High latency with 15.16

Warren Post

Jul 7, 2013, 2:06:30 PM7/7/13
I've just upgraded to opera-12.16-1860 from 12.15, both 64 bit, on my
Mageia 2 box. Now I experience noticeable latency in Opera. Closing a
tab in use might take two or three seconds, during which time the
browser becomes unresponsive. Merely maximizing or unmaximizing the
browser might take half a second.

Usenet and web searches turned up no reports of similar problems, and
very brief checks of 15.16 on other hardware and OSs (Ubuntu 12.10 and
Windows 7) couldn't reproduce the problem. So I suspect a preexisting
configuration issue on my box that Opera 12.16 brings to light. Sadly,
Opera's changelog isn't detailed enough to give me any clues:

http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/unified/1216/

Any thoughts on what I might look at to track down this problem?

--
Warren Post
http://my.opera.com/wpost/

Jorgen Grahn

Jul 7, 2013, 4:41:12 PM7/7/13
On Sun, 2013-07-07, Warren Post wrote:
> I've just upgraded to opera-12.16-1860 from 12.15, both 64 bit, on my
> Mageia 2 box. Now I experience noticeable latency in Opera. Closing a
> tab in use might take two or three seconds, during which time the
> browser becomes unresponsive. Merely maximizing or unmaximizing the
> browser might take half a second.
>
> Usenet and web searches turned up no reports of similar problems, and
> very brief checks of 15.16 on other hardware and OSs (Ubuntu 12.10 and
^^^^^
You mean 12.16 here and in the title, right?

> Windows 7) couldn't reproduce the problem. So I suspect a preexisting
> configuration issue on my box that Opera 12.16 brings to light.

I've seen the same tab closing symptoms on Windows Vista, with I think
various 12.x releases. Very annoying. Try with a clean config
(~/.opera) -- it felt like something that could be triggered by
config.

I have not seen it on Linux or the Windows 7 I have to use at work.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

Warren Post

Jul 7, 2013, 11:59:24 PM7/7/13
On 07/07/2013 02:41 PM, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-07-07, Warren Post wrote:
>> Usenet and web searches turned up no reports of similar problems, and
>> very brief checks of 15.16 on other hardware and OSs (Ubuntu 12.10 and
> ^^^^^
> You mean 12.16 here and in the title, right?

Yes, good catch. My apologies for the bad proofreading.

> Try with a clean config (~/.opera)

This solves the issue; many thanks. Under normal circumstances I'd
slowly restore bits of my old .opera file to determine what caused the
problem. But my .opera is so old that I figure I'm better off starting
over with a clean slate, even if it means reconfiguring my preferences.

Thanks for the help,

Jorgen Grahn

Jul 8, 2013, 3:51:21 PM7/8/13
You're welcome. I'd still call it a bug though -- recreating your
config is annoying, especially the font configuration which I find
hard to recreate.

Warren Post

Jul 10, 2013, 1:09:53 PM7/10/13
Wandering off topic here, I have over the years tried and failed to
learn which files in ~/.opera to back up and restore in order to quickly
apply all my preferences to a fresh install of Opera. I wish they were
better documented.