cpu load increasing

1 view

Jerry Heyman

Jul 30, 2013, 1:07:14 PM7/30/13

With the last several bug fixes to the flash plugin on x86_64 I've notice
a huge increase in cpu load when running Opera. I've seen it with all
versions since 12.13 (currently running 12.16 on x86_64).

My AMD Phenom II x6 system has a variable speed fan to cool it, and when
I start up Opera (and the associated 12 tabs that it opens up), the fan
goes into aircraft engine mode - spinning up really loudly. Running 'top'
shows the opera:libflash process chewing through 40%+ of my CPU and
Opera itself comes up to 100%. Killing the libflash process reduces
the CPU load and Opera comes back down to < 30%.

Is there something special with the latest flash plugin releases that
are causing this problem?

System:

Mageia 3 x86_64
Phenom II x6
12GB Memory
1TB disk

$ rpm -qa | grep flash
kipi-plugins-flashexport-3.1.0-2.mga3
flash-plugin-11.2.202.297-release

jerry
--
// Jerry Heyman | The single most exciting thing you
// Amigan Forever :-) | encounter in government is competence,