Running moonlight on Ubuntu opera

Victor Schneider, Ph. D.

Mar 10, 2013, 8:45:51 AM3/10/13
Supposedly, the real problem with moonlight is that, once developed, Linux
browsers developed away from compatibility with it, meaning the only way
to view silverlight streaming video was in Windows or Mac, not Linux. Some
recent versions of Ubuntu feature browsers that are not completely hostile
to the old moonlight plugin, and you can indeed view some, but not all,
streaming silverlight using moonlight. Also, wikipedia lists opera as one
of the browsers compatible with silverlight.

So, I downloaded opera on my Ubuntu, went into the advanced settings, and
added the path to the installed firefox moonlight to the plugins search
path of opera. And, nothing. Gee, guys, imagine what the world would be
like if people actually had no need for Windows, and opera was part of
this. Would that make you unpopular?

Breathlessly waiting an email response from a real opera developer keen on
getting moonlight working.

Warren Post

Mar 10, 2013, 10:42:00 AM3/10/13
The Moonlight project was abandoned last year:

http://www.infoq.com/news/2012/05/Miguel-Moonlight

And even on Windows, Silverlight is not officially supported on Opera:

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/get-started/install/default.aspx

(click on "System Requirements" in the link above to see supported browsers)

So I'd be surprised if Opera were to invest scarce dev resources on a
project that isn't supported upstream. This sounds more like a "if you
can figure it out yourself, post it here" weekend project.

--
Warren Post
http://my.opera.com/wpost/

Jorgen Grahn

Mar 10, 2013, 12:05:51 PM3/10/13
On Sun, 2013-03-10, Victor Schneider, Ph. D. wrote:
> Supposedly, the real problem with moonlight is

Actually, the real problem with moonlight is werewolves ...

> Breathlessly waiting an email response from a real opera developer keen on
> getting moonlight working.

I'm not sure any Opera developers read opera.linux these days, but if
they do they are more likely to respond if you're less sarcastic and
more informative. E.g. what versions of Opera, Firefox & Moonlight do
you have installed, and what's a simple URL that shows the problem?

Personally I cannot help. I try to stay away from all plugins.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .