Screenshots

Roel Wagenaar

May 28, 2013, 4:30:24 AM5/28/13

If opening a new tab or window Opera offers the possibility to make shortcuts to
some favourite sites with previews of the sites, how are these previews made, is
the process accessable from outside Opera?

I'm on Debian wheezy on AMD64.

--
Roel Wagenaar,

Linux-User #469851 with the Linux Counter; http://linuxcounter.net/

Antw.: Omdat het de volgorde verstoord waarin mensen tekst lezen.
Vraag: Waarom is top-posting een slechte gewoonte?
Antw.: Top-posting.
Vraag: Wat is het meest ergerlijke in e-mail?

Ignorence is when you don't know anything and somebody finds out.

Nieuwslezer

May 29, 2013, 10:59:53 AM5/29/13
Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen <ei...@opera.com> wrote:

> Roel Wagenaar <ro...@wagenaar.nu> writes:
>
> > If opening a new tab or window Opera offers the possibility to make
shortcuts to
> > some favourite sites with previews of the sites, how are these previews
made, is
> > the process accessable from outside Opera?
> >
> > I'm on Debian wheezy on AMD64.
>
> Opera makes thumbnails of web pages for different reasons, and I'm
> pretty sure it is always done by just setting up an "offscreen tab" and
> render the page there to generate the thumbnails. Probably with some
> tricks to improve the quality of the thumbnails.
>
> If you ask whether another application can request such a thumbnail from
> opera I would say that I find that extremely unlikely.
>
> (It may be that some of the thumbnails are stored on disk so we don't
> have to make them again later. If we do that, it could be possible to
> set up opera to create the thumbnail and then grab it from disk. Or you
> could probably start up opera with the web page, take a screen capture
> and use that as your thumbnail. But I suspect none of these really do
> what you want.)
>
> eirik

Not realy no, I am creating a number of different statistic web pages on my
server and would like to create an index page to access them in the way opera is
doing, since I am not very good at either HTML or PHP, I was looking for a way
to use opera for that, bad luck.

Thanks for the heads-up.

--
Roel Wagenaar

email: replace nietgeldig with familie-wagenaar in from address.
Linux-User #469851 with the Linux Counter, http://linuxcounter.net/

In a world without doors and walls who needs Windows and Gates?

Jorgen Grahn

May 30, 2013, 10:09:55 AM5/30/13
On Wed, 2013-05-29, Nieuwslezer wrote:

[And "Nieuwslezer" is the same person as the OP below. The name change
confused me for a while.]

> Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen <ei...@opera.com> wrote:
>
>> Roel Wagenaar <ro...@wagenaar.nu> writes:
>>
>> > If opening a new tab or window Opera offers the possibility to make
> shortcuts to
>> > some favourite sites with previews of the sites, how are these previews
> made, is
>> > the process accessable from outside Opera?
>> >
>> > I'm on Debian wheezy on AMD64.
>>
>> Opera makes thumbnails of web pages for different reasons, and I'm
>> pretty sure it is always done by just setting up an "offscreen tab" and
>> render the page there to generate the thumbnails. Probably with some
>> tricks to improve the quality of the thumbnails.
>>
>> If you ask whether another application can request such a thumbnail from
>> opera I would say that I find that extremely unlikely.
>>
>> (It may be that some of the thumbnails are stored on disk so we don't
>> have to make them again later. If we do that, it could be possible to
>> set up opera to create the thumbnail and then grab it from disk. Or you
>> could probably start up opera with the web page, take a screen capture
>> and use that as your thumbnail. But I suspect none of these really do
>> what you want.)
>>
>> eirik
>
> Not realy no, I am creating a number of different statistic web pages on my

"Static web pages" or "statistics web pages"?

> server and would like to create an index page to access them in the way opera is
> doing,

You're talking about the speed dial, right?

> since I am not very good at either HTML or PHP, I was looking for a way
> to use opera for that, bad luck.

I don't see how either HTML or PHP would help ... I see two possible
interpretations:

1. You want general thumbnails like the ones in the Speed Dial.
Then you need some tool where you can say "give me
http://example.com like it would look in a popular browser,
and scale it to a 200x140 JPEG image". Perhaps there are such
tools, but then they are likely to be based on one of the free
rendering engines like the one in Firefox, not Opera's.
Perhaps there are such services on the web too.

2. You really meant your web pages contain statistics, maybe one big
x-y plot each, generated using some tool. Then you can use the
same tool to generate a small JPEG or PNG version of the graph
instead of a large one, or whatever the web version is.
I've done this successfully using gnuplot, for example -- although
I think I got the best results when I generated a full-scale picture
and scaled it down using netpbm.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .