Opera 12 Alpha Experiences

Aaron W. Hsu

Oct 14, 2011, 10:21:13 PM10/14/11
Has anyone given the new version 12 alpha for a spin? Any responses or
feedback? I'm curious to know how performance feels, and whether it feels
as stable or as fit and finished as a regular version, or does it still
feel very rough and prototypical?

Aaron W. Hsu

--
Programming is just another word for the Lost Art of Thinking.

Ed Jay

Oct 15, 2011, 1:11:04 AM10/15/11
Aaron W. Hsu wrote:

>Has anyone given the new version 12 alpha for a spin? Any responses or
>feedback? I'm curious to know how performance feels, and whether it feels
>as stable or as fit and finished as a regular version, or does it still
>feel very rough and prototypical?

I'm very pleased with its performance. No glitches, fast and smooth.

--
Ed Jay (remove 'M' to reply by email)

Win the War Against Breast Cancer.
Knowing the facts could save your life.
http://www.breastthermography.info

ge...@none.net

Oct 15, 2011, 2:05:44 PM10/15/11
On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 22:21:13 -0400
"Aaron W. Hsu" <arc...@sacrideo.us> wrote:

> Has anyone given the new version 12 alpha for a spin? Any responses
> or feedback? I'm curious to know how performance feels, and whether
> it feels as stable or as fit and finished as a regular version, or
> does it still feel very rough and prototypical?

This alpha was well tested pre-alpha, so it's pretty far along, tho
incomplete. Overall it's worked well here and is a little faster, though
my settings files come from a long way back, one from as far back as
9.27, so it's not like I'm seeing or using everything a new install
would. I've seen a few new website issues here and there, but nothing
major. Hardware acceleration can be turned off in user prefs
(enable...=0) if needed at this point, as it's not working for everyone.
Check the developers' blog discussion, which is now up toward 400
comments.

Gene

Aaron W. Hsu

Oct 15, 2011, 9:29:34 PM10/15/11
On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 14:05:44 -0400, <ge...@none.net> wrote:

> Check the developers' blog discussion, which is now up toward 400
> comments.

I love the developer's blog, but it's soo hard to follow conversations and
wade through the massive amounts of information there, some of which has
very little value to me as a potential experimenter. I've been waiting to
try out all of the new features in the latest versions, and it has been
hard to resist! I don't like losing information, and I've had a bit of
that happen to me in the past, so holding back a bit has served me well,
but I have a compulsion that is hard to resist when it comes to playing
with the latest toys.

Bob Runyon

Dec 16, 2011, 2:24:56 PM12/16/11
I have been using 12 alpha for several weeks now and I have found that it
has ran well for me so far. I run the 11.6 version at work and 12 at home.

wrote:

> Has anyone given the new version 12 alpha for a spin? Any responses or
> feedback? I'm curious to know how performance feels, and whether it
> feels as stable or as fit and finished as a regular version, or does it
> still feel very rough and prototypical?
>
> Aaron W. Hsu

Jerry Heyman

Dec 16, 2011, 9:46:48 PM12/16/11
Bob Runyon wrote:

> I have been using 12 alpha for several weeks now and I have found that it
> has ran well for me so far. I run the 11.6 version at work and 12 at home.

I've been using opera-next (12.00) for quite a while - originally as a
32bit app, and now as a 64bit app. I have been impressed with Opera for
years, having been a paying customer back in the 4.x days.

Seems to work just fine - there are still crashes, and when it happens,
I report them. The number of crashes has steadily reduced with each new
build of opera-next.

BTW, I'm still using 11.60 (64bit) on my work related laptop.

jerry

--
// Jerry Heyman | "It is incumbent on every
generation
| - Thomas Jefferson

ge...@none.net

Dec 17, 2011, 9:21:23 PM12/17/11
On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 21:46:48 -0500
Jerry Heyman <hey...@acm.org> wrote:

> Bob Runyon wrote:
>
> > I have been using 12 alpha for several weeks now and I have found
> > that it has ran well for me so far. I run the 11.6 version at work
> > and 12 at home.
>
> I've been using opera-next (12.00) for quite a while - originally as
> a 32bit app, and now as a 64bit app. I have been impressed with
> Opera for years, having been a paying customer back in the 4.x days.
>
> Seems to work just fine - there are still crashes, and when it
> happens, I report them. The number of crashes has steadily reduced
> with each new build of opera-next.
>
> BTW, I'm still using 11.60 (64bit) on my work related laptop.

AFAIK, Opera hasn't released a 64-bit Windows version. Quick way to
check is to see where it's stored: Program Files (x86) or Program
Files. There is a Opera Labs version, which is built on the latest
Opera 12 -
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/64-bit-opera-and-out-of-process-plug-ins/

Gene