Periodic and Intermittent Repeating of Events

All Things IoT

Nov 30, 2020, 11:35:44 AM11/30/20
to OpenZWave

Hi,

 We have a number of Fibaro door sensors (FGBW002  v3.2 ZW5) installed in a number of homes, the majority work as expected however we have noticed that a few of these sensors are misbehaving with 2 different types of problem.

Periodic Repeating of event:

The first issue that we have is that of periodic sending of the same event, for example we have a door sensor that will every 4m30s send an open or closed message depending upon the state of the sensor. If in between the door is opened or closed then as expected a new event will be sent with the change in state. However from then on an event with the new value is repeatedly sent every 4m30s.

Intermittent Events:
​​​​​​​The second issue we have encountered is that of intermittent sending of events, in these instances we receive a flurry of events from the device the same sequence of events that one would expect to see if the battery had been removed then replaced, however no one has been near the sensor to interact with it. While not periodic, once a sensor starts to misbehave this way, we will see the more than one example of this behaviour from the sensor.

As I mention at that beginning this is only a small portion of the total number of sensors that we have that behave like this. We have compared the firmware versions on the sensors reporting back to the controller and they are the same firmware versions.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues to this? Or know of a fix?

Thanks in advance for any insights or advice.

ric...@uitdelft.nl

Dec 3, 2020, 6:19:00 AM12/3/20
to OpenZWave
I have not experienced this behaviour myself (or have not identified it as such). If I'd have to guess though as to what might cause this, I'd say the 'unwanted' extra messages were re-transmits by the sensor devices because they never received an acknowledgement for their last report(s).

Did you check the (return) routes for the misbehaving devices? To test my hypothesis I would suggest to put an additional mains-powered, routing device in between one device that is known to fail often and its controller to improve the quality of the return route from the sensor into the controller. If the sensor no longer shows the problematic behaviour in this new situation, my conclusion would be that your problem is likely reception related. It may well be that healing your network (refreshing known neighbours tables in the devices in the network) can also fix the problem. At the very least I would suggest to do an analysis on the distances between the controller/nearest routing device and the failing sensors: are the failing devices further than average from their controller/nearest routing device?

All Things IoT

Dec 8, 2020, 5:12:10 AM12/8/20
to OpenZWave
Hi rrozema

Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate your suggestions, but this is alas not the case. The device will happily report sate changes that we make correctly with and without power sockets acting as a hop/mesh. I have been able to repeat this behaviour many times with experiments on my bench. It would appear to be a combination of certain sensors and certain batteries. The battery in a different door sensor does not cause the issue, the same battery put back in the original sensor and it happens again. A different battery in the original sensor caused no issue at all while a 3rd battery caused the repeat interval to be 15m20s. I have tried this misbehaving sensor on a number of different controllers (Zway UZB) and hubs (RRis) with both our stack and Home Assistant to the same end result.

Keith Laidlaw

Dec 8, 2020, 10:01:55 AM12/8/20
to OpenZWave
Just a thought.  If the battery voltage drops low enough devices can misbehave (operate erratically) or reset (appear as if the battery has been just installed).

It could be that the batteries that cause the problem are slightly lower voltage.  It could be that the switches that cause the problem require slightly higher voltage. Also, it could be that periodically the switches transmit and/or draw more power periodically (e.g. at a wakeup interval).  At such a time, current draw would be higher, effectively lowering battery voltage.

I'm thinking your problem is low battery.  The switch might be reporting ample battery but I would put a meter on it to see.

Richard Rozema

Dec 9, 2020, 6:28:27 AM12/9/20
to open...@googlegroups.com
The battery being the difference, that certainly is odd. If you use a voltmeter to measure the both batteries, do they show different voltages? Are those batteries maybe different compositions (lithium, zinc, etc). I've got a misbehaving door sensor myself. It is Neo Coolcam make, so not comparable at all to yours, but given your suggestion I'm going to try it with different types of batteries too. Thanks ;-)