TBOOT: ERR: CPU does not support SMX

myne something

Jun 15, 2019, 8:09:20 AM6/15/19
to openxt
Hi all.
Been playing around with this project on and off for a while. Great idea.

Getting error:

TBOOT: ERR: CPU does not support SMX

Depending on whether it's set to BIOS CSM or UEFI mode, it'll stop with that during the initial load from the iso (bios), or it'll actually install but error right at the end of installation with "install failed" and no other information. It'll then boot but throw CPU does not support SMX (uefi).

Have googled a lot about SMX and can't find too much on how to enable/check for it.

Older versions like 7.00 Build 1340 used to work on this machine - even in virtualbox/vmware player.
9 never has does not.

CPU: Kaby Lake 7600k.
Chipset: Z170 VT-X enabled, TPM 2.0 enabled.

Apparently this CPU doesn't support V-Pro but I haven't been able to find out whether SMX is part of that or not.

I realise this may be by design that it should not work.
Is Vpro now a required feature?
I realise you may not want to support versions for ordinary desktop users.

But if it IS supposed to work...

What can I do to figure this out?

Thanks!

Daniel Smith

Jul 1, 2019, 9:20:30 AM7/1/19
to myne something, openxt
---- On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 08:09:20 -0400 myne something <myn...@gmail.com> wrote ----

Greetings Myne Something,

Apologies that no one else from the community has take the time to respond.

The focus of OpenXT is hardware rooted security which we use Intel's TXT capability to achieve this approach. The CPU mode for TXT is called Secure Mode Execution, i.e. SMX. Unfortunately in the infinite wisdom of Intel Marketing, TXT is typically only available on V-Pro platforms. With that said, you can install OpenXT without TXT support it is that you will not be able use the strong assurances TXT can provide. To install with TXT, during the installation select that you do not want to install "Measured Launch".

Speaking for myself, I want to see OpenXT be usable by any type of user. What would better enable that is for hardware vendors to start making strong security mechanism like TXT more prolific instead of reserving it only for business class devices.

V/r,
Daniel P. Smith
Apertus Solutions, LLC

myne something

Jul 2, 2019, 5:45:27 AM7/2/19
to openxt
Thanks for the reply!

I have tried without measured launch.
It still doesn't work.
In Vmware workstation it wont even boot from the iso to install it. It loops.
  TBOOT: IA32_FEATURE_CONTROL_MSR: 00000005
  TBOOT: ERR: CPU does not support SMX

On Virtualbox UEFI mode installs but won't boot with the error:
  Failed to load image: not found
  start_image() returned not found

and cycles through the usual boot menu items "Boot Failed Open XT/Console/etc

And on actual bare metal it gets to the end and says "Installation failed" with no error at all!

But, Build 1340 works fine (obviously without Measured Launch).

I'll run through a bare metal install and take a few snaps to upload in a bit.

Cheers.

myne something

Jul 2, 2019, 6:32:29 AM7/2/19
to openxt
Here's the install error on bare metal.

On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 11:20:30 PM UTC+10, Daniel Smith wrote:
20190702_202203.jpg
20190702_202434.jpg

Daniel Smith

Jul 2, 2019, 1:33:47 PM7/2/19
to myne something, openxt
Thank you! Looks like you tripped over a bug in our installer. We have opened up a JIRA ticket if you want to track the issue.

V/r,
Daniel P. Smith
Apertus Solutions, LLC

---- On Tue, 02 Jul 2019 06:32:29 -0400 myne something <myn...@gmail.com> wrote ----

Here's the install error on bare metal.

Jason Andryuk

Jul 2, 2019, 3:03:24 PM7/2/19
to Daniel Smith, myne something, openxt
On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 1:33 PM Daniel Smith
<dps...@apertussolutions.com> wrote:

> Thank you! Looks like you tripped over a bug in our installer. We have opened up a JIRA ticket if you want to track the issue.
>
> https://openxt.atlassian.net/browse/OXT-1632

Myne,

Installation fails since you have two drives with ESP partitions. If
you are trying to dual-boot, it will not work. You could either
remove one of the drives and install OpenXT on the other. Or wipe
both drives and let OpenXT install onto one of them. Obviously that's
only if you are willing to sacrifice the data.

Regards,
Jason

myne something

Jul 3, 2019, 8:51:32 AM7/3/19
to openxt
Ah.
That's a pain. M.2 on the back side of the board. Not easy to remove.
I'm not exactly ready to commit that much effort to something that doesn't definitely work.

Any idea why it no longer works in VMware workstation etc like the old builds?

myne something

Jul 3, 2019, 8:52:07 AM7/3/19
to openxt
Thanks!
I'll keep an eye on it.

On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 5:03:24 AM UTC+10, Jason Andryuk wrote:
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

myne something

Jul 12, 2019, 9:43:47 AM7/12/19
to openxt
does this reply work? They keep getting auto deleted..?