Bluetooth simulator for android

Alessandro Alfonzetti

Dec 31, 2021, 4:43:59 AM12/31/21
to OpenXC
Hi everyone, I just started working with openxc for a project.
I would like to test my app with bluetooth connection without buying hardware yet.
I downloaded the starter app, the enabler app and the trace file and in the starter app I can see the engine speed changing real time.
My question is: with the enabler app and the trace file, can I simulate a vehicle adapter over bluetooth and try my app on a different smartphone? Like your web server simulator but over bluetooth.
Thanks in advance.

Eric Marsman

Jan 5, 2022, 10:28:25 AM1/5/22
to OpenXC
Hello,

No, we don't really offer the availability of another bluetooth source besides our VI devices. As you noted, the Android Enabler App offers trace files playback, network simulator, or phone sensors as a standin for bluetooth data. I suppose you could hook something up to send JSON messages over some other bluetooth device (RPi, python on laptop, etc) or edit the Enabler app to output trace file messages over Bluetooth instead, but I'm not sure I see the value. The bluetooth communication is handled in the Enabler app and is pretty widely used. Most common issues are correct VI configuration for your vehicle - the bluetooth part is pretty straightforward.

Regards,
Eric

John Schmotzer

Jan 5, 2022, 11:18:54 AM1/5/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Its not a bad idea....

maybe someone wants to kick off the work effort to create a simulated vehicle over different communication channels:

Bluetooth
Cellular
WiFi

etc.....

John W. Schmotzer

Eric Marsman

Jan 5, 2022, 12:13:29 PM1/5/22
to OpenXC
That already exists for WiFi. Would just need to direct the output to the appropriate interface to support others.