VI won't communicate over Bluetooth

Ty

Nov 22, 2020, 11:25:22 AM11/22/20
to OpenXC
I got a brand new Ford Reference VI, installed latest firmware (8.1.0 emulator), confirmed it's properly installed and sending data using openxc-control version and openxc-dump over the USB

Problem is, I can't get it working with OpenXC enabler app on Android. I've tried a few different versions of Android phones and tables and none of them is receiving anything from the bluetooth while the app itself shows it's connected to the VI over the bluetooth.

I also tried a different firmware (8.1.0 translated) and plugged it in my car as a last resort to see if it makes any difference but I only see different LED  color lighted up. When it was connected to the PC over USB, it shows red light but when connected to the vehicle's OBC port, it shows nice cool blue light, but still no bluetooth activities.

I am becoming suspicious of a defective bluetooth part of the hardware but before I send it back for replacement, I wonder if there's anything else I can try to confirm the BT connectivity issue.

Thanks,
Ty

Eric Marsman

Dec 2, 2020, 11:16:56 AM12/2/20
to OpenXC
Hello Ty,

Apologies for the delayed response. Emulator is definitely the right approach to make sure the connection is working. Are you able to find and pair with the device in the Android Bluetooth settings? Pair in the OS first, and then open Enabler and search for it there. You can also go in the settings and make it look only for your device based on name.

Since you are testing with multiple Android devices, make sure only one is able to pair with the VI. It only supports a single host connection.

If you can share which Android devices and versions you are using, we can try and confirm on our side.

Thanks,
Eric

Ty

Dec 5, 2020, 10:40:19 AM12/5/20
to OpenXC
Hi Eric,

That was it! While flashing the dongle and setting it up, I must have messed it up and paired it with multiple Android devices. With fresh new pairing with Android phone (Google Pixel w/ Android 10), now I can see the Enabler app is properly connected showing random sensor data while the dongle itself has nice red and blue LED on. Now I can move on and do something more interesting.

Cheers,
Ty

2020년 12월 2일 수요일 오전 8시 16분 56초 UTC-8에 Eric Marsman님이 작성: