Reading gear number, wheel position, etc

Mica

Aug 13, 2020, 1:42:20 PM8/13/20
to OpenXC
Hello, I've been looking for an ODB2 hatdwired inerface to retrieve few readings from Ford 550 and output it as a digital signals (voltage or current) or a serial communication.

The "DIY chipKIT-based VI" might be able to do the job for me. Before ordering I would like to confirm if I can retrieve from Ford 550 to Arduino any of the following measurements:

Gear number,
Steering wheel position,
Acceleration pedal position
Drive, Neutral, Reverse and parking status?

Eric Marsman

Aug 17, 2020, 2:16:11 PM8/17/20
to OpenXC
Hi Mica,

Are you talking about an E550 or and F550? One is a van and one is a truck.

Unfortunately, OpenXC doesn't support the F-550. This uses a different OBD-II protocol.

We have had success on the E-350, but not sure about the E-550. I would have to check if it is the same. Please let me know.

Also, I would not recommend the ChipKit VI. It is the oldest version. I would recommend the Reference VI if OpenXC is compatible with your vehicle.

Regards,
Eric

Mica

Aug 17, 2020, 11:18:35 PM8/17/20
to OpenXC
Hi Eric,
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on a pilot project that involves Ford F550 with a trailer which is operated by a hydraulic motor and controlled by a PLC ( programmable logic controller). The PLC should do the synchronization of a speed, wheel position, controls trailer breaking system etc.

I was looking for a hardwired (communication or analog signlas) to connect to the PLC.
Alternatively I could try to use a PLC with a CANbus support.
Does the Reference VI have a hardwired interface option?

Thank you,
Mica

Eric Marsman

Aug 18, 2020, 3:26:06 PM8/18/20
to OpenXC
Sorry, the F-550 uses the Heavy Duty truck OBD standard which is different than standard cars.

OpenXC doesn't support those.

Regards,
Eric

Michael Katcharovski

Aug 19, 2020, 8:03:36 PM8/19/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Eric for the guidance.
Now I know that I need to look for device which supports J1939 protocol.
Not sure how popular it is and have available translation solutions.

Many thanks,
Mica

Mica

Jan 2, 2021, 1:18:55 AM1/2/21
to OpenXC
Hi Eric,
Happy New Year!
Following our previous conversation about Ford-550 data retrieval it seams (based on the Ford F-550 ODB-II plug pinout) the car is utilizing ISO15765 protocol.
I was able to read a stream of data by connecting to the vehicle on pins 6 & 14 of the diagnostic port utilizing Phoenix Contact PLC with a dedicated CanBus interface card.
The problem is that I don't know what am I reading. Need to dissect the stream and filter it out. I thought that connecting the Phoenix PLC card to an ECU simulator would allow me to understand how filter the required parameters out. Can VI do the simulation job sending out few known parameters?

Thank you,
Michael

Eric Marsman

Jan 4, 2021, 1:57:12 PM1/4/21
to OpenXC
This should get you started towards what you are trying to accomplish.

Regards,
Eric

GUIDO MAURICIO OLIVA BENAVIDES

Nov 13, 2021, 11:10:19 PM11/13/21
to OpenXC
Eric,

Before going further into the use of the OpenXC api, I would like to know if through the API it is only possible to listen to the CAN port, or if I can also write to the memory of the ECUs of the vehicles. If it is possible to write or change the ECUs (example: modify speed limits or other parameters), thank you for sending me an example link. Thank you.

Eric Marsman

Nov 15, 2021, 11:13:14 AM11/15/21
to OpenXC