openxc write message & bluetooth connection

zhou xiang

May 29, 2020, 11:26:48 PM5/29/20
to OpenXC
HI All,

I am using the Ford VI , and using the firmware downloaded from the ford developer website:
vi-firmware-type3-FORDBOARD-ctv7.3.0-csv8.0.0.bin
for the ford mustang 2018

Question 1:
When i run the command :
 write --name turn_signal_status --value left

then the error will pop up as below , does anyone has any ideas, what is is about?

$  openxc-control write --name turn_signal_status --value left
Exception ignored in: <bound method _Initializer.__del__ of <usb.backend.libusb1._Initializer object at 0x1041a2e48>>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/erikzhou/anaconda3/envs/ass3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/usb/backend/libusb1.py", line 436, in __del__
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'libusb_exit'

openxc-dump, and openxc-dashboard is working fine

Question 2:
Also , looks like I am problem connecting the bluetooth, occasionally it will connect but then just drop off very quckly ...

Appreciate your help!
Erik

Eric Marsman

Jun 2, 2020, 9:10:46 AM6/2/20
to OpenXC
Hi Erik,

The standard type3 firmware does NOT allow CAN writes. Per your other question, you need to configure the firmware to understand how to write a signal. And writing by name requires the firmware translating these commands into CAN frames.

For question 2, I'm not sure without any error messages or more info. What vehicle are you connected to? What phone and app version are you using? I'm assuming you're using the same firmware as below. Does it drop when you try and write? Are you getting the expected data in the dashboard before it drops?

Regards,
Eric

zhou xiang

Jun 3, 2020, 5:21:12 AM6/3/20
to OpenXC
Thank you Eric for you kindly reply!

So How to I know which type of firmware can do what , is there any documentations?
All I can find is this:

So what I want to achieve is to take control of the vehicle , throttle and steering( to achieve some degree of self-driving) , I bought the ford OpenXC to save the
trouble of reverse engineering the CAN bus message translation, is there any resources, documentations to achieve the control? Much appreciated!

I was using the mac book pro bluetooth to connect with the Openxc and it just connect briefly occasionally and then lost , there is no error message ,since most of the time it would not connect through bluetooth at all ,the
USB connects seems fine.

Thanks again for your help!
Erik

Eric Marsman

Jun 8, 2020, 9:02:49 AM6/8/20
to OpenXC
Hi Erik,

No, we do not provide pre-built firmware that can do that. You will have to build your own with this information

I have not seen the behavior you describe over bluetooth. But we typically use Android phone Bluetooth.

Regards,
Eric