Smoke Test Not Working

Tim Eisenhower

Aug 11, 2020, 11:20:00 PM8/11/20
to OpenXC
I recently purchased a Ford Reference VI (no sticker v1.0 bootloader).  When I try the smoke test with Python over USB I receive an error asking if the device is plugged in.  If I pair via bluetooth it comes back with a version number of "None".  If I try using the Enabler on a vehicle (2009 Mini Cooper Clubman), it connects but no version information is displayed.  I try flashing different bin builds for version 8.0.0 and 7.1.1.

Eric Marsman

Aug 12, 2020, 9:29:32 AM8/12/20
to OpenXC
Hi Tim,

Which firmware type are you loading on the device? I would recommend the "emulator" firmware from github release. The device will power over USB and spit out fake data. This is useful for debugging the connection issues. Please share the results with emulator firmware.

For your 2009 vehicle, you only be able to use the obd2 or translated_obd2 firmware.

Regards,
Eric

Tim Eisenhower

Aug 22, 2020, 9:36:36 PM8/22/20
to OpenXC
Hi Eric,

Thank you for your response.  I have not had time to troubleshoot further until today.

I tried loading the "emulator" firmware but when I try executing openxc-control version with the VI device connected via USB I still receive the "No USB vehicle interface detected - is one plugged in?" error.  When I connect it to my 2016 Subaru Crosstrek via bluetooth, the Status Dashboard, Active Connections has a bluetooth symbol next to it, but there is nothing for VI Version, VI Device ID or VI Platform.

I tried two different USB cables to eliminate a bad cable, but I am able to connect to the VI to flash the firmware with the bootloader-flash.sh shell script.

I starting to think that I have a faulty FORD REFERENCE VI.  What are your thoughts?

Thank you,
~Tim

Eric Marsman

Aug 26, 2020, 9:21:47 AM8/26/20
to OpenXC
Hi Tim,

What type of PC are you connecting to with the USB and did you install the libusb drivers for the reference VI?

After flashing emulator and then plugging into the PC, what did the lights on the VI do?

The only firmware that will work on your Subaru will be the translated_obd2 firmware (or the regular obd2 firmware if you want to send your own requests). I'd recommend translated_obd2, but only after you get the emulator firmware working to confirm your USB setup.

No, I don't think your reference VI is faulty.

Regards,
Eric

Tim Eisenhower

Aug 29, 2020, 5:18:16 PM8/29/20
to OpenXC
Hi Eric,

I am using a Lenovo T480s running Manjaro Linux.  The libusb drivers were included with the Manjaro XFCE distro.

Because my reference VI did not have a sticker I used the mtools script to flash the VI.  After flashing it, both LEDs lite up half red, half green and never changed, even when attempting to connect.  I then realized that OpenXC was etched into the  plastic so I thought maybe the etching replaced the sticker.  I then mounted the VI and copied the emulator binary to the VI.  After doing this, the LED on the side of the VI without the micro USB port turned red after un-mounting and reconnecting the USB.  I reinstalled the openxc Python library and libusb drivers.  With the emulator binary I then can retrieve the version info (same red LED and the other one flashes green while retrieving version) , although it still threw some errors.

The XC enabler on my moto X4 now works with both my 2009 Mini Cooper and 2016 Subaru Crosstrek.  I flashed the translated odbc binary and it output trace files.  I'm not able to connect with the USB interface on either car with Python on my laptop.  I was able to connect with bluetooth on both cars (both LEDs turn blue) with my laptop.  The bluetooth interface on the laptop indicated a good connection and data transferring.  There is no output with openxc-dump but it does find the VI and connect with the following:

Discovered OpenXC VI OpenXC-VI-6D49 (00:06:66:6E:6D:49)
Opened bluetooth device at 1
<SourceLogger(Thread-2, started daemon 140587250697792)> doesn't support logging

I agree with you that the reference VI is not faulty.  The Python library appears to be a bit buggy.  I was able to do some Googling to fix a couple bugs.  Perhaps because Manjaro is a rolling release, the libusb is too new. I will keep plugging away and learning along the way.

I don't have any experience with developing Android apps,  but I have dabbled with Java.  Android appears to be a more mature platform.  Perhaps I'll switch to using Android.

I appreciate your help.

Regards,
~Tim

Eric Marsman

Sep 11, 2020, 8:40:59 AM9/11/20
to OpenXC
Hi Tim,

Glad you made some progress. We have just migrated to py3 so there may be some issues. We have confirmed core functionality on the platforms we have available, but there could be other issues like you said. Please report anything that you find.

Let us know if we can help any further.

Thanks,
Eric