Compatability with all manufacturers.

Blair

Nov 4, 2021, 11:09:07 AM11/4/21
to OpenXC
I'm just curious what hardware from the openxc site is compatible with all US manufacturers? I purchased the Ford VI and got it to worked with a ford focus, but not with a Mercedes-Benz or a Nissan? Is this because of the .bin file?

The file i'm using on the hardware is the obd2-translated file.

If I purchased the CrossChasm BT or BLE would I have better luck with other manufacturers?

Thanks in advance.

Eric Marsman

Nov 9, 2021, 11:06:19 AM11/9/21
to OpenXC
The OpenXC VIs use OBD-II pins 6,14 & 3,11 which should be compatible with other vehicles. OpenXC only supports CAN data for Ford vehicles with our released firmware on developer.ford.com. You can build your own firmware if you have CAN information for the other manufactures.

OBD-II Diagnostics should be the same across manufacturers for standard PIDS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs). The translated-obd2 firmware sends just a few automatically. You can send your own from any of the OpenXC apps.

You shouldn't see a difference between the Reference VI or C5s across manufacturers. It is likely a bus speed or configuration if you are not seeing any data on the other vehicles.