adding nuget package takes ages

Gareth

Nov 4, 2011, 7:44:27 AM11/4/11
to OpenWrap Development Mailing List
So first off i should say that im a noob to openwrap - we've been
using nuget for our package management but want to look at switching
to openwrap instead.

I followed the instructions for adding a nuget feed found here
https://github.com/openrasta/openwrap/wiki/Nuget and all seemed to
work fine, i did not test it with the o list-wrap -remote nu command
though. However when i try to add a wrap such as

o add-wrap mongocsharpdriver

it takes an age (minutes) to add it - i fired up fiddler and what
seems to be happening is that every time i attempt to add a wrap it
fires off 130 requests to nuget, similar to below

http://packages.nuget.org/v1/FeedService.svc/Packages?$skiptoken='FubuMVC.Diagnostics','0.9.1.591'

but with each request changing the $skiptoken value. Is this expected
behaviour? Have i done something wrong?

Thanks for any advice

Gareth

Sebastien Lambla

Nov 4, 2011, 8:07:23 AM11/4/11
to openwra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gareth,

yes there's two things at play here. First is that there's no HTTP caching enabled on nuget feeds, second we have to scan the whole feed, but we currently do it every time you issue a nuget-related command.

The fixes around HTTP caching is more a problem with them using odata behind the scenes, which makes planning for caching difficult because of how resources are modelled. Not something we can fix on our end.

The more reliable solution is the repository cache, which will make most queries on nuget instantanuous and may land in 2.0.3 or 2.0.4, not sure yet. It's quite close to be ready though.

Temporarily you can retrieve the packages you want and put them on an openwrap feed that you can reuse.

Just one final question - is this the place to come for questions or
is there a more preffered channel?

Gareth

On Nov 4, 12:07 pm, Sebastien Lambla <s...@serialseb.com> wrote:
> Hi Gareth,
>
> yes there's two things at play here. First is that there's no HTTP caching enabled on nuget feeds, second we have to scan the whole feed, but we currently do it every time you issue a nuget-related command.
>
> The fixes around HTTP caching is more a problem with them using odata behind the scenes, which makes planning for caching difficult because of how resources are modelled. Not something we can fix on our end.
>
> The more reliable solution is the repository cache, which will make most queries on nuget instantanuous and may land in 2.0.3 or 2.0.4, not sure yet. It's quite close to be ready though.
>
> Temporarily you can retrieve the packages you want and put them on an openwrap feed that you can reuse.

> So first off i should say that im a noob to openwrap - we've been
> using nuget for our package management but want to look at switching
> to openwrap instead.
>
> I followed the instructions for adding a nuget feed found herehttps://github.com/openrasta/openwrap/wiki/Nugetand all seemed to
> work fine, i did not test it with the o list-wrap -remote nu command
> though.  However when i try to add a wrap such as
>
> o add-wrap mongocsharpdriver
>
> it takes an age (minutes) to add it - i fired up fiddler and what
> seems to be happening is that every time i attempt to add a wrap it
> fires off 130 requests to nuget, similar to below
>
> http://packages.nuget.org/v1/FeedService.svc/Packages?$skiptoken='Fub...

Sebastien Lambla

Nov 4, 2011, 8:46:35 AM11/4/11
to openwra...@googlegroups.com
If it's a user question it's probably better on stackoverflow, with the mailing list being for bugs and development of OW :)