Comment on Journal Club: Closing the Loop from Brain Cells to Behavior

Timothy Busbice

Dec 15, 2015, 8:56:35 PM12/15/15
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
I can add volumes to the research going on here, but one thing that stuck out is at around 1:49, Stephen's comments were right on. From my own connectome modeling, I found this to be true:

The connectome is always on. I did a test and after initial stimulation, the connectome continued to run for 24 hours and if I hadn’t stopped it, probably would have gone on forever.

The connectome is highly recurrent and further analysis shows that the connectome is exponentially recurrent.

Each neuron connects to a set of other neurons and as they are stimulated, a subset will connect back to the originating neuron. This connection back to the originating neuron grows exponentially the deeper the stimulation.

Doing some simple analysis that anyone can perform, this chart shows how recursive the connectome circuit is:

Neuron

Type

Layer 1

Layer 2

Layer 3

Layer 4

Layer 5

AVAL

Interneuron

83

573

10109

133806

2106961

AVAR

Interneuron

76

579

9438

126040

2008160

AVBL

Interneuron

34

248

3947

63622

1076829

AVBR

Interneuron

38

264

3911

60843

1022206

AVDL

Interneuron

10

97

1505

25148

429624

AVDR

Interneuron

10

87

1438

24853

433548

AVEL

Interneuron

7

65

1144

20138

356197

AVER

Interneuron

7

56

1047

18432

330160

AVFL

Interneuron

16

85

592

5194

58868

AVFR

Interneuron

14

82

576

5385

64701

AVG

Interneuron

4

13

126

1559

22023

AVHL

Interneuron

15

73

702

9037

137806

AVHR

Interneuron

13

57

437

4300

57851

AVJL

Interneuron

17

137

1886

29663

505108

AVJR

Interneuron

6

48

654

10448

175900

AVKL

Interneuron

21

105

1166

15662

246684

AVKR

Interneuron

13

55

576

7120

101256

BDUL

Interneuron

3

3

62

683

10629

BDUR

Interneuron

4

11

108

1262

19303

DVA

Interneuron

16

96

1653

25453

442670

DVC

Interneuron

13

54

770

11402

189026

In this chart, AVAL connects to a set of neurons and out of that set, there are 83 connections back to AVAL. That set of neurons connects to another set, and out of that, 573 neurons connect back to AVAL, etc, etc until you get to 5 layers deep and you can see that 2 million connections come back to AVAL. As can be predicted, the Interneurons have a much higher recurrency than do motor or sensory neurons.
--
Timothy Busbice
CTO - Connectomix