OpenWorm committees formation

Matteo Cantarelli

Mar 14, 2016, 7:30:10 PM3/14/16
to openworm-discuss
Hi All,

As discussed during our last monthly hangout, we are starting to put together different committees to help carry out different organisational functions within OpenWorm.

The goal is not to replace what contributors and sub-projects are already doing, i.e. contributing great science and code, but rather to coordinate and organise the various meta functions needed to help manage the organisation as a whole.

Here is the draft list of committees:
  • Science Committee
    • Define scientific milestones. Track their progress and provide coordination among the different scientific sub-projects.
  • Engineering Committee
    • Define engineering milestones. Track their progress and provide coordination among the different engineering sub-projects.
  • Fundraising Committee
    • Drive our fundraising efforts, writing grant applications and following up the involved processes.
  • Community Committee
    • Define and monitor processes to grow the number of contributors.  Remove roadblocks to communication and ensure proper guidance is available to newcomers.
  • Operations Committee
    • Provide support for all other committees, ensuring their milestones and targets are met. Manage finances and serve in an administrative capacity for the foundation as a whole.
  • Education Committee
    • Coordinate with the Scientific and Engineering committees to produce teaching resources. Ensure a consistent documentation approach across sub-projects.
  • Public Relations Committee
    • Provide a point of contact for media and press enquiries. Ensure the image and mission of OpenWorm are properly communicated to the outside world.
To put forward your candidature to volunteer for any of the above committees, please email in...@openworm.org. In the email, please provide a short summary of your motivations and highlight any experience that would make you a good fit.

The goal is to have the first kickoff meeting for all committees happen within the next month or so.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Matteo

--