How is PCISPH actually used for muscle contraction?

James Kalenius

May 3, 2014, 10:31:04 PM5/3/14
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Hello, sorry if this is an inappropriate place for outside questions.

I'm an undergraduate computational neuroscience student. I work a bit on muscle contraction simulations for a researcher, but the model doesn't use fluid dynamics at all. It basically models the spatial positions of the various protein complexes/domains within a half-sarcomere; it treats filaments as spring networks with regularly spaced XB/RUs, which can be in a variety of states, with appropriate force generation in different states. If anyone's curious about that model, this paper would probably be a good place to start.

The point is that I work on muscle simulations but don't understand how OpenWorm could use fluid dynamics to do this. I've looked at Sibernetic, but it's difficult to read code without having much idea of what it's doing, and while I am interested in how PCISPH works generally I'm more interested in how it's used. I've also tried a few of your videos, e.g. "Integration of PCISPH and Hodgkin Huxley Dynamics" but I'm not even sure how to understand this video as depicting contraction.

Is there anywhere I could read about this topic? Using either PCISPH or other CFD techniques to model muscle. I asked the @OpenWorm twitter, and they pointed me at the OpenWorm/SPH github and this board.

Thanks, and again sorry if this is inappropriate.