Friction test

s.khayrulin

Oct 16, 2013, 5:35:02 AM10/16/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
About friction force test:

but there intresting thing:

Встроенное изображение 1
As you can see on graph above it's a relation between coefficient of viscosity and distance (it is the way this elastic cube made by the plane in 0.1 s).
So as you can see when coefficient of viscosity is maximum distance maximum so it means that coefficient of friction in this case is minimum but it should be opposite.
If somebody can help with this please help:)

Mike Vella

Oct 16, 2013, 7:22:28 AM10/16/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sergey,

That second image seems to be some Russian text? It's not loading on my browser anyway.

Mike

--
Visit us online at:
http://openworm.org

s.khayrulin

Oct 16, 2013, 10:53:39 PM10/16/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike!
Sorry it's very weird. So anyway I've attached to this post picture let me know if there are will be a problem

Thanks,
Sergey

Mike Vella

Oct 17, 2013, 4:38:47 AM10/17/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sergey,

Two questions:

1. I'm still confused by one thing - you mention coefficient of viscosity, do you mean coefficient of friction?
2. Can you send the source code for where this coefficient is calculated and used?

Mike

s.khayrulin

Oct 17, 2013, 4:56:22 AM10/17/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

1) No I mean coefficient of viscosity:). When we start experiment there are no coefficient of friction friction appears because of force of viscosity so if coefficient of viscosity is small it means that liquid is more fluidity and coefficient of friction between of particles should be small (as I think maybe I wrong:))

Thanks for help!
Sergey

s.khayrulin

Oct 17, 2013, 6:41:00 AM10/17/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
I've made two video

I don't know in which units of measurement
As I know for water  viscosity coefficien = 8.9e-7 m^2/s

s.khayrulin

Oct 18, 2013, 6:54:57 AM10/18/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike I think I've resolved this problem, I fit viscosity coefficient now it seems that it work correctly,

but it steel a question about value of viscosity why simulation work correctly for value from 1 to 9 and in which unit of measurement it is.

Mike Vella

Oct 21, 2013, 9:31:27 AM10/21/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
I think I am beginning to understand.

Tell me - how is "distance" calculated? Is it the average distance of every particle from the centre of the plane?

How did you fix the problem?

Regarding the units, the only way to work this out is for the simulation is by dimensional analysis.

InterIntelligence Research

Oct 21, 2013, 5:05:10 PM10/21/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if I am adding noise here or not so forgive and ignore me if I am. I am rereading a lot of papers as I experiment with the connectome and there is a good section in the paper "Jordan H Boyle, Stefano Berri and Netta Cohen (2012), Gait modulation in C Elegans: an integrated neuromechanical model", section 2.1 Properties of the Environment that talks in detail about resistance and drag coefficients for water and agar. Might be useful?

I'm using this paper (and have used others) to replicate their experiments using the connectome and ablations to see if the EV3 robot will show the same behaviors as reported in the papers. So far true! I am using this paper and a small subset of the connectome to see if I get the same results as they did. Hopefully I will test tonight.

Tim

s.khayrulin

Oct 22, 2013, 12:03:33 AM10/22/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike!

I think I am beginning to understand.

Tell me - how is "distance" calculated? Is it the average distance of every particle from the centre of the plane?

 I fixed some particle in body and and stored start position after some num of iteration (about 100) I get end position for this particle and calculate a displacement - distance (you can see it in code I've just commited last changes).

How did you fix the problem?

I've traced influence of viscosity on physics of body (you can see it on video from youtube which I attached in message above) I found interval in which  viscosity affect on liquid appreciably for our simmulation it is from 1 to 9, before this I experemented with value near of real value of viscosity of water (8.9e-7 m^2/s) and the results wasn't correct. So the problem was in correct value of viscosity (For more information we can make a meeting and discuss it more precisely :)).

Regarding the units, the only way to work this out is for the simulation is by dimensional analysis.

Thanks maybe it will help :)

s.khayrulin

Oct 22, 2013, 12:04:37 AM10/22/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tim!

Any information will be useful :)!

Mike Vella

Oct 23, 2013, 12:45:03 PM10/23/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Sergey - send me a link to the file you mentioned where you want clarifications of the physics test. Also let me know what isn't clear.

Mike

Sergey Khayrulin

Oct 23, 2013, 12:58:55 PM10/23/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Mike, I'm working on my old computer it's very slow :)

2013/10/23 Mike Vella <vell...@gmail.com>

Best regards,
 Khayrulin Sergey