Is the OpenWorm conscious?

aldenc...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2016, 12:23:42 PM8/8/16
to OpenWorm-discuss
I read about the theory of consciousness from Wikipedia where electromagnetic field is generating consciousness https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_theories_of_consciousness

As well as how the brain's voltage output gives rise to consciousness, but these are only speculations.

So I want to know if the worm being simulated in the virtual space has consciousness and is capable of making decisions on its own.

Vardaan Bhat

Aug 11, 2016, 2:43:36 PM8/11/16
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
No, it is still controlled by an "input-output" mechanism like any other computer program. It is not a sentient being, but simply a program.

--
Visit us online at:
http://openworm.org

Vardaan Bhat
"There is no such thing as a little freedom. Either you are all free, or you are not free.”
– Walter Cronkite

"I am a radical in thought and a conservative in method."
- Rutherford B. Hayes

"When life gets you down, sell that life on Ebay and just buy a new one." -Matthew Santoro

"Those who can convince you of absurdities can make you commit atrocities."- Voltaire

aldenc...@gmail.com

May 17, 2017, 1:40:04 PM5/17/17
to OpenWorm-discuss
Sorry about the late reply lol. Can you not make the worm a sentient being or is there ethical concern regarding this matter? I think most of us here want to see a sentient worm, or is that not possible?

Vardaan Bhat於 2016年8月12日星期五 UTC+8上午2時43分36秒寫道: