Removal of excess log

Comslive BCU

Oct 15, 2010, 6:34:02 AM10/15/10
to Open Wonderland Forum, Paul....@bcu.ac.uk
hello all - Janine again with another problem!

one of our worlds recently started black screening, and our server
team have told us that the '/export/home/' directory is full.

This has happened before and when the team deleted the many logs in
the '/export/home/wluser/.wonderland-server/0.5-preview4/run/
darkstar_server/run/core/data/sgs/dsdb' we had some problems with
darkstar and ended up restoring to a snapshot.
Currently there are 2291 files in that directory.

Can anyone advise us on how to go about emptying the logs or clearing
the directory of unnecessary files safely so that darkstar remain in
tact?
(to be clear - the 'log files' I am referring to are on the actual
server with file names - log.nnnnnnnnnn (n denotes a number).

I had been advised to delete, rename or move nohup.out whilst
Wonderland.jar is not running - BUT I dont know HOW to do that!

any help as always appreciated

Janine
Message has been deleted

Comslive BCU

Oct 15, 2010, 7:22:05 AM10/15/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
OK - so our filesystem is full and shows:

Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on
rpool/export/home 32G 32G 7.0M 100% /export/home

and alot of this is in the directory as specified in my previous
post.
Hope this helps explain the issue,

thanks
Janine

Comslive BCU

Oct 15, 2010, 10:36:53 AM10/15/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
Here is a screen gab of the filesystem

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8116941@N05/5083984924/

Ok so the file '/export/home/wluser/.wonderland-server/0.5-preview4/
run/
darkstar_server/run/core/data/sgs/dsdb' currently is showing a total
size of (drumroll) .... 24,085,553,152 bytes - about 22GB!!

Jonathan Kaplan

Oct 15, 2010, 11:11:25 AM10/15/10
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
These files are used by the underlying database for the Darkstar server. The safest way to remove them is to restore the world from a snapshot -- this will delete all the log files and start the server fresh.  How long has it been since you restored the world from a snapshot? If you want a world to persist, we recommend taking snapshots periodically (say every day or two) and restoring from those snapshots to clean out the server logs.

See here for details on how to automatically take a snapshot from the command line:

You can use the same "wget" command with action=restore to restore a snapshot.

Comslive BCU

Oct 18, 2010, 6:33:17 AM10/18/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
thanks for this Jonathan,

however .... i need some help on completing this! do I actually type
the '--save-cookies' and '--keep-session-cookies' ??

I did type the whole thing just in case but it says 'bash: wget:
command not found'
Can you give me some more instructions please!

Josmas Flores

Oct 18, 2010, 6:47:06 AM10/18/10
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Janine,

if your system cannot find 'wget', that is because it is not installed. Please note that this is a *nix problem and nothing to do with wonderland.
If you are using something like ubuntu it's just a matter of installing it from the packaging system or command line:
$> sudo aptitude install wget

I'm assuming you are not root but you have 'sudo' permissions. If not, you will have to ask an admin to install wget for you.

cheers,
José

Comslive BCU

Oct 18, 2010, 6:59:17 AM10/18/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
thanks José - I am very much a newbie to this!
What is ubuntu? I use the PuTTY teminal??
Where do I get wget from to install it - or tell server admin to do
so?

thanks

Josmas Flores

Oct 18, 2010, 7:27:30 AM10/18/10
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
HI Janine,

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution. If you use putty, you are probably accessing a Linux machine from your windows desktop. You will need to install the program 'wget' in your server if you want to use it.
Depending on the type of Linux you are using, the installation might be a bit different. If you can contact an admin, just ask to have wget installed; that should be enough.

cheers,
José

Comslive BCU

Oct 18, 2010, 8:00:32 AM10/18/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
ok thanks José,

I hope they will install it quickly for me!

Just to confirm, once wget is installed, do i actaully input
wget --save-cookies cookies.txt --keep-session-cookies --post-data

or do i input it all at once

wget --save-cookies cookies.txt --keep-session-cookies --post-data
security-session-auth/security-session-auth/login?actio n=login"

thanks,
Janine

Josmas Flores

Oct 18, 2010, 8:04:27 AM10/18/10
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
That'll be all at once Janine :)

hope it works!
José

Josmas Flores

Oct 18, 2010, 8:06:41 AM10/18/10
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
but make sure you change things as 'username' and 'servername' etc. for the right ones. All should go in just the one line (the 3 lines you see there were just created/cut by formatting).

cheers,
José

Comslive BCU

Oct 18, 2010, 8:18:14 AM10/18/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
thanks José,

I hope it works too!

Comslive BCU

Oct 18, 2010, 11:10:53 AM10/18/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
Sorry ppl - replied to author accidently!

here is the response--

Janine wrote:

Apparently wget is already on the server!

I did this:

-bash-3.00$ /usr/sfw/bin/wget --save-cookies.txt --keep-session-
cookies --post-data "username=<username>&passord=<password>" "http://
<servername>:8080/security-session-auth/security-session-auth/login?
action=login"

and got this:

/usr/sfw/bin/wget: illegal option -- save-cookies.txt
Usage: wget [OPTION]... [URL]...

Try `wget --help' for more options.

This may be because the home directory is full so can't save anything
to it? I have been advised to save to /rpool/backup before running
wget - but have no idea how to do that!!

any help please??

Josmas wrote:

Hi Janine,

you've missed a bit in the command:
[...]wget --save-cookies cookies.txt

--save-cookies is the option, and cookies.txt the parameter.

cheers,
José

Janine wrote:

thanks Jose!

ok - I have NEVER done this before!
I typed in exactly that and it still says wget: not found:

-bash-3.00$ [...]wget --save-cookies cookies.txt
-bash: [...]wget: command not found
-bash-3.00$ wget
-bash: wget: command not found
-bash-3.00$ wget --save-cookies
-bash: wget: command not found

???

Josmas Flores

Oct 18, 2010, 12:03:48 PM10/18/10
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
you do need all the path to your wget, as you were doing before:
/usr/sfw/bin/wget and then all the rest!

cheers,
José

Josmas Flores

Oct 18, 2010, 12:05:01 PM10/18/10
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
You need the whole command... I only replicate parts of it cause i don't want to type it all up, but you need it all!

Comslive BCU

Oct 19, 2010, 9:33:40 AM10/19/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
OOOOO!!! i see what i did wrong!
ok so I typed it in correctly and now i get this:

-bash-3.00$ /usr/sfw/bin/wget --save-cookies cookies.txt --keep-
session-cookies --post-data "username=<username>&passwords=<password>"
"http://<servername>:8080/security-session-auth/security-session-auth/
login?action=login"
--13:12:07-- http://<servername>:8080/security-session-auth/security-session-auth/login?action=login
=> `login?action=login'
Resolving <servername>... <IP ADDRESS>
Connecting to <servername>|<IP ADDRESS>|:8080... failed: Connection
refused.

Would it be refusing connection because the directory is full?
I have been told by the IT team that the home directory is full and so
I cant save the snapshot there, and to change directory to /rpool/
backup before running wget ....
but i dont know how to do that!

Comslive BCU

Oct 19, 2010, 12:29:34 PM10/19/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
thanks for all your help we have managed to solve this issue now

thanks

Janine

Ric Moore

Oct 24, 2010, 3:08:51 PM10/24/10
On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 08:10 -0700, Comslive BCU wrote:

> ok - I have NEVER done this before!
> I typed in exactly that and it still says wget: not found:
>
> -bash-3.00$ [...]wget --save-cookies cookies.txt
> -bash: [...]wget: command not found
> -bash-3.00$ wget
> -bash: wget: command not found
> -bash-3.00$ wget --save-cookies
> -bash: wget: command not found

on a linux/unix box, to confirm a file name existence, type 'locate
wget'. If it's not displayed in /usr/bin/ it ain't there at all for
you. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256

Michael Cohen

Sep 13, 2016, 2:18:34 AM9/13/16
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hi, everyone.

We are trying to set up a basically always-up W'land server,
but it seems like the logging process makes an archive that grows unboundedly (in the directory of the administrator who starts the servers).
 I am surprised that the "industrial strength" Wonderland requires periodic restarting.
To me this seems like a design flaw, since the server should allow persistent sessions, running indefinitely.

I get that a log of important status messages could accumulate,
in case sysadmins need to monitor alerts or performance,
but would hope that such dilation would be slow,
requiring refresh less often than monthly or weekly.

I know that it wouldn't be terrible for our respective administrators to occasionally restart or even reboot the system.
We can write scripts to clear the cache and restart, but that seems inelegant.
Can't the console logs be made cyclic, so they show only the latest message and don't fill up arbitrarily large disk space?

Thanks for any advice.