Importing kmz files in OpenWonderland

Prajish Prasad

Jul 6, 2016, 5:47:55 AM7/6/16
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hi, we are developing a module in Open Wonderland. We are facing some problems while implementing the module. Specifically

1. What are the different types of interactions possible in open wonderland?
The tutorial shows a simple mouse-click interaction. Are other mouse interactions like drag and drop, keyboard interactions possible?

2. What is the method for rendering 3D objects in Open wonderland environment? Is there any specific format?
The tutorial shows creation of a basic cube with a layer of a jpeg image. We are trying to use 3D models(.kmz files). However we are not able to programmatically render it into the virtual environment.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nicole Yankelovich

Jul 6, 2016, 11:23:41 PM7/6/16
to openwon...@googlegroups.com

Prajish,

If you haven't read it already, this tutorial should answer at least some of your questions:

http://wiki.openwonderland.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Learning%20the%20Basics%20of%20Open%20Wonderland

In particular, look at the Navigation section and the sections on inserting objects. There are also many videos that show the different interaction techniques:

http://wiki.openwonderland.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Wonderland%20Videos

And some more recent work:

http://www.wonderbuilders.com/index.php?s=portfolio

2. What is the method for rendering 3D objects in Open wonderland environment? Is there any specific format?

Open Wonderland is based on Collada. The file type can either be .kmz or .dae.

We are trying to use 3D models(.kmz files).
Have you tried dragging and dropping the .kmz files into the world?  I've attached a model of a chair that I know works. Save it to your disk and then try dragging it in the world and see if that works for you. Then try one of your models.

Let us know how you make out.

Nicole.

RusticChair.kmz

Prajish Prasad

Jul 7, 2016, 12:37:51 AM7/7/16
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nicole for the pointers. Yes, we are able to drag and drop .kmz files and it is being rendered in OpenWonderland. However, our use case is as follows - "A user enters the world, and clicks on a 3D object. When the object is clicked, the object should disappear, or should be replaced by another object."

  Hence we want to program the behavior of the object based on the interactions of the user. Hope this clarifies our doubt. Thanks in advance for your help.

Nicole Yankelovich

Jul 7, 2016, 11:44:37 PM7/7/16
to openwon...@googlegroups.com

Prajish,

What you want to do is definitely possible, but I'll have to defer to one of the engineers to explain to you how to do this.

Nicole.