Designing for 7K devices

Matthew Midgett

Jul 29, 2021, 6:07:47 PM7/29/21
to OpenWISP
Are there any documents that would be helpful in designing topology and server sizing for 7K + devices? I have 3 controllers from another project that we are planning on flashing openwrt to devices and I'm wondering at scale what do I need to design for.

I asked this question earlier but I didn't see it posted so it may not have submitted from my phone. If so please disregard this question.

Matthew Midgett

Jul 30, 2021, 11:55:42 AM7/30/21
to OpenWISP
I'm not needing help with the networking / VPN as that is already covered by our firewalls.

What I need some guidance is on the horizontal scaling of the web app / database. Will your system support a load balancer in the web frontend? What about a clustered database? Has this been done before? Is there some documentation on it?

Federico Capoano

Jul 31, 2021, 12:32:47 PM7/31/21
to open...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it's possible to implement horizontal scaling, there must be simply multiple instances of the application server running and a load balancer in front.

Since OpenWISP is based on very popular technologies like Django, Celery, PostgreSQL/MySQL, Redis, you can find plenty of information about horizontal scaling with these technologies.

For more information on this topic I suggest you look at how to scale horizontally with Django and uwsgi or another application server of your choice.
For the workers, it's already possible to spawn multiple workers and multiple queues, as well as redistribute the tasks to different queues, for more information on this topic, consult the documentation of celery, which is the distributed task queue which is used in OpenWISP.

Regarding clusters of databases, the same, look for resources already written by the respective communities.

For configuration samples, you can look at Docker OpenWISP (which should support at least HTTP horizontal scaling) and ansible-openwisp2 (in which to implement horizontal scaling it's necessary to deploy on multiple VMs).

There's no documentation on this topic yet.
I hope this helps!

Best regards
Federico Capoano
OpenWISP OÜ