Pre-Implementation Query re: Scaling & Limiting Monitoring Metrics

Adam Yaqub

Aug 4, 2022, 3:11:15 AM8/4/22
to OpenWISP
We have a project that has about 5000 OpenWrt Routers that are used as hotspots in 1 town, mainly used by displaced refugees living in camps. We need to know whether particular routers are being used or not & if therefore whether they can be decomissioned - so Uptime & traffic needs to be monitored.

I wanted to know whether Openwisp can monitor this amount of devices practically & what kind of specifications the server requires.

but tbh - I'm not experienced enough to know about specific horizontal scaling requirements. Can anyone help with some rough idea of what would be needed.

I would also like to know how to limit the metrics monitored to only uptime & specific interface traffic - I'm presuming that this would help in scaling?

Federico Capoano

Aug 5, 2022, 2:00:59 AM8/5/22
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

Regarding horizontal scaling, I don't have much to add in respect to what I wrote in https://groups.google.com/g/openwisp/c/RabNNnF7Aqk/m/yd7du7zFAAAJ:
You need to have the DBs on one VM (or cloud system) and the application deployed on multiple VMs. Vertical scaling of each VM is an easy solution to reach support for several thousands of devices easily.
This work is highly dependent on the use case and requirements. There's no "one fit all" solution yet.
Containerized applications can be used too, the challenge there is to configure the management tunnels in a way that the containerized cluster can talk to the management tunnels, VMs are definitely easier to handle in this regard.

The following docs should clarify and reply to the rest of your questions, I highly recommend to read everything:

- List of available monitoring features in current stable release: https://github.com/openwisp/openwisp-monitoring/tree/1.0#available-features
- Limiting monitored interfaces, see "monitored_interfaces" here: https://github.com/openwisp/openwrt-openwisp-monitoring/#configuration-options

If you want to put less stress on the system I also advise to bring down the interval of openwisp-config to 5 or 10 minutes instead of 2 minutes, ensure you have SSH push and management tunnel configured correctly to ensure speedy updates.

Best regards
Federico Capoano
OpenWISP OÜ
Harjumaa, Tallinn, Sepapaja tn 6, 15551