Regarding updates on [GSoC 2021] Modern UI/UX

Nitesh Sinha

May 21, 2021, 1:26:49 PM5/21/21
to openwi...@googlegroups.com

Federico Capoano

May 22, 2021, 3:56:33 PM5/22/21
to OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
Hey Nitesh,

please do not use your forks for sending pull requests. You are a member of the OpenWISP org on github, so you should have write access to create branches, which is what I have been asking every stable contributor to do, because working on branches allows different people to push changes/fixes more easily than individual forks (in which every student would have to add permissions manually).
It's a bit of a shame that you created both PRs this way and now there's quite some discussion on them so I'm not sure is a good idea to close them and open new ones, so I suggest to get these 2 merged as soon as the minimum needed goals are reached, then open other issues and new PRs for remaining refinements if needed.

Regarding django-baton, please can you collect some notes and links to code examples and let us know anything interesting you can find?

Here's my reviews:

Federico

Nitesh Sinha

May 28, 2021, 1:01:48 PM5/28/21
to Federico Capoano, OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
Hi Federico,

Thanks for your review and suggestions. I will take care of it next time.

Currently working on:
    PRs Open for Review:

    Blockers:

    Tasks will be working on next week:
    Ideas collected from django-baton
    • Modification in the login form.
    • Good background for the login page.
    • We can modify the design of forms.
    • We can also restyle breadcrumbs.
    • Apply all filters at once.
    Thanking you
    Nitesh Sinha

    Nitesh Sinha_026

    Jun 4, 2021, 11:03:21 AM6/4/21
    to Federico Capoano, OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
    Hi Federico,

    Following are the updates of the work that I have done till 4 June 2021

    Currently working on:

      PRs Open for Review:

          Blockers:

          Tasks will be working on next week:
          • [enhancement] Restyle filters #196
            Few works are left. I will complete it this week.
          • I will finalize my other opened PRs.
          • I will register menu groups from different modules to make sure it works properly.

          Thanking you
          Nitesh Sinha

          Federico Capoano

          Jun 6, 2021, 7:36:32 PM6/6/21
          to Nitesh Sinha_026, OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
          Hi Nitesh,

          I took a look at the new designs and it looks like we are on the right track.

          Can you ensure the notification bell icon is always visible on narrow screens? From the design it's not clear. I fear you may be thinking to show it only when the menu is accessed, which is not great, it should be always accessible.

          I reviewed and tested your code, I think during next week we have to achieve the following:

          - get the QA check PR merged: https://github.com/openwisp/openwisp-utils/pull/202 - when the last issues raised in the review are solved we should be able to merge
          - get the register function PR merged: https://github.com/openwisp/openwisp-users/pull/254 - when the last issues raised in the review are solved we should be able to merge
          - resume https://github.com/openwisp/openwisp-utils/pull/185, ensure the build pass, bring it to a state which we can merge

          Once we have the above you can start registering the menu groups for the other modules and then with the notification widget.

          So far so good, it seems like a lot was done, but not much merged yet, so let's start to fill the "Done" column of your board by merging some PRs and then let's move on quickly to the next points.

          Best regards
          Federico

          Nitesh Sinha_026

          Jun 11, 2021, 12:57:07 PM6/11/21
          to Federico Capoano, OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
          Hi Federico,
          Hope you are doing well. Scene long we have merged only 2 Prs so in the coming week I will make sure that we merge more Prs with less effort in reviewing. Regarding the notification bell, I would say not to worry, it will be always visible on the narrow screen.

          Currently working on:

            Tasks will be working on next week:
            • I will be completing 185, 196, 182.

            Thanking you
            Nitesh Sinha

            Federico Capoano

            Jun 11, 2021, 1:25:35 PM6/11/21
            to Nitesh Sinha_026, OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
            HI Nitesh,

            I replied to your queries.

            Looking forward to seeing the designs you're working on, don't be afraid to share here when ready.

            Federico

            Nitesh Sinha_026

            Jun 18, 2021, 9:57:14 AM6/18/21
            to Federico Capoano, OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
            Hi Federico,
            Hope you are doing well.  Following is the update of work that I have done till 18 June 2021.

            Currently working on:
              • Till now I have registered menu groups in Radius, Controller, and Users.

              PRs Open for Review:
              Tasks will be working on next week:

              My all PR's are almost ready. This week I will move them to the ready section so that you can review them too.
              After that, I will complete #196.

              Thanking you
              Nitesh Sinha

              Nitesh Sinha_026

              Jun 25, 2021, 1:17:51 PM6/25/21
              to Federico Capoano, OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
              Hi Everyone,
              Hope you all are doing well. Following is the update of work that I have done till 25 June 2021.

              Currently working on:

              Since we have decided to some changes in the design so I am working on it.
              As per the plan discussed in the chat I hope by next week we will be able to move ahead to complete the testing and registration part.

              Thanking you
              Nitesh Sinha

              Nitesh Sinha_026

              Jul 2, 2021, 10:51:00 AM7/2/21
              to Federico Capoano, OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
              Hi Everyone,

              Last week a lot of modifications were made to the menu design that you can find here and now I am implementing it.
              It is almost ready and PR will be updated soon.
              This week I will focus to complete all my opened PRs so we can start testing them.

              Nitesh Sinha_026

              Jul 9, 2021, 2:37:30 PM7/9/21
              to Federico Capoano, OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
              Hi Everyone,

              Please find my work progress report till 10 July 2021

              Currently working on:

              PR ready for review:

                Nitesh Sinha_026

                Jul 16, 2021, 2:02:38 PM7/16/21
                to Federico Capoano, OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
                Hi Everyone,

                Please find my work progress report till 16 July 2021

                Currently working on:
                • Working on the changes requested during this week.
                • Few PR's are left. They will also get ready soon.

                PR ready for review:

                Nitesh Sinha_026

                Jul 23, 2021, 1:49:57 PM7/23/21
                to Federico Capoano, OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
                Hi Everyone,

                Please find my work progress report till 23 July 2021

                List of tasks completed this week:
                • Created icons for different modules.
                • Fixed issued related to the main menu.
                • Started writing selenium tests for the main menu.

                PR ready for review:

                Work for next week
                  • I will be testing the main menu.
                  • I will update other PRs which are in progress.

                  Nitesh Sinha_026

                  Jul 30, 2021, 12:32:46 PM7/30/21
                  to Federico Capoano, OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
                  Hi Everyone,

                  Please find my work progress report till 30 July 2021

                  List of tasks completed this week:
                  • Completed Main menu design PR.
                  • Completed registration of menu group in all modules.
                  • Selenium testing is also ready. Will open a PR soon.
                  PR ready for review:

                  Work for next week

                  Nitesh Sinha_026

                  Aug 6, 2021, 12:49:26 PM8/6/21
                  to Federico Capoano, OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
                  Hi Everyone,

                  Please find my work progress report till 6 Aug 2021

                  List of tasks completed this week:
                  • Done some improvements in menu design.
                  • Updated filter design.
                  • Added show active menu item/group functionality.
                  • Fixed some minor issues
                  PR ready for review:

                  Work for next week
                  • Selenium test for filters.
                  • I will update the register menu group function as per discussion.
                  • I will update other pending PRs too.

                  Nitesh Sinha_026

                  Aug 13, 2021, 3:04:50 PM8/13/21
                  to Federico Capoano, OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
                  Hi Everyone,

                  Please find my work progress report till 13 Aug 2021

                  List of tasks completed this week:
                  • Fixed issue in main menu.
                  • Completed selenium testing of main menu and filters.
                  • Almost completed work related to accessibility and performance improvement.
                  PR ready for review:

                  Work for next week
                  • I will give more time in testing the functionality.
                  • I will complete Accessibility work
                  • I will update PR according to the request change.
                  Thanks & Regards
                  Nitesh Sinha

                  Nitesh Sinha

                  Aug 23, 2021, 10:36:52 AM8/23/21
                  to Federico Capoano, OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
                  Hi everyone,
                  I have published my GSoC 2021 project report. Please find it here UX/UI Improvements report.

                  with regards
                  Nitesh Sinha