On the importance of deploying our work in the real world

Federico Capoano

Jul 22, 2021, 1:33:33 PM7/22/21
to OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
In this second and final phase of GSoC 21, I want to keep insisting and stressing with all of us involved on the importance of deploying the work we've been doing and using it in the real world.

Be all proud of the work you've been doing! Is coming along good.
Is it done yet? No.
Will it be done when all issues are resolved? Hell no.
These are only our assumptions.
We are very fallible beings and we do a lot of mistakes.

The real world is ruthless, it doesn't care. Issues will pop up from nowhere when we start using this work.

I think no programmer would want to work months on something which is then discarded and not used at all. But this is the fate which awaits any program finished during GSoC which is not validated in the real world before the program ends.

You should know that the majority of GSoC work is never used, and I just explained you why.

So at this point it is really important that we resolve any roadblock that prevents us from using the work you're doing in real systems.

If your work is replacing something existing, ensure the new work does not cause any kind of issue that prevents users from using functionality which they are already using.

If your work is implementing something new, ensure that it doesn't introduce any serious bug to existing funcionalities of the module/modules you're touching and ensure it delivers the basic promises.

We'll be helping you guys. I ask students to stick the above points in mind. Proceeding to complete the basics needed to get the new features working must be the priority now and we have to ensure it's completed in a timely manner, that's why I started pinging you all more often recently.
Until the end of the first phase, we had time, we could wait. Now time is running out, so please plan accordingly and ensure to keep dedicating time to your GSoC project if you want to be succesful also in this 2nd phase.

I want to thank all the mentors who have been  helping out, with a special mention to Ajay and Gagan who have been very active.
I encourage also the other mentors to be more active in this phase and give as much feedback to students as you can.

Cheers!
Federico