Implementing an SNMP check in openwisp-monitoring

Purhan Kaushik

Apr 5, 2021, 12:59:09 PM4/5/21
to OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
Regarding the netengine project idea, It's not clear to me how the SNMP check will be implemented in openwisp-monitoring. I have a question:

How is the connection going to be handled? I can see that we use SSH (from openwisp-controller.connection) in openwisp-monitoring to connect to devices. If we want to create an SNMP connection, wouldn't we want to create a backend for SNMP connections as well?

I will use this thread if I happen to have any further questions.

Federico Capoano

Apr 5, 2021, 1:19:04 PM4/5/21
to Purhan Kaushik, OpenWISP Google Summer of Code
Yes we'll have to create an SNMP connector class, and SNMP credentials will have to be created in the system, SNMP can work with a simple authentication scheme which allows to specify a single string called "community" or more complex authentication schemes which we can implement later on.

Federico