ruote alternatives since it is going to be ceased

Kiran Patil

Nov 22, 2013, 3:16:34 AM11/22/13
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The recent commit to Github shows that "Active development on ruote ceased".

Do you recommend https://github.com/bokmann/stonepath ?

Please let us know what are the best alternatives for ruote.

Thanks.

John Mettraux

Nov 22, 2013, 3:54:49 AM11/22/13

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 12:16:34AM -0800, Kiran Patil wrote:

> The recent commit to Github shows that "Active development on ruote ceased".
>
> Do you recommend https://github.com/bokmann/stonepath ?

Hello,

no, I cannot recommend it. It hasn't been updated in 3 years and its website
is down.

> Please let us know what are the best alternatives for ruote.

You could use JRuby and jBPM http://www.jboss.org/jbpm or Activiti
http://www.activiti.org/

I am not able to tell you what is the "best alternative".

Best regards,

--
John Mettraux - http://lambda.io/jmettraux

John Mettraux

Nov 22, 2013, 7:38:30 PM11/22/13

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 05:54:49PM +0900, John Mettraux wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 12:16:34AM -0800, Kiran Patil wrote:
> >
> > The recent commit to Github shows that "Active development on ruote ceased".
> >
> > Do you recommend https://github.com/bokmann/stonepath ?
>
> (...)
>
> > Please let us know what are the best alternatives for ruote.
>
> You could use JRuby and jBPM http://www.jboss.org/jbpm or Activiti
> http://www.activiti.org/
>
> I am not able to tell you what is the "best alternative".

Another alternative would be to look at Amazon Simple Workflow. There are two
or three libraries for Ruby around it.

David Bock

Nov 23, 2013, 5:25:14 AM11/23/13
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com, openwfe...@googlegroups.com
StonePath hasn't been updated because it was just a simple DSL on top of a state machine and assignment concepts; those ideas are in active use in dozens of back office applications I've developed over the years, but maintaining a thin layer on top of ActiveRecord wasn't worth the effort after ActiveRecord was extensively refactored. (Yes, it was dependent on ActiveRecord, which wasn't suitable for some, but was perfect for the original projects I extracted it from).

StonePath as a gem is legacy, but as a set of modeling concepts it's very much alive. John has always denigrated state-based workflow concepts, but they are well-used... It is just a much different set of concepts.

Sent from my iPad. Please excuse any brvity, punctuation; or spalling mistakes.
> --

Damon Torgerson

Nov 23, 2013, 8:19:51 AM11/23/13
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com
In my experience with John, he's never denigrated any approach. In fact, he encouraged me to use a state-machine approach rather than using a workflow engine for my use case. While obviously opinionated - he is leading a workflow engine project - he's been pretty objective/fair when it comes to pros and cons of various approaches.

Damon

Damon Torgerson

David Bock

Nov 23, 2013, 2:01:06 PM11/23/13
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com, openwfe...@googlegroups.com
Don't take offense at my word, none was intended. He wrote a blog entry several years ago illustrating why he thought state machines were not workflow, clearly denigrating the approach.

Every successful open source project has an opinionated leader behind it. Strong opinions are an asset.

John Mettraux

Nov 23, 2013, 5:38:01 PM11/23/13

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 02:01:06PM -0500, David Bock wrote:

> Don't take offense at my word, none was intended. He wrote a blog entry
> several years ago illustrating why he thought state machines were not
> workflow, clearly denigrating the approach.

Hello,

here is what David is referring to, plus some extra:

* http://blog.engineyard.com/2011/ruote-and-flow
* http://jmettraux.wordpress.com/2009/07/03/state-machine-workflow-engine/
* http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2353564/use-cases-of-the-workflow-engine

David, please remember that, in your presentations, you use business process
management tools and workflow engines as the ugly things Stonepath is
supposed to save the world from.

To bring back the thread in the line set by the OP, I'd say, Stonepath is not
an alternative to ruote, because Stonepath is a methodology while ruote is a
workflow engine.

Kind regards,

Kiran Patil

Dec 23, 2013, 5:58:20 AM12/23/13
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com

John Mettraux

Dec 23, 2013, 6:11:31 AM12/23/13

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 02:58:20AM -0800, Kiran Patil wrote:

> How about using https://github.com/geekq/workflow ?

Hello Kiran,

it's a state machine library, not a workflow engine library.

Happy New Year,