Examples of real world ruote definitions

Steve Tuckner

Nov 15, 2013, 4:23:49 PM11/15/13
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I am new to ruote and am struggling a bit to figure out what goes into process steps. I understand from a programming perspective what a participant is (it is the thing that does the work in the workflow). What confuses is me is what the best practices are as far as naming of participants go. My initial reaction is that the process steps should be verbs (actions) and not nouns (people). As an example (for my learning), I want to model a PTA organization (because I have been in one). The first thing that I am trying to model is the election process. My naive start looks like the folowing:

pdef = Route.define 'elect_officers' do
  sequence do
    select_nominating_committee_selector
    nominating_committee
    officer_election
    install_officers
  end

  define 'officer_election' do
    concurrent_iterator on: 'v:members', to_var: 'member' do
      participant '${v:member}', task: 'cast_vote'
    end
  end
end

As you can see, it is a mish-mash of nouns and verbs. I seem to like the participant, task: style, but I am not sure how people are generally doing this.

Any advice this small example?

Thanks,

Steve

John Mettraux

Nov 15, 2013, 5:14:03 PM11/15/13

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 01:23:49PM -0800, Steve Tuckner wrote:

> (...)
>
> As you can see, it is a mish-mash of nouns and verbs. I seem to like the
> participant, task: style, but I am not sure how people are generally doing
> this.

Hello,

your flow looks good to me.

For verbs vs nouns, I ended up using verbs for subprocesses and computer
participants and nouns for human participants (persons, roles, etc...).

It really depends, and "best practices" are for vendor slides.

Best regards,

--
John Mettraux - http://lambda.io/jmettraux