Visualizing snapshots in BubbleCalendar

Mohamed Elsayed

Jul 16, 2017, 8:31:21 AM7/16/17
to openwayback-dev
The technique currently implemented for visualizing snapshots in BubbleCalendar is everyday containing snapshots is surrounded by a bubble. That bubble diameter represents # of captures. It couldn't be aesthetic as bubbles can overlap each other if there are consecutive days containing too many snapshots which is almost always the case, and a user will not be able to distinguish an empty day between 2 big bubbles e.g. 2nd of March & 7th of December as shown in archive.org:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060315000000*/cnn.com

Then I tried to implement an alternative representation which uses bubble background color to represent # of snapshots of each day. It is similar to GitHub contributions visualization as shown in archive.bibalex.org:

http://web.archive.bibalex.org/web/20020701000000*/http://cnn.com

I am writing this post to know your feedback. Which representation looks good? Let me also know your thoughts for better implementation, if any.

Thanks!