World marathon swimming records and open water swimming records

Munatones

Jul 28, 2010, 10:57:46 AM7/28/10
to Open Water Race Directors
I would like to compile a list of all the world marathon swimming
records (e.g., English Channel) and the open water swimming records
(e.g., Waikiki Roughwater Swim) - everywhere in the world.

If you know of any of these records, please email to
head...@10Kswim.com.

Here is the beginning of this world marathon swimming record list:
http://www.dailynewsofopenwaterswimming.com/2010/07/man-vs-woman-vs-wild-world-marathon.html.

Thank you very much.

Steven Munatones

G. John mullen

Jul 28, 2010, 11:33:10 PM7/28/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Steven,
Here are some of the records I've collected from listings online, we should check with the race directories pertaining to their validity:

RCP Tiburon:
Male-2007 Dyatchine RUS 18:20.00
Female-2007 Sutton USA 19:04.70

Midmar Mile:
Male-2004 Stanczyk 17:13.00
Female-2004 Payne 17:40.00

Waikiki Rough Water:
Male-1971 Ezer 41:09.00
Female-1995 Hazen 43:33.00

Once again, not validated, but a start.
GJohn
--
Thank you very much for your interest in open water swimming.

G. John Mullen, SPT, CSCS
Clinical Exercise Research Center Research Assistant
Creator: http://www.swimmingscience.net/
Columnist: http://myhousecallmd.com/

Steven Munatones

Jul 28, 2010, 11:35:20 PM7/28/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com

Perfect.  This is a great start.

Ignacio Martinez Sela

Jul 29, 2010, 4:08:03 AM7/29/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Dear Steven: I you are an absolute human encyclopedia about open water swimming!!!!!!

I understand the aim to collect the record of competitions. It would serve to encourage swimmers to beat it each edition, or may increase the spectators interest in a speed race or tight end.

Last year in Navia, in our first TV broadcasting, TV operators (first time in a open water swim) ask us about Descenso Ria Navia race record to include in the videos. Me and a mate of organization sure we make fool face:

-There´s no records! - we answer.
-What? What is the shorter time in history made by a winner? -reply them.
-In open water swimming, and specially in Navia, time needed to win is so variable every year because river conditions, specially by the  tide & currents. - I explained.
They appear to understand me but went not satisifed.

Our 5K event has gone from 32 min. to 1h12 min. in different editions. It always means the effect of the tides (not the real speed of the swimmer), wich time is changing daily (and yearly of course). We can´t schedule the start at same time every year because tide could be so low. We can´t schedule start moment at a fixed moment of the tide because it could be by night or similar. So records are interesting as more curious info, but could be absolutely unreal and unfair.

Anyway, from that day who TV staf asked, I realized that in Navia, we can´t be so technicist about record circumstances, because lot of people of the world (not swimmers or similars) may interest in open water races records and, even unreal, they are accurate data.

So I try to offer you the exact data, Steven next days. We are already a bit busy!

P.D. Steven and all race directors. I would be so pleased if you help me.
Could you tell me if on your PC´s and from your world different locations you can watch "EN DIRECTO" window on www.rtpa.es (right side of the screen)??? It´s TV channel who will broadcast our competition on August 8th and It´s possible have problems to watch around the world.

Thanks a lot for your collaboration.

Ignacio M.Sela

Rob Kent, LOSTswimming.com (Canada)

Jul 29, 2010, 7:47:53 AM7/29/10
to Open Water Race Directors
Hi Steven,

You can find the records for Lake Ontario Crossings on our website,
LOSTswimming.com, also records for the great lakes on Soloswims.com.

Cheers,

Rob

On Jul 29, 4:08 am, Ignacio Martinez Sela <nachoms...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Dear Steven: I you are an absolute human encyclopedia about open water
> swimming!!!!!!
>
> I understand the aim to collect the record of competitions. It would serve
> to encourage swimmers to beat it each edition, or may increase the
> spectators interest in a speed race or tight end.
>
> Last year in Navia, in our first TV broadcasting, TV operators (first time
> in a open water swim) ask us about Descenso Ria Navia race record to include
> in the videos. Me and a mate of organization sure we make fool face:
>
> *-There´s no records!* - we answer.
> *-What? **What is the shorter time in history made by a winner? -*reply
> them.
> *-In open water swimming, and specially in Navia, time needed to win is so
> variable every year because river conditions, specially by the  tide &
> currents. - *I explained.
> They appear to understand me but went not satisifed.
>
> Our 5K event has gone from 32 min. to 1h12 min. in different editions. It
> always means the effect of the tides (not the real speed of the swimmer),
> wich time is changing daily (and yearly of course). We can´t schedule the
> start at same time every year because tide could be so low. We can´t
> schedule start moment at a fixed moment of the tide because it could be by
> night or similar. So records are interesting as more curious info, but could
> be absolutely unreal and unfair.
>
> Anyway, from that day who TV staf asked, I realized that in Navia, we can´t
> be so technicist about record circumstances, because lot of people of the
> world (not swimmers or similars) may interest in open water races records
> and, even unreal, they are accurate data.
>
> So I try to offer you the exact data, Steven next days. We are already a bit
> busy!
>
> P.D. Steven and all race directors. I would be so pleased if you help me.
> Could you tell me if on your PC´s and from your world different locations
> you can watch "EN DIRECTO" window onwww.rtpa.es(right side of the

Steven Munatones

Jul 29, 2010, 4:29:24 PM7/29/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much, Rob.

I corrected the information in the article on the world records, which I
believe are an excellent way to promote our sport and motivate swimmers:
http://www.dailynewsofopenwaterswimming.com/2010/07/man-vs-woman-vs-wild-wor
ld-marathon.html

Steven