minimum age

Kate Alexander

Oct 6, 2010, 9:40:15 AM10/6/10
to Open Water Race Directors

Hello all,

I am looking for guidelines or feedback on minimum age requirements for OWS.

What would any of you recommend as the minimum age for these distances:

800m

1 mile

2 mile

5k

10k

Is it fair to make an exception if the swimmer is quite good and has the explicit permission of their coach and parent, e.g., “Minimum age 10 – swimmers 8-9 with the explicit permission of their coach and parent/guardian.”

Our 800m swims are in shallow water and have easy-access sandy beach the entire length – is age 5 too young? Age 4? If the parent is swimming along with them?

Thanks for your input,

Kate Alexander

Cayman Islands

katealex.vcf

ea...@aol.com

Oct 6, 2010, 12:53:28 PM10/6/10
to kate...@candw.ky, openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kate,

I am the marathon director for the SWIM Across the Sound.  This open water swim form Port Jefferson, NY to Bridgeport, CT is approximately a 25k and has both solo swimmers, two-person relays, and team relays (4-6 members).  Our stated age minimum is 19 years old for the solo and two person relay participants and 13 years old for team relays, using FINA (12/31) guidelines.  That being said, we also state that the SWIM Committee has discretion to allow the age minimum requirement to be waived.

I have attached the requirements for the solo swimmers under 19 years old to be considered.  Similar requirements apply to the other categories, however, 12 years old for a team relay would be the youngest we would consider. Our event is geared toward fundraising and our focus is safety first. The Long Island Sound is not a shoreline swim and can be rough physically and mentally for the inexperienced open water swimmer, even if on a team relay.

I believe that any distance above 3k should have a 13 years old minimum, with prior open water credentials. It sounds like you can develop a natural progression for increasing distances as the children get older.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Liz

--
Thank you very much for your interest in open water swimming.
Underage_Swimmer_Requirement Final.doc

Chris Sheean

Oct 6, 2010, 1:23:35 PM10/6/10
to kate...@candw.ky, openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Kate,

For the Big Shoulders 5K & 2.5K open water swims in Chicago this past September 11, we joined forces with USA Swimming's local group to offer age group races as follows:  10 & under (500m), 11-12 (1000m), 13-14 (1500 m), and 15-18 (2000m).  The distances were selected by the Illinois Swimming folks, but it ended up being a stormy day, so we were glad to have the shorter distances for the less experienced open water swimmers.  I would note that there are certainly some 15-18 year olds that could more than handle a 2.5K or 5K swim, depending upon their open water experience.

Best of luck with your event.  I was in Grand Cayman with my family in early April, and had some wonderful swims along 7 mile beach!

Chris

Oct 6, 2010, 2:24:59 PM10/6/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com, Kate Alexander email
In my opinion, if rules are established and exceptions are made, then rules are not rules, merely guidelines.

Also, because water temperatures vary from the Cayman Islands to more northerly locations, the situations may be different.

In FINA, we have a 14-year-old minimum.

In various channels around the world, the minimum age limit varies.

At the same time, young age-group children swim over 5K in a pool practice which is a good indication that they are physiologically prepared for a 5K in the open water.

Liz's suggestion that the minimum age increases with the distance is a good one. This age/distance minimums have been in place in Southern California, Australia and New Zealand for decades.

Additionally, consideration must be made for shoreline-parallel courses vs. out-and-back courses vs. point-to-point courses.

Additionally, do you allow for considerations like Swim Angels or paddleboards along the course where the children can grab onto something. This gives the younger ones a sense of security and calm when they know there is always help available, even if they never use such a crutch. Traditionalists and the parents of fast swimmers may not like this, but the goal is to enable an enjoyable experience for the younger ones as a springboard to longer and more competitive events.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 12:53:28 -0400

Chip Carrigan

Oct 6, 2010, 4:32:50 PM10/6/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com, Kate Alexander email
Hi Kate,

Your welcome to see what we've been doing for Age Group Open Water Championships over the past six years up here in Ohio at OhioOpenWater.com and KentuckyOpenWater.com, regarding 10 & unders, and all age groups. We attracted 429 Age Group athletes in 2010, and hope to see 550-600 in 2011. Complete meet book, time standards, six years of results, etc. are all posted. Maybe hard for 8 and unders to meet the "Natl BB" time standards for 10&U, but if they do, there competent to swim.

Best wishes!

ps: Miss staying at Lacovia on Seven Mile Beach (multiple trips), as you have the best scuba diving in the world.

Chip Carrigan
Cincinnati Aquatic Club
513-404-6530
carr...@fuse.net

Anne Cleveland

Oct 6, 2010, 1:54:03 PM10/6/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com, kate...@candw.ky
Kate,
I would concur with Liz on this.
Anne Cleveland
mobile 858-454-3196

Rob Kent, LOSTswimming.com (Canada)

Oct 7, 2010, 7:43:56 AM10/7/10
to Open Water Race Directors
Kate,

Good question, as it was something we struggled with for the LOST Race
in Lake Ontario... thanks for asking, Kate.

I agree with Liz and Anne, that's what we did... 13 seems to be a good
age and you can say it is a FINA requirement / guideline... and giving
the race committee discretion is smart, as we all know some of these
young kids are much faster and stronger than their age.

Cheers,

Rob
> > openwater-racedir...@googlegroups.com<openwater-racedirector­s%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/openwater-racedirectors?hl=en?hl=en- Hide quoted text -

Steven Munatones

Oct 7, 2010, 8:19:07 AM10/7/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
14 is the FINA minimum age for open water events.
From Steven Munatones
(714) 305-7374

Oct 7, 2010, 8:42:01 AM10/7/10
to Open Water Race Directors
Kate,
I think that you have to be careful when you look at guidlines/rules
from FINA & other governing bodies as there events are often
specifically for competitive swimmers, whereas the events that we
organise (Great Swim) are aimed at 'fun' swimmers. But it is good to
have your distances at least based off something, in case your safety
plan is challenged.

Our swims are one mile (over 16 year olds) 500m - half a mile over 11
year olds;

Triathlon rules in the UK (we do have cold water over here) are;

8 yrs old =100m max open water
9 - 10 = 200m max open water
11 - 12 = 300m max open water
13 - 14 = 350 m max open water
15 - 16 = 750m max open water

British Swimming states (very much based on good strong young
swimmers)

410.4 Open Water
Events up to and including 1,000 m 11 years
Events up to and including 2,000 m 12 years
Events up to and including 10,000 m 13 years
Events over 10,000 m 16 years

Hope that helps?
Col

On Oct 6, 2:40 pm, Kate Alexander <katea...@candw.ky> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am looking for guidelines or feedback on minimum age requirements for OWS.
>
> What would any of you recommend as the minimum age for these distances:
>
>     800m
>
>     1 mile
>
>     2 mile
>
>     5k
>
>     10k
>
> Is it fair to make an exception if the swimmer is quite good and has the
> explicit permission of their coach and parent, e.g., "Minimum age 10 --
> swimmers 8-9 with the explicit permission of their coach and
> parent/guardian."
>
> Our 800m swims are in shallow water and have easy-access sandy beach the
> entire length -- is age 5 too young? Age 4? If the parent is swimming
> along with them?
>
> Thanks for your input,
>
> Kate Alexander
>
> Cayman Islands
>
>  katealex.vcf
> < 1KViewDownload

Radek Taborsky

Oct 7, 2010, 10:27:57 AM10/7/10
to kate...@candw.ky, openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
In the Czech Republic, we have also limited age for the OWS races as
following:
No OWS for under 10y
up to 1km for 10y
up to 3km for 11-12y
up to 5km for 13-14y.

Another limitation results from water temperature and doesn't allow
any swim for younger than 14 years below 16°C and olny 50% of
maximal permitted distance while water temperature is below 18°C.

Radek Taborsky

> I am looking for guidelines or feedback on minimum
> age requirements for OWS.
>
> What would any of you recommend as the minimum age
> for these distances:
>
> 800m
>
> 1 mile
>
> 2 mile
>
> 5k
>
> 10k
>
> Is it fair to make an exception if the swimmer is
> quite good and has the
> explicit permission of their coach and parent,

> e.g., "Minimum age 10 --

> swimmers 8-9 with the explicit permission of their
> coach and
> parent/guardian."
>
> Our 800m swims are in shallow water and have
> easy-access sandy beach the

> entire length -- is age 5 too young? Age 4? If the

> parent is swimming
> along with them?
>
> Thanks for your input,
>
> Kate Alexander
>
> Cayman Islands

Ignacio Martinez Sela

Oct 8, 2010, 2:01:21 AM10/8/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com, kate...@candw.ky
I completely agree with the 2 latest Steve´s ideas . Both consider the type of course, and to offer floating aids for the youngest swimmers. I think it is right. It is encouraging participation at this sport, no doubt.

Obviously the problem may be in danger for littler swimmers, either by their physical characteristics as accidents. Ultimately, it is the law that compels us. In Spain, usually if a swimmer has an official federal license, it includes insurance to cover liability for damages, subject to compliance with the current Spanish regulations, that are according to the FINA international (14 years Steve marks). We organize a popular race in which we have become participants in 6 years swimming 1100 m. (on favorable river conditions and, yes, accompanied by their parent/s). That's why in Navia we are accustomed to formalize a private insurance that covers the cases that fall outside of what the federal insurance offers, in addition to requiring parental consent.

Obsessing is not good, security measures are never enough. The risk is always there in spite of our cautions. In a seemingly safe course as you describe, I would have no problem in principle to admit swimmers under age 14.

Greetings

Kate Alexander

Oct 8, 2010, 7:56:30 PM10/8/10
to Ignacio Martinez Sela, openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone for your input. It's been helpful to hear your perspectives and ideas.

In Cayman, we have been allowing kids younger than what most of the rest of you allow. Our kids grow up here swimming open water pretty regularly, so they get experience early and often. Our conditions are also pretty easy - shallow (salt) water with very easy entry/exit and typically warm and calm conditions. It is not uncommon for the kids in our pool program to complete their first 800m sea swim at age 7, some even at age 6, almost always with parents swimming along side.

The more conservative age limits that you have shared are food for thought as we try to improve our safety plan.

Thanks for your ideas.

Regards,
Kate

On 10/8/2010 1:01 AM, Ignacio Martinez Sela wrote:
[...]

Karen Markin

Oct 8, 2010, 7:56:04 PM10/8/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com

> Subject: Re: minimum age
> To: openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
> From: st...@pan-pacific-partners.com
> Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 12:19:07 +0000

Chip Carrigan

Oct 8, 2010, 8:31:28 PM10/8/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Kate,

Your welcome.
First we determined our customers ( age groups), then we determined distance, then we defined time standards for entry.

Best wishes.

Chip Carrigan
================

On Oct 8, 2010, at 7:56 PM, Kate Alexander <kate...@candw.ky> wrote:

[...]

<katealex.vcf>

Jose Ferreira Pinto

Oct 10, 2010, 12:48:10 AM10/10/10
to Open Water Race Directors
Just a quick note on childreen doing openwater swimming
We have on HK two kid one girl and one boy both 12 year old
both have done the 5 k race. The boy did it in 68 minutes!

On Oct 9, 7:56 am, Kate Alexander <katea...@candw.ky> wrote:
>   Thanks to everyone for your input. It's been helpful to hear your
> perspectives and ideas.
>
> In Cayman, we have been allowing kids younger than what most of the rest
> of you allow. Our kids grow up here swimming open water pretty
> regularly, so they get experience early and often. Our conditions are
> also pretty easy - shallow (salt) water with very easy entry/exit and
> typically warm and calm conditions. It is not uncommon for the kids in
> our pool program to complete their first 800m sea swim at age 7, some
> even at age 6, almost always with parents swimming along side.
>
> The more conservative age limits that you have shared are food for
> thought as we try to improve our safety plan.
>
> Thanks for your ideas.
>
> Regards,
> Kate
>
> On 10/8/2010 1:01 AM, Ignacio Martinez Sela wrote:> I completely agree with the 2 latest Steve�s ideas . Both consider the
> > type of course, and to offer floating aids for the youngest swimmers.
> > I think it is right. It is encouraging participation at this sport, no
> > doubt.
>
> > Obviously the problem may be in danger for littler swimmers, either by
> > their physical characteristics as accidents. Ultimately, it is the law
> > that compels us. In Spain, usually if a swimmer has an official
> > federal license, it includes insurance to cover liability for damages,
> > subject to compliance with the current Spanish regulations, that are
> > according to the FINA international (14 years Steve marks). We
> > organize a popular race in which we have become participants in 6
> > years swimming 1100 m. (on favorable river conditions and, yes,
> > accompanied by their parent/s). That's why in Navia we are accustomed
> > to formalize a private insurance that covers the cases that fall
> > outside of what the federal insurance offers, in addition to requiring
> > parental consent.
>
> > Obsessing is not good, security measures are never enough. The risk is
> > always there in spite of our cautions. In a seemingly safe course as
> > you describe, I would have no problem in principle to admit swimmers
> > under age 14.
>
> > Greetings
>

>  katealex.vcf
> < 1KViewDownload

Ignacio Martinez Sela

Oct 11, 2010, 3:01:56 AM10/11/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Interestingly, the most characteristic rule of open water swimming is that there is no fixed rule.

Our careers are largely different (depending on track conditions, level and number of participants, etc).However, knowing the difference in our competitions, it is very important, valuable and rewarding, having the opportunity to share experiences (and if possible, to unify standards). Therefore, I want to thank Steven for his continued commitment and all of you for your participation.

Best regards

euroniekk

Oct 25, 2010, 4:08:18 PM10/25/10
to Open Water Race Directors
Dutch OW Rules 2010 (Translated with Google)

2004 - from the 6th birthday boys and girls minioren 1
• 250m in a start
• no ranking participation
2003 - boys and girls minioren 1
• 250m in a start
• no ranking participation
2002 - boys and girls minioren 2
• 250m in a start
• no ranking participation
2001 - boys and girls minioren 3
• 250m in a start
• no ranking participation
2000 - boys and girls minioren 4
• up to 500m in a start up in two starts
• no ranking participation
1999 - boys and girls minioren 5
• up to 500m in a start up in two starts
• no ranking participation
1999 - Girls minioren 5
• up to a maximum of two starts in 1000
• no ranking participation
1998 - Boys minioren 6
• up to a maximum of two starts in 1500
• limited participation in junior freestyle rankings possible
• Full participation in junior breaststroke rankings possible
• limited participation in youth and senior freestyle rankings
possible
• limited participation in youth and senior breaststroke rankings
possible
1998 - Junior girls 1
• up to 2500m in two starts up
• limited participation in junior freestyle rankings possible
• Full participation in junior breaststroke rankings possible
• limited participation in youth and senior freestyle rankings
possible
• limited participation in youth and senior breaststroke rankings
possible
• participation OpenNederlandsChampionship 2.5 km freestyle juniors
possible
1997 - boys and girls junior 1 junior 2
• up to a maximum of two starts in 3000
• Full participation in junior freestyle rankings possible
• Full participation in junior breaststroke rankings possible
• limited participation in youth and senior freestyle rankings
possible
• limited participation in youth and senior breaststroke rankings
possible
• participation ONC 2.5 km freestyle juniors
• Breaststroke seniors may participate 3km ONK
1996 - boys and girls junior 2 junior 3
• up to a maximum of two starts in 3000
• Full participation in junior freestyle standings
• Full participation in junior breaststroke rankings
• limited participation in youth and senior freestyle rankings
possible
• limited participation in youth and senior breaststroke rankings
possible
• ONC 2.5 km freestyle juniors
• 3km ONK breaststroke seniors may
1995 - Junior Boys 3
• up to a maximum of two starts in 10000m
• Full participation in junior freestyle standings
• Full participation in junior breaststroke rankings
• full participation in youth and senior freestyle rankings possible
• full participation in youth and senior breaststroke rankings
possible
• participation ONC 2.5 km freestyle juniors
• participation ONC 5km freestyle seniors may
• participation ONC 10km freestyle seniors may
• Breaststroke seniors may participate 3km ONK
1995 - Youth Women 1
• up to a maximum of two starts in 10000m
• full participation in youth and senior freestyle rankings
• full participation in youth and senior breaststroke rankings
• participation ONC 5km freestyle seniors
• participation ONC 10km freestyle seniors
• participation 3km ONK senior breaststroke
1994Boys junior 4
• unlimited distance unlimited number of starts
• Full participation in junior freestyle standings
• Full participation in junior breaststroke rankings
• full participation in youth and senior freestyle rankings
• full participation in youth and senior breaststroke rankings
• participation 3km ONC freestyle juniors
• participation ONC 5km freestyle seniors may
• participation ONC 10km freestyle seniors may
• participation possible NK Marathon Swimming
• Breaststroke seniors may participate 3km ONK
1994 Women's Youth 2
• unlimited distance unlimited number of starts
• full participation in youth and senior freestyle rankings
• full participation in youth and senior breaststroke rankings
• a hooded possible in the above classifications
• participation ONC 5km freestyle seniors
• participation ONC 10km freestyle seniors
• participation possible NC Marathon Swimming
• Breaststroke seniors may participate 3km ONK
1993 - young men1 and women seniors 1
• unlimited distance unlimited number of starts
• full participation in youth and senior freestyle rankings
• full participation in youth and senior breaststroke rankings
• participation ONC 5km freestyle seniors
• participation ONC 10km freestyle seniors
• participation NK Marathon Swim
• participation 3km ONK senior breaststroke
1992 - Men Seniors 2 and Women Youth 2
• unlimited distance unlimited number of starts
• full participation in youth and senior freestyle rankings
• full participation in youth and senior breaststroke rankings
• a hooded possible in the above classifications
• participation ONC 5km freestyle seniors
• participation ONC 10km freestyle seniors
• participation NC Marathon Swim
• participation 3km ONK senior breaststroke
1991 - men seniors 1 and women senior
• unlimited distance unlimited number of starts
• Full participation in senior freestyle rankings
• Full participation in senior breaststroke rankings
• participation ONC 5km freestyle seniors
• participation ONC 10km freestyle seniors
• participation NK Marathon Swim
• participation 3km ONK senior breaststroke
1990 - 2 men senior and women seniors
• unlimited distance unlimited number of starts
• Full participation in senior freestyle rankings
• Full participation in senior breaststroke rankings
• participation ONC 5km freestyle seniors
• participation ONC 10km freestyle seniors
• participation NK Marathon Swim
• participation 3km ONK senior breaststroke
1989 and later - men seniors and women seniors
• unlimited distance unlimited number of starts
• Full participation in senior freestyle rankings
• Full participation in senior breaststroke rankings
• participation ONC 5km freestyle seniors
• participation ONC 10km freestyle seniors
• participation NK Marathon Swim
• participation 3km ONK senior breaststroke
1990 and later - Masters Men and Masters Women
• as Master (!) Up to 5000m per start
• as Master (!) Unlimited number of starts
• as a senior (!) Unlimited distance unlimited number of starts
• Full participation in Masters freestyle standings
• Full participation in Masters breaststroke rankings
• Full participation in senior freestyle rankings possible (not
Masters)
• Full participation in senior breaststroke rankings possible (not
Masters)
• participation ONC 3km Freestyle Masters
• participation 2km ONK Breaststroke Masters
• participation ONC 5km freestyle seniors (not Masters)
• participation ONC 10km freestyle seniors (not Masters)
• participation NK Marathon Swimming (not Masters)
• participation 3km ONC breaststroke seniors (not Masters)

Niek Kloots

http://openwaterswimming.eu
http://noww.nl