Maximum Allowable Water Temperature

瀏覽次數:11 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Munatones

未讀,
2010年10月27日 下午1:20:052010/10/27
收件者:Open Water Race Directors
With the tragedy of Fran Crippen's death, the issue of adding a rule
about the maximum allowable water temperature has been raised. We
have a very specific water temperature number that we recommended
earlier this year, but what does the Global Open Water Swimming
Community think this number should be?

Should the maximum allowable water temperature be different for elite
swimmers and age-group swimmers and adult fitness swimmers?

Is water temperature the only parameter that should be considered?
What about air temperature, humidity and the lack of cloud cover?
What about the distance of the race?

Finally, are there any races around the world where there is a maximum
allowable water temperature? We asked this question to the U.S.
Masters Swimming community earlier this year, but there are been very
few responses.

Thank you very much for your input, advice and information.

Keith Bell

未讀,
2010年10月27日 下午1:53:452010/10/27
收件者:openwater-r...@googlegroups.com、Sandy Neilson-Bell
Stephen,

We are angered and appalled by the conditions in which the race was
conducted that lead to Fran Crippen's death and the hospitalization of
three other swimmers.

We do not run any races in the summer here because the water is too
hot. It's too dangerous, let alone not conducive to optimal
performance.

We would never have even considered running or sanctioning a 10,000 in
a body of water that had a historic water temperature that hot.

We would like to see the maximum water temperature for a 10k or longer
to be set at 78 degrees or even cooler.

We also do not allow contact or drafting at all in our races. I have
been greatly concerned all along with Fina's practice of feeding
stations where contact is permitted. Competitively, it is wise to cut
opponents off, not allowing them to get to their drinks. This is
extremely dangerous and, I have believed all along, could lead to
swimmers' deaths in warm, let alone hot, water.

I expressed great concern about the safety of swimmers in the 2008
Olympics in that 86 degree course and with rules that interfere with
hydration.

This tragedy should never have happened. We should never let this
happen again.

Keith

Dr. Keith Bell, President
American Swimming Association
in...@americanswimmingassociation.com
www.americanswimmingassociation.com
(512) 327-2260

> --
> Thank you very much for your interest in open water swimming.

Steven Munatones

未讀,
2010年10月27日 下午3:14:352010/10/27
收件者:openwater-r...@googlegroups.com、Sandy Neilson-Bell、Shelley Taylor-Smith、sid cassidy、Sataline, Suzanne、Mark Warkentin、vo...@usc.edu、Rick Walker、Karen Reeder
Thank you very much for your suggestions, Keith.

Do you have any flexibility on the 78°F water (26°C)? For example, 78°/26°
water on a bright sunny day with no wind and high humidity presents one set
of conditions for the athletes. 78°/26° water on a cloudy day with high
winds presents another set of conditions. Or do you believe this should be
a hard and fast rule? We would be interested in your opinion as we try to
come to grips with this situation and prevent it from happening again.

With an upper limit of 78°/26° degrees, there would be many marathon races
around the world that would be cancelled, from races in southern Florida and
the Caribbean Sea to Eastern European races. I wonder what these race
directors think of this proposal. Of course, the dates of races could
change to accommodate these new standards. That is, instead of holding
races in the summer months, the races can be held in the spring or fall
months.

Allow me to clarify a few things.

Impeding a swimmer - which includes cutting a swimmer off - in FINA and USA
Swimming races are strictly dealt with. Warnings, yellow cards and
disqualifications are given - and given quite frequently (depending on the
referee's interpretation, of course). For example, at some of the world
championship races with fields of about 40 athletes as many as 7 yellow
cards were given. That is a fairly high percentage.

I also do not believe that the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim course in Beijing
was 86°F (30°C). I believe it was around 83°F (28.3°C), although Shelley
Taylor-Smith or Sid Cassidy will remember the actual number. Still very
high, but there was rain and a bit of cooling off during the second week of
the Olympics that spared the athletes. It was interesting to note that many
of the swimmers who performed well in Beijing had very specifically trained
for the hot and humid conditions. Some conditions had even consulted with
their government's military to determine the best way to acclimate and
perform under those conditions.

Karen Reeder

未讀,
2010年10月27日 下午4:02:132010/10/27
收件者:Steven Munatones、openwater-r...@googlegroups.com、Sandy Neilson-Bell、Shelley Taylor-Smith、sid cassidy、Sataline, Suzanne、Mark Warkentin、vo...@usc.edu、Rick Walker
Steve,

I don't think that wind and cloud/sun conditions can be included in a rule.
These aren't very predictable and can change. What if it is cloudy at the
start and then it clears up before the race finishes?

Air temperature could be used, though, in this equation because that can be
predicted with more accuracy. I think there was a race in Australia in a
lake that was pretty warm because it came through a power plant, but the air
temp was cooler, maybe 60 degrees? Shelley might now those temps better.
Also, if a swim was planned and the temp was close to the limit, the
organizer could move it to early in the morning before air temperature got
too high.

Key West is one swim here in the US that has very warm water temperatures.
I think it was in the low 80's the year I participated. Not very
comfortable but it was an escort swim and I could get water if needed it at
any time. That is another variable. Are there feed stations or escort
craft?

Karen Reeder

From: head...@10Kswim.com
To: clab...@yahoo.com
CC: openwater-r...@googlegroups.com; Cham...@ChampionMindset.com.au; sid.c...@saintandrewsschool.net; ch...@archonomy.biz; jensch...@cox.net; lweis...@gmail.com; lweis...@me.com; coac...@sbswim.net; eney...@hotmail.com; sakura....@googlemail.com; Br...@aol.com; dksr...@skybeam.com; JWMS...@aol.com; K.Th...@warwick.ac.uk
Subject: RE: Maximum Allowable Water Temperature - discussions continue
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 16:18:04 -0700

Kate Alexander

未讀,
2010年10月30日 上午8:58:102010/10/30
收件者:openwater-r...@googlegroups.com

Water temperature does not equal air temp here in Cayman.

�

Normally, water temp is 5-10 degrees lower than air temp.

�

Water temp here is affected much more by wind than by air temp or sun. Our open water and pool temps drop dramatically on windy days. The more windy days in a row, the cooler the water gets. And it remains cooler for up to several days after the wind dies until the sun can warm it back up.

�

Storms can also bring in cooler or warmer water. It might seem like a �cool� day for swimming when a storm has just passed and the sky is cloudy, but the water is actually surprisingly warm because it came in from the south on a storm.

Kate

On 10/29/2010 6:18 PM, Steven Munatones wrote:

[...]

Wvwelzien

未讀,
2010年10月30日 下午4:39:222010/10/30
收件者:openwater-r...@googlegroups.com、do...@juno.com

Greetings from Key West,

I have been following the emails on the water temp discussion.  This is a great interest to me as I organize a warm water event.  I am completing a information document that will go out to all on our email list and I clearly state that the Annual Swim Around Key West (12.5 miles) is a warm water swim.  Our 35th Annual swim is scheduled for June 4th, weeks earlier than this year's June 26th swim.

I tell the swimmers that they can expect our water temp to be some where around 83-85 degrees.  The last swim brought temps around 85 but a week earlier the water was up to 87-88.  It cooled due to a good wind the week before and leading up to the event.

Every event has its unique challenges and this is not an event for people who eschew warm water.  My body loves the warm water and cringes in cold.

I attempted Tampa Bay several years ago and the water was sub 70 degrees.  I swam the most miserable eleven plus hours in my life.  I was stiff as a board and it took me hours to bring my core temp to normal.

Last year I purposely waited until September to swim the length of the Sea of Galilee so the water would be at its warmest.  It was about 83 degrees and I loved it so much.  My time in Galilee was only one less than in Tampa Bay.

I am not an elite swimmer or even a fast swimmers but I like to go long and consider anything below 78 degrees cold.

I have been organizing the Annual Swim Around Key West for about 8 years now and I have not known of anyone who was physically forced to quit due to heat exhaustion due to the water temp, thankfully there have been no deaths nor hospitalizations to date, for any reason. Honestly, I have heard very little, if any complaints about the water temp from swimmers who have swum this venue.

We mandate that every swimmer has his/her own support kayak or escort boat and have numerous "Committee Boats" overseeing the swimmers just in case.

We urge swimmers stay well hydrated.

Bill Welzien
Organizer
35th Annual Swim Around Key West (12.5 miles)
Saturday, June 4th, 2011

[...]

2010年10月31日 下午6:41:342010/10/31
收件者:eney...@hotmail.com、head...@10kswim.com、clab...@yahoo.com、openwater-r...@googlegroups.com、cham...@championmindset.com.au、sid.c...@saintandrewsschool.net、ch...@archonomy.biz、jensch...@cox.net、lweis...@gmail.com、lweis...@me.com、coac...@sbswim.net、sakura....@googlemail.com、br...@aol.com、dksr...@skybeam.com、k.th...@warwick.ac.uk、JWMS...@aol.com
In a message dated 10/29/2010 7:57:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time, eney...@hotmail.com writes:

Hi Steve,

Research is clearly needed.  A simple scale will not work.  For instance, if we take 72 degree water - lower limit of slightly chilled but comfortable swim - factor in sun vs overcast, dry vs raining, wind vs calm, current vs still water you will have very different athlete responses.  I am no proposing that I know how to come up with a formula that takes these into account but that would be ideal.

As you know, we have a lower limit of 16 degrees Cent. (60.8 F) and will need an upper number or formula to calculate a limit, based upon the energy exchange systems.

Will all athletes respond equally - no.  Will all athletes of varying BMI respond the same - no.  Will all athletes responde the same based on age (capillary density and body surface vs mass calculations) - no.  Not an easy task and my guess is that this is why it is not well researched.

Jim

From: head...@10Kswim.com
To: clab...@yahoo.com
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 16:18:04 -0700

=

Colin Hill

未讀,
2010年11月1日 上午8:18:472010/11/1
收件者:Open Water Race Directors
This year Great Swim had to make the tuff call to cancel the British
Gas Great North Swim, due to high levels of Blue Green Algae. We had
9000 entries and predicted spectators of 20,000. I mention this to
show that water levels to high, low or water quality too low, the
events organiser has a duty of care of the swimmers and that must come
first.

With regards to temp - like some here, our events are both mass
participation and elite. Wetsuits are worn by our elite swimmers and
when optional by 95% of our swimmers.

Our swims in 2010 were one mile.

Under 15 degrees - wetsuits compulsory;

11 - 12 degrees (course is reduced to 800m)
12 - 13 degrees (course reduced to 1200m)
13 - 15 degrees (any distance up to 2000m)
Over 23 degrees wetsuits not allowed
I don't think we've ever had water over 30 degrees, but I will look at
advice on here and add a max temp into the safety plan. Sometimes
events can be put on by non-swimmers and the Event Safety Plan needs
to have every aspect of the safety clearly laid out.

With regards to the Blue Green Algae (which cancelled two swim events
for us this year), I'm working on a document with UK specilists in
that area, based on the World Health Organisation guidelines to
produce a table which covers various types of algae and the safe
swimming levels recommended. I've found the different areas that we
hold our swims the local authorities have varying standards which they
will then ban swimming.

Colin Hill
colin...@nova-international.com

Karen Reeder

未讀,
2010年11月1日 中午12:22:222010/11/1
收件者:openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Another variable with water temp is that lake, ocean and pool of the same
temperature all "feel" different. I always thought it was about a 2 degree
difference between lake and ocean, ie 64 degrees in the ocean feels the same
as 66 in a lake. I have experienced also that pools have even a colder
"feel" than lakes do. If it is about the same difference as lake/ocean and
applied to the chart it would make sense to pool coaches as well.

78 degree ocean = 80 degree lake = 82 degree pool
80 degree ocean = 82 degree lake = 84 degree pool
82 degree ocean = 84 degree lake = 86 degree pool

I'm not sure what the mechanism is for the difference. (Humidty in air
causes a difference in "feel"). There isn't science to back this up
either. Maybe it is the thermal conductivity of the water which changes the
rate at which the body heats/cools? If anybody was doing a study, though,
they would have to keep this in mind. The results would be different based
upon the type of water in which it was conducted. The likely place for a
study is in a pool due to safety considerations and that might not yield the
expected result.

Karen Reeder

From: Keith Bell <kb...@austin.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 10:08:38 -0600
To: John Kenny<jkenn...@gmail.com>

John,

Just a few comments:

The risk factor seems way different to me as a swimmer than it does as a race director.  I'm willing to make the decision for myself as to the risks.  When Jim McConica and I trained together, we would occasionally swim in the Pacific unescorted (except by each other) out to, around, and back from a barge anchored about a mile and a half from shore. I knew the risks and opted to do it.  But there is no way I could responsibly put on a race that way.

At my lake house, I routinely swim alone.  Boats and PWCs are huge dangers.  Often I drag a buoy to help to be seen.  Sometimes I tow a kayak.  (Sometimes I tie a blow-up plastic man sitting erect in my kayak to aid my chances of being seen.  See a pic of this here: http://keithbell.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/no-im-not-sneaking-into-the-hov-lane/)  Then, of course, there are times when others swim with me or Sandy kayaks while I swim, then hops in with me and one of us drags the kayak.  But again, boats and PWCs remain huge risks.  I wouldn't put on a race without more coverage than that.

As race directors, we're not making decisions on what we're willing to risk as swimmers.  And, although I think a swimmer has a great deal of responsibility for deciding which race he enters, for which race he is prepared (and how well prepared he is), and how much risk he is willing to take; as race directors we are charged with the safety of all participants.

We can tell them they shouldn't enter if they are healthy, comfortable with finishing the race in a reasonable time, and prepared for the conditions; but we can't assure they are.  As race directors, we can't know they have heeded our warnings.  And, no matter what, in our litigious society, –  well, you know.

There are some standards for cold water set for some races.  I believe, in many ways, racing in hot water is much more dangerous and much more difficult to recognize and cure problems when they occur.

I don't have all the answers, but we do avoid hot water (and it is a huge factor in the decision as to when we schedule our races), especially for long races.  We sometimes require escort crafts (boats for our relay race (in which we additionally encourage a kayak escort as well) and personal escort kayaks for some races.  We always have at least one safety boat.

On the other hand, I believe that other than non-swimmers (or very poor swimmers), unrelated medical emergencies, and hot water; my biggest safety concern is often not only from water craft that might enter our race course in spite of the efforts of control boats, but from our safety water craft.  But that's a huge and different dilemna.

Keith

Keith Bell

未讀,
2010年11月18日 下午6:11:282010/11/18
收件者:John Kenny、openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

We need at least one power boat to keep other boats outside our courses, usually a police boat or lake patrol boat).  Except in our relay, we uses kayak escorts, if we mandate escorts, and always have safety kayaks along the sides and back of the courses.  The relay, of course, is required to transport the rest of the relay team while one swimmer is in the water.  We do like to have at least that one boat on hand in case we need to transport someone to shore quickly.  We don't want that boat to rush to aid, we want kayaks to do that and then get the boat carefully over to board the swimmer.  We make sure our boats get strict instructions about keeping the boats, and the waves,  and especially the fumes they put out, away from the swimmers.  We don't allow drafting, which of course, among other things, isn't as likely to put bunches of swimmers in harms way at once.

Meenakshi Pahuja

未讀,
2010年11月20日 晚上10:54:012010/11/20
收件者:openwater-r...@googlegroups.com、Keith Bell、John Kenny
thanks for sharing the link keith..
Regards
Meenakshi
On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Keith Bell <kb...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
[...]

On Nov 5, 2010, at 10:53 PM, John Kenny wrote:

Thanks and Regards

Meenakshi Pahuja

Assistant Professor in Physical Education
&
Programme Officer Alumna Relations
Lady Shri Ram College
9811093500

*Medallist at 10th Asia Pacific Age Group Aquatic Meet held at Pusan, South Korea,1996
*First one from Delhi to swim successfully Lake Zurich, 2007
*First one from Delhi to attempt Great English Channel, 2008
*First Indian to Successfully swim 5 lakes in 5 days -Tex Robertson High Land lakes Challenge, 2010

(Lake Buchanan, Inks Lake, Lake LBJ, Lake Marble Falls & Lake Travis)

-President, Alumni Association of IGIPESS

回覆所有人
回覆作者
轉寄
0 則新訊息