Standardization in Open Water Swimming

Munatones

Jul 21, 2010, 11:20:16 AM7/21/10
to Open Water Race Directors
In discussions with coaches, swimmers and others involved in open
water swimming, there appears to be a growing call to standardization
in our sport.

Before we discuss specifics, what general categories would be good to
discuss regarding standardization? Please consider three general race
formats in the following categories:

(a) Amateur mass participation races in lakes, rivers, bays, oceans,
seas, fjords, reservoirs, channels or dams
(b) Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
(c) Professional races of any distance

1. Turn Buoys - size, shape, color, markings
2. Start Instructions by Referee
3. Course Layout
4. Finish Chute / Platform - in-the-water and onshore
5. Hand signals from referees to swimmers in the water
6. Distances
7. Others. If so, what?

Thank you very much for your input. Your frank ideas, questions,
needs and requests are greatly appreciated.

wvwe...@aol.com

Jul 21, 2010, 11:44:35 AM7/21/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com, st...@pan-pacific-partners.com, twhit...@yahoo.com, do...@juno.com, sewfa...@aol.com, dbic...@urbancrest.org
Steve,

Greetings!  I hope you are well. Our 34th Annual went swimmingly well.

What I would appreciate as a swim organizer is some clear standard on what is acceptable swim apparel.  We already ban wet suits and any suits that will give an unfair advantage to the swimmer but I need something more specific, something to communicate to the swimmers so as to avoid our race director from controversies and headaches on race morning.  If something exist please forward what you have to me.  I am not interested in recreating the wheel (if it already exists!!).  Thanks.

Bill Welzien
Organizer
The 35th Annual Swim Around Key West (12.5 miles)

--
Thank you very much for your interest in open water swimming.

Colin Hill www.greatswim.org

Jul 22, 2010, 4:43:14 AM7/22/10
to Open Water Race Directors
HI Bill,

I look after our Great Swim Series in the UK, but compared to you we
are fairly new on the block. We will have 20,000 swimmers taking part
in our swims this year and far from banning wetsuits, we've tried to
keep the whole thing open and inclusive. People can wear wetsuits,
speedsuits or swimwear - if the temp falls below 15 degrees then
wetsuits are compulsory. This keeps triathletes, channel swimmers and
most importantly those new to swimming outdoors less restrictions into
entering our events (which are one mile). I'd say that at least 90%
of those swimming decide to wear a wetsuit of thier own choice,even
when the water is over 20 degrees.
Our elite races, they all wear wetsuits.
At our London Swim recently we had 12 waves of swimmers going off
every 30 mins (with the elite races at noon and 12.30). Each wave has
300 swimmers and people select online when they want to swim. This
allows the waves to be random mixed ability - so people still race and
they get there position on the website, but that isn't the focus on
the day. We had around well of 10,000 spectators watching the 5000
swimmers and the elite race ((won of course by Mr Lurz) pulled in a
huge crowd.
So for us, its very much keep it as open and welcoming as possible a
mix of British Swimming, FINA and British Long Distance Swimming rules
to come up with our own to suit our target audience.

Colin

Chris Sheean

Jul 23, 2010, 1:19:42 PM7/23/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
As the race director for the Big Shoulders Open Water Swim in Chicago, I agree wholeheartedly with Colin's sentiments regarding making open water swimming available to as wide an audience as possible.  We have separate wetsuit divisions for both our 5K and 2.5K swims, and make an effort to be as inclusive as possible for wetsuit swimmers.  As for the use of the swimskins and other suits now illegal in pool swimming, I believe the simplest course is to point to the FINA open water standard, and follow their directives.  So long as FINA allows suits below the knees, over the shoulders, etc., it makes sense for the open water race directors to follow suit.

As for standardization of starts/finishes, I think that could be a mistake.  One of the things that makes our races great are their unique characteristics.  Perhaps an in water start in the Thames is the best/most workable/most exciting start, but that isn't feasible for all.  For Big Shoulders, the in-water start insures a safer start, while the run up to the beach finish makes for many exciting climaxes at the end of the events.  I would compare the differences between race qualities to the differences in topography and climate in running race like the marathon.  What makes some marathons great are their unique challenges.

Steve - thanks for putting this together - it's a great resource.

Colin - would love to chat sometime about your amazing success in growing your series.

Best,

Chris Sheean

Jul 23, 2010, 7:05:27 PM7/23/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
In addition to being a race director, I have also been w/ the USLA
United States Lifesaving Assn and they do competitions that are
standard, but local variants change the standard. In fact, to be a
lifeguard at a USLA agency, there is no standardized training on the
national level and instead, defer to the "local knowledge" of the local
trainer.

Standardization for open water swimming would make it even more sterile
than the current 10K, rectangular course, complete with their judging,
infractions, and photo finishes. They've already made that event as
much like a pool event as is possible. If standardization makes for
safer events, great... but if there's standardization just so we can
sterilize the sport, that's just wrong.

Thank you,

Ron Collins
www.DistanceMatters.com

Steven Munatones

Jul 24, 2010, 4:30:16 PM7/24/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
I believe Colin got it right when he suggested that decisions should be made
based on one's target audience. Some traditionalists detest wetsuits or any
swimwear even remotely including polyurethane, including neoprene hats. On
the other end of the spectrum, newcomers to the sport or triathletes are
more comfortable swimming in their wetsuits. If you hold a race in the warm
temperatures of the Caribbean or the cool lakes of Canada, then your target
audience may change. From what I have heard, many competitive athletes
simply want a level playing field. So, like in Colin's races, if the elite
field wears wetsuits, then it is acceptable. But, if there are
non-wetsuiters and wetsuiters competing like in Alaska's Pennock Island
Challenge, then everyone prefers different award categories.

There are even a few races around the world where the race directors have
formulated a handicap system where the wetsuiters are given a time penalty
(or, in the reverse situation, the non-wetsuiters start first). Different
formulas give different results, but this is fun to do...and eventually over
a longer period of time, each race director will figure out the equitable
time penalty (or differential) based on the distance, conditions and water
temperature.

Steven Munatones
Huntington Beach, California

Thank you,

Ron Collins
www.DistanceMatters.com

> of those swimming decide to wear a wetsuit of their own choice, even

Steven Munatones

Jul 24, 2010, 4:31:44 PM7/24/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com

Many coaches around the world would like standardization in the form of commonly sized intermediate and turn buoys of the same size, color and shape (e.g., red buoys at the turns, yellow buoys as intermediate points of reference).  While this may not be practical in many courses, there are some advantages to this standardization.

In other endurance sports like marathon running and cycling, athletes are often given specific clues as to where they are on in course (e.g., via mile or kilometer markers).  While many athletes understand where they are along a course via landmarks, it would be great to at least number the turn buoys (e.g., #1, #2, #3) or at least indicate the halfway point.  Experienced swimmers may not need this navigational aid, but newcomers may appreciate the information.

If buoys could be standardized, then perhaps some would be interested in taking their splits from year-to-year.  At the USA Swimming national and FINA world championships, we have recently implemented split timing which has added a whole additional element to the sport of open water swimming.  Athletes and coaches can now understand pacing (despite differences in the elements from race to race) differently from before and there is something more to talk about.

Standardizing the course becomes easier as most races are now measured by GPS.  Enabling athletes to know they crossed the 1-mile or 1K mark at 20 minutes on race course #1 and finding out they swam through the mile/kilometer mark at 22 minutes on race course #2 would be cool and motivational for some.

Standardizing the size and shape of turn buoys could allow sponsors to place their logos on a number of turn buoys on different races.  So, for example, if Red Bull wanted to sponsor a number of races in California or the Cayman Islands or Florida or Fiji, then Red Bull could have logos of a standard size and the logos could be placed on a number of races.

Just a few ideas from Huntington Beach, California, U.S.A.

Steven Munatones

Steven Munatones

Jul 24, 2010, 4:33:07 PM7/24/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
FYI - the sterile, standard 10K course has certain advantages that were
necessary to be added to the Olympic program. (1) All the Olympics have
rowing courses, but they do not necessarily have safe or appropriate open
water venues close to the Village. (2) The cost of putting on a marathon
swim in a rowing basin is lower than hosting a marathon swim in the ocean or
lake due to a variety of factors (e.g., number of safety boats, buoys,
etc.). (3) The ease of televising. (4) The cost of televising due to the
infrastructure that is already in place for rowing. (5) The spectator stands
that are already in place. (6) The ability to charge for spectators in a
rowing basin.

For these reasons and a few others, the International Olympic Committee and
FINA believed marathon swimming was a reasonable addition to the 2008
Beijing Olympics. With a non-rectangular course in Hyde Park with difficult
tangents and 9 turn buoys to navigate over 6 loops at the 2012 London
Olympics and the tricky ocean course in Copacabana Beach set for the 2016
Rio Olympics, I think the navigational IQ of the world's fastest marathon
swimmers will be put to the test during the next few Olympics.

At the recent FINA World Championships in Roberval, Canada, the athletes
were faced with a course that may have looked easy to many experienced
marathon swimmers, but it was rather difficult for reasons that were not
immediately apparent. There were 6 different tangents along each course,
the turn buoys were small, the course never went parallel to the shore or
breakwater, the turn angles were all different, and the water temperature
fluctuated daily between 62 degrees F (17 degrees C) and 75 degrees F (24
degrees C). The next world championships in Shanghai will be held in a
rowing basin and will most likely be rectangular in shape, but because this
race will also be in Olympic 10K Marathon Swim qualification race, the
athletes, coaches and officials will be under tremendous pressure.

That being said, I agree that the beauty of open water swimming is that
courses are not standard in any way due to their course layout, distance,
position of turn buoys, differences in starts/turns, currents, water
temperature, currents, wind speed, altitude, marine life, level of
competition, etc. The sport truly offers something for everyone.

Steven Munatones
Huntington Beach, California

Jul 25, 2010, 2:01:45 PM7/25/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com

Good point about the onshore finishes.  Onshore finishes are also significantly easier to judge than in-the-water finishes which are notoriously difficult to determine winners.

You also make a good point on the number of buoys on a race course.  The one problem that I see with fewer buoys on the course are with inexperienced swimmers who have minimal open water navigational skills.   This increases risks and difficulty in reaching someone in need of a rescue because more swimmers will be spread out all over the course, especially in races that do not go parallel to a shoreline and where there are waves or currents.  Experienced-but-slow swimmers are easier to keep track of from a race director’s perspective than inexperienced-and-slow swimmers.  For many race directors, the cost of safety personnel and providing additional boats or kayaks on the course is an important consideration.

Steven

Jul 25, 2010, 3:02:06 PM7/25/10
to Open Water Race Directors
First of all, let me say that one of the things I like most about open
water races is no matter how similar in distance rules, etc, they are
always different. While I think standardization of markers, among
other issues may have some value, from what I've seen, I can't imagine
all others wanting to run their races the way we run ours or us
wanting to run ours the way others do theirs.

Although I've enjoyed competing in all sorts of open water races,
including those with on-shore starts and finishes, I don't like them
running into the water or out of the water or both to be included in
swimming races. I like swimming races to be swimming races. It's one
of the things I like better about open water swimming than pool
swimming. Pool swimming is a triathlon (dive/swim/acrobatic-reversal-
of-direction [turn]) and is getting increasingly less about swimming
and more about starts and turns. An open water swim with in-the-water-
start-and-finish is only swimming. I no more want a swimming race to
be determined by running than I would want an open water swimming race
to start with a softball toss for distance, a high jump over an
obstacle, run into the water, shoot ten balls into a water basket
while treading water, swim a ways, then run through a chute to
somewhere on the shore.. I want swimming races to be swimming and
only swimming. Thus, all of our races start in the water and finish
in the water: no running, no diving, just swimming.

I'm also vehemently opposed to the introduction of equipment into the
sport of swimming. I don't like wetsuits or tech suits any more than
I want fins, paddles, canoes, or motors to propel swimmers through the
water. I want swimmers to swim: "intransitive verb
1 a : to propel oneself in water by natural means (as movements of the
limbs, fins, or tail.)" In all but one of our races, we don't allow
wetsuits or tech suits. In the one in which we do, anyone wearing a
wetsuit or tech suit doesn't count for awards and is easily identified
in the water by competitors by the unique color caps wetsuit
(including tech suit) entrants must wear.

But then, we don't allow drafting in any of our events either.

I would like to see some industry standards for safety. Any thoughts
on safety? We have a heck of a time with the City setting safety
standards that are way out of line, expensive, unnecessary, and worst
of all – unsafe. Our biggest safety hazard for one of our races is
the safety craft required by the City.

On Jul 25, 1:01 pm, "Steven Munatones" <st...@pan-pacific-
> <mailto:openwater-racedirectors%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Steven Munatones

Jul 25, 2010, 7:40:38 PM7/25/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Keith,

Thank you and everyone very much for your input.

Standardization - while impossible across the 3,000+ open water swims around
the world in 158 countries - is something to consider - for some race
directors - when television and corporate interests make their interests
known at the competitive end of the spectrum.

Colin Hill of the Great Swims in Great Britain has created a standard
look-and-feel to the Great Swim events. The event signage, including logos
on turn buoys, looks great on television. He has standardized various parts
of his swims that did not exist 4 years ago - and now attract over 20,000
swimmers annually. But, as you suggest, what works for the Great Swims in
Great Britain may not work for swims elsewhere. They use wetsuits, they
start and finish onshore, they allow drafting, and they have numerous heats
that run throughout the day that athletes can select at their convenience.

But I am especially interested in why you believe safety craft are the most
unsafe part of your races. Is it the watercraft or is the pilots of those
boats? Do they speed close to the swimmers? Have they caused any harm - or
near misses - to your athletes? If this can be demonstrated, then the City
would truly be liable for accidents and injuries. If you can demonstrate
that safety is enhanced by kayaks - and get it confirmed or at least
supported by the U.S. Lifesaving Association - then perhaps you can increase
safety and lower costs? I can introduce you to the President of the USLA if
you wish and if you think his support can help increase safety and lower
costs.

Steven

Jul 26, 2010, 1:32:26 AM7/26/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com, twhit...@yahoo.com, do...@juno.com, sewfa...@aol.com, dbic...@urbancrest.org, Morty Berger, Marcia Cleveland

Bill,

For your race in very warm waters, perhaps you have 3 choices?

(1) The FINA Swimsuit list approved for pool swimming only (refer to http://www.fina.org/H2O/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=917&Itemid=461),

(2) The FINA Swimsuit List that includes both the swimsuits approved for both pool and open water swimming (see same list), or

(3) A more restrictive list that limits swimwear to some defined “workout swimsuit”.  That is, no male swimsuits are allowed other than those made from textile materials and which do not go below the top of the leg or above the navel (i.e., no jammers).  No female swimsuits are allowed other than those made from textile materials and which do not go below the top of the leg or past the shoulders.  The exact definition is up to you, but I encourage you to add photographs to your definition so questions are limited.  The general rule of thumb is “wear what you use in workout” and only one swim cap is allowed.

Steven Munatones

Ignacio Martinez Sela

Jul 26, 2010, 8:16:10 AM7/26/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Firstly I wanto to thank to Steven to create this exciting meeting place.

I agree that should standardize certain rules of our beloved sport. Still, if it is true that swimming in open water races no two alike. Therefore, an important premise is that what should serve to homogenize the best career development, but never assume an exclusionary factor for certain races.

I've been watching the elite races from long time, with its many different characteristics and I conclude that if it is very hard to predict a winner in a world championship or Olympics is mainly due to race conditions: venue, weather, tides, waves, etc.. So, unless the example of regularity each year of  Mr. Lurz, there is no global supremacy in this sport and that's something interesting (also occurs in triathlon).
About color / size or shape of the buoys, signs of the referees, etc, perhaps we can make some progress in this field, is not exclusive and a proposal for a recommendation at the global level, could provide an "international language of symbols" in the open water swimming.

In what I think yes we all agree is that, at this time of growth and development of this sport is the biggest key media coverage, television and advertising to ensure a stable future

PD. I´ve to confess my most sincere admiration for the phenomenon of the Great Swim Series, too. So Congratulations to Colin & all his team.

wvwe...@aol.com

Jul 26, 2010, 9:28:55 AM7/26/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com, twhit...@yahoo.com, do...@juno.com, sewfa...@aol.com, trbart...@juno.com
Steve,

Thanks for getting back to me on the suits.  I appreciate hearing about the various views and philosophies other race organizers have on suits.  I realize there is/will be a divergency of opinion of such things.  All swims will be unique as all venues are unique, the one common denominator we have is that we are swimming.

As you recognize since we are a warm water swim we dispense with wet suits (even if the water was cold I have a person bias against wet suits).  What I want is the minimalist approach in our Key West Swim.  I looked at the FINA sight you sent and saw the hundreds of names of suits allowed.  What I need is a paragraph that is clear, crisp, concise, specific and unambiguous that spells out our minimalist swim suit rule.

Nothing above the navel for men or extending to mid thigh.  Nothing covering the shoulder or extending to the mid thigh (for women). No unitard, neoprene suits will be allowed (something along this line). If you know of anyone who has spelled this out in their regulations I would like to read this.  I think the idea of showing photos on the web site has great merit.

We are a small race (planning on capping the 35th Annual (2011) at 150) and I prefer simple.  I can't see us incorporating different categories for different suits etc.

Thanks again Steve for your service to the swim community.

Sincerely,

Bill Welzien
Organizer

Keith Bell

Jul 26, 2010, 2:51:15 PM7/26/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com, twhit...@yahoo.com, do...@juno.com, sewfa...@aol.com, trbart...@juno.com
Bill,

I don't know if this helps, but our rules are as follows:

The swimmer may not use any device to artificially enhance performance during the
race.

Costume: A swimmer may wear only one suit. Swim suits shall not cover a man's body higher than the top of the pelvic bone or the belly button and shall not cover any part of the body below the top of the knee. Swim suits shall not cover a woman's body outside the shoulder-joints or above the shoulder-line and shall not cover the any part of the body below mid-thigh. The material of suits may consist only of cotton, lycra, nylon, polyester, and spandex. Any swimmer wishing to compete in a suit constructed of other materials must apply to ASA for permission in writing. If you have any doubt as to what suit you will be permitted to wear in this open water event, please check with the Race Director.

ea...@aol.com

Jul 26, 2010, 4:29:16 PM7/26/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com, twhit...@yahoo.com, do...@juno.com, sewfa...@aol.com, trbart...@juno.com
Hi,

This description of the proper costume is fine however, from a practical standpoint, there seems to be  no women's suits anymore that come to the thigh that are not made of a technical material.  The Aquablade was acceptable to most event but Speedo has discontinued it.  I am currently faced with a woman swimmer who has difficulties on long swim with a standard lycra rising up and under our current rules related to technical material has no suit alternative. Some swimmers have resorted to water polo suits, many are designed with buoyancy and anti-grab-type material.  It would be difficult for a swim official to make a legal determination by sight.

Any suggestions for a suit or otherwise would be appreciated.

Thank,
Liz Fry

Keith Bell

Jul 26, 2010, 4:52:15 PM7/26/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

The Money Box Cap 2k is the race in question.  It is a 2k (downhill) straightaway course.  We are contractually required to present a safety plan which City of Austin Parks and Recreation Aquatics and City of Austin Police must approve.  They won't tell us what they require until after we present the plan.  2010 was the 8th Annual.  So, although things change every year, we have a pretty good idea of what they will require.  I've been working with them to try to get them to establish some standards by which all event directors for swimming and for the swimming portion of triathlon races (which, of course are exceedingly different) can live.  We are making some progress.

This year we had a little over 200 participants.  Though the course is 2k, but a statistical analysis of last year's race shows that the widest spread (involving only the fastest and very slowest competitors) is very briefly about 1300m.  Most of the race the spread is less than 700 meters and, of course, temporally near the start and finish much less.

In 2010 in order to meet the City's requirements, we had the following stations: 13 lifeguards on 2-person kayaks with a separate person paddling.  2-lifeguards one on each of two police boats.  An EMT on one of the police boats.  4 other safety boats.  About 5 other kayaks.  The Police Dive Team on their boat.  And, a policeman on a PWC.

In 2009 I fought hard (and successfully) to get rid of 2 required Police-manned PWCs.  I don't want them on the course.  In 2010 the police insisted.  I balked.  I convinced Aquatics and they told the police they didn't want them.  The Police said we had to have them, but finally relented (sort of) to requiring one police-manned PWC to be stationed in the water at the shoreline with the PWC turned off unless needed for an emergency.

We have never had a drowning or injury (of any sort).  We have had one fairly minor medical issue in 9 years.  And, we have had a couple of swimmers opt out early in the race each year, asking for a ride to the finish because they didn't like how cold the water was (in spite of our warnings about acclimating to cold water [of course, the water really isn't very cold, averaging between 68 and 71 degrees throughout the years.)

For each year thus far, it probably would have been less expensive for me to hire a lifeguard for every swimmer.  We are at overkill.

Keep in mind that safety is a primary concern for me in putting on the race.  But it is my current opinion (while continuing to talk it out with safety professionals and others and keeping an open mind) that swimmers don't drown.  Deaths primarily occur in the water when people don't know how to swim (or are drunk or both), suffer severe injuries, or have medical issues/emergencies.  I think we need safety provisions (in our case) about 4 lifeguards/kayak stations, a couple of boats (one police boat to keep others off the course) to pick up swimmers that get tired, are cold, or have a medical emergency.

We ask people not to enter if they have not completed a mile swim under 45:00 minutes or have any doubt about their ability to swim the distance.  We ask people not to swim if they are not ready for the expected temperature range and, in any case, we ask them to adapt to cold water and refer them to Barton Springs Pool (usually 68 degrees) or Deep Eddy Pool (usually 59-67 degrees in the winter months and 68-72 in the summer) to get ready for the swim.

I think swimmers are safer in the water than people are walking on a sidewalk or making their way around their homes.  We don't get hurt if we fall while swimming.  (And, we require a gentle feet first slide into the water off of a dock for entry, do a in-the-water start and in-the-water finish.)  Do people die in the water?  Yes, even occasionally in a swimming practice or race.  But other than non-swimmers, people die because they hit their heads or get injured some other way or have a medical emergency.  And, people have medical emergencies in far more dangerous places than in the water (e.g. while driving, on stairwells, or crossing the streets), for which none of these does anyone provide lifeguards or safety craft.

I think PWCs have no business on an open water race course.  They are extremely dangerous and the cause of most boating accidents, injuries, and deaths.  Moreover, their fumes not only interfere with performance but are irritating and poisonous and can cause heart attacks.  The police tell me that if they have to use them they will be extremely careful and have well-trained operators.  I don't want anyone speeding through a race course on a PWC (even to rescue someone needing aid).  I think if they are speeding to someone's rescue, they are both likely to be too focused on the person they are heading for to be alert enough to avoid all swimmers and,even if they are not speeding through the course, the "well trained operator" is more likely to have a heart attack or other medical emergency while on the PWC than is the swimmer.  And, if they are not speeding to the rescue, a kayak supported lifeguard can get there just as quickly or more quickly, especially if properly spread out along the course.  Keep in mind, this is in a fairly narrow river, not a big, round lake or huge ocean.

People, every one of us die.  If we have enough open water races, there eventually will be fatalities.  But that is true everywhere people are, no matter what they are doing.   I don't think we can be liable for medical emergencies. And I think there is great hypocrisy in requiring us to have safety to cover medical emergencies when the City does not require it other more dangerous places.  But I do understand that people have irrational, maybe innate, fear of water.

Nevertheless, we carry $3,000,000. in insurance for the event.  We propose 8 lifeguards, 1 police boat, 4 other boats, additional kayakers an EMT and more.  That's an awful lot of lifeguards, an awful lot of safety crafts for 200 swimmers in a relatively small, highly visible race course, but that is nowhere near enough for the City.

I don't believe the more safety, the better.  Even disregarding my fatalistic opinions, as I mentioned, as a race director, my biggest concern is for the safety of the participants.  And, my biggest safety concern is the safety craft.  Water doesn't injure people. PWCs, boats, and even kayaks injure people, sometimes fatally.  Moreover, PWCs and boats, especially PWCS, and maybe even kayaks kill people: sometimes many people in one accident.

Okay, there is more to what I think about all this and a lot more about how City of Austin Aquatics and I are working together to try to best understand the issues and make swimming pools and natural bodies of water safe for people for swimming, recreation, open water races and triathlons.  But without a doubt, my biggest concern for safety in at least this open water race is the safety craft.

Keith

Keith Bell

Jul 26, 2010, 4:51:58 PM7/26/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com, twhit...@yahoo.com, do...@juno.com, sewfa...@aol.com, trbart...@juno.com
That's a very real issue.  Many swim suit manufacturers do make women's suits that end where the legs meet the pelvis.  To date, we have been able to make available suits to athletes who show up without suits that meet our rules.

Steven Munatones

Jul 26, 2010, 5:26:28 PM7/26/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com

Bill,

For your reference, the (English) Channel Swimming Association defines acceptable swimwear as follows:

You are restricted to a 'Standard' Swim Costume, A 'Standard Swim Costume' (for both sexes) shall be of a material not offering Thermal Protection or Buoyancy and shall be Sleeveless and Legless: 'Sleeveless' shall mean the Costume must not extend beyond the end of the shoulder onto the Upper Arm; 'Legless' shall mean the Costume must not extend onto the Upper Leg below the level of the Crotch.”

The (English) Channel Swimming & Piloting Federation defines acceptable swimwear as follows:

The swimmer may wear only one swimsuit in one or two pieces which shall not extend past the shoulder or below the knee.  All swimsuits shall be made from textile materials.  Caps may not be made from neoprene or any other material which offers similar heat retention properties (as determined by the CS&PF Committee).  Silicone or latex hats are permitted.”

Steven