standardization of the finish chute

Steven Munatones

Jul 25, 2010, 2:04:15 PM7/25/10
to Jay Thomas, Anna Rita Strydom, Greg Towle, Mark Perry, Bob Placak, Rick Walker, Marc Randell, Mark Gill, Mark McCaw, Morty Berger, Hannah Borgeson, Brent Imonen, Bill Wadley, Gerry Rodrigues, Chris LaBianco, Chip Carrigan, Dpetr...@aol.com, Fabian, John (Jack), Mel Goldstein, Beth Barnes, Igor de Souza, Johnson, Timothy, John Kinney, Jim Miller MD, Jason Moody, Kate Alexander, Keith Bell, Laura Colette, ned denison, Nancy S. Martin, Peter Mackay, Paul Newsome, Pierre Lafontaine, Sally & 'Charlie', Sid Cassidy, Shannon Gillespy, Vito Bialla, Bill Ireland, Mike Miller, William Schulz, Scott Richards, Zports Event Management, G. Michael Gobrecht, Ruth Rosano, Shelley Taylor-Smith, Philip Rush, openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Jay,

What is the optimal finish chute construction?

Steven

Jul 25, 2010, 2:36:31 PM7/25/10
to head...@10kswim.com, jayft...@comcast.net, gro...@acenet.co.za, Greg....@swimming.org.au, mark....@swimming.org, RCPAss...@placak.com, rwa...@siu.edu, mara...@theathletevillage.com, mark...@usms.org, Mm2...@comcast.net, mbe...@nycswim.org, hbor...@nycswim.org, br...@pacificrimsports.com, Wadl...@osu.edu, coach...@yahoo.com, clab...@yahoo.com, carr...@fuse.net, Dpetr...@aol.com, jfa...@keene.edu, goldst...@sbcglobal.net, gotwa...@yahoo.com, ig...@maratonaaquatica.com.br, john...@wit.edu, jkj...@verizon.net, jason...@powerhousetiming.com, kate...@candw.ky, kb...@austin.rr.com, laura....@gmail.com, ned.d...@corkopenwater.com, nsms...@aol.com, pma...@global.ky, swims...@me.com, plafo...@swimming.ca, sinko...@jerseymail.co.uk, Sid.C...@saintandrewsschool.net, gill...@verizon.net, vi...@bialla.com, wire...@hbblaw.com, winea...@yahoo.com, pennochc...@hotmail.com, yes...@roadrunner.com, mic...@zports.co.za, mi...@wsyswim.org, rro...@swimming.ca, cham...@championmindset.com.au, Phi...@swimmingnz.org.nz, openwater-r...@googlegroups.com

Hi Steve,

I think that we should take the next step and standardize the colors of course buoys while we are at it - i.e. orange for course buoys that you have to honor and yellow for marking buoys.  White buoys do not work since they are so affected by light.  So, if the entry of the chute is mandatory, it would be marked by orange.  If a warning buoy is present showing that a turn is coming it would be yellow, since there are no restrictions surrounding this marker.  If another color is needed, consider neon green, which interestingly I do not ever recall seeing.

Jim

Jay Thomas

Jul 25, 2010, 2:54:31 PM7/25/10
to Steven Munatones, Anna Rita Strydom, Greg Towle, Mark Perry, Bob Placak, Rick Walker, Marc Randell, Mark Gill, Mark McCaw, Morty Berger, Hannah Borgeson, Brent Imonen, Bill Wadley, Gerry Rodrigues, Chris LaBianco, Chip Carrigan, Dpetr...@aol.com, Fabian, John (Jack), Mel Goldstein, Beth Barnes, Igor de Souza, Johnson, Timothy, John Kinney, Jim Miller MD, Jason Moody, Kate Alexander, Keith Bell, Laura Colette, ned denison, Nancy S. Martin, Peter Mackay, Paul Newsome, Pierre Lafontaine, Sally & 'Charlie', Sid Cassidy, Shannon Gillespy, Vito Bialla, Bill Ireland, Mike Miller, William Schulz, Scott Richards, Zports Event Management, G. Michael Gobrecht, Ruth Rosano, Shelley Taylor-Smith, Philip Rush, openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

For an in water finish the rules say the touch plate shall be at least 5m
wide. I think that is good wording in that it gives the host flexibility to
build something larger if that is needed and they want to spend the money.

I think the chute "lane" should be minimum of 25y (or 25m) whatever is
available. 50m lines can cause problems with wind and/or currents...but
there are some situations that they could work. I think the opening to the
chute should be somewhat less than the length of the chute lines. For 25y
long - maybe 20 y wide. For 50y long maybe 35-40y wide. As you know it is
going to depend on the what the finish area looks like. The idea is that
the chute bet there to "collect" swimmers and funnel them to the finish
structure. I haven't actually ever measured it.....I sort of use the TLAR
method - That Looks About Right. I know when it is too skinny and or too
fat.

Another thing I think that should be required is that the finish touch plate
must be perpendicular to the direct course line from the last turn buoy to
the finish. That requirement needs to also apply to the start line. That
way there is no favored end to either the start or finish.

Jay

John Kinney

Jul 25, 2010, 4:21:36 PM7/25/10
to JWMS...@aol.com, head...@10kswim.com, jayft...@comcast.net, gro...@acenet.co.za, Greg....@swimming.org.au, mark....@swimming.org, RCPAss...@placak.com, rwa...@siu.edu, mara...@theathletevillage.com, mark...@usms.org, Mm2...@comcast.net, mbe...@nycswim.org, hbor...@nycswim.org, br...@pacificrimsports.com, Wadl...@osu.edu, coach...@yahoo.com, clab...@yahoo.com, carr...@fuse.net, Dpetr...@aol.com, jfa...@keene.edu, goldst...@sbcglobal.net, gotwa...@yahoo.com, ig...@maratonaaquatica.com.br, john...@wit.edu, jason...@powerhousetiming.com, kate...@candw.ky, kb...@austin.rr.com, laura....@gmail.com, ned.d...@corkopenwater.com, nsms...@aol.com, pma...@global.ky, swims...@me.com, plafo...@swimming.ca, sinko...@jerseymail.co.uk, Sid.C...@saintandrewsschool.net, gill...@verizon.net, vi...@bialla.com, wire...@hbblaw.com, winea...@yahoo.com, pennochc...@hotmail.com, yes...@roadrunner.com, mic...@zports.co.za, mi...@wsyswim.org, rro...@swimming.ca, cham...@championmindset.com.au, Phi...@swimmingnz.org.nz, openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Jay et al: I thought crossed my mind relative to your proposal of making the chute a mandatory path to the finish. Other than safety, I cannot see a major issue. The only thing that I envision is to reach the finish first and safely without interferring with the other competitors. Am I missing something? Thanks, John Kinney

Dpetr...@aol.com

Jul 25, 2010, 5:11:52 PM7/25/10
to jkj...@verizon.net, JWMS...@aol.com, head...@10kswim.com, jayft...@comcast.net, gro...@acenet.co.za, Greg....@swimming.org.au, mark....@swimming.org, RCPAss...@placak.com, rwa...@siu.edu, mara...@theathletevillage.com, mark...@usms.org, Mm2...@comcast.net, mbe...@nycswim.org, hbor...@nycswim.org, br...@pacificrimsports.com, Wadl...@osu.edu, coach...@yahoo.com, clab...@yahoo.com, carr...@fuse.net, jfa...@keene.edu, goldst...@sbcglobal.net, gotwa...@yahoo.com, ig...@maratonaaquatica.com.br, john...@wit.edu, jason...@powerhousetiming.com, kate...@candw.ky, kb...@austin.rr.com, laura....@gmail.com, ned.d...@corkopenwater.com, nsms...@aol.com, pma...@global.ky, swims...@me.com, plafo...@swimming.ca, sinko...@jerseymail.co.uk, Sid.C...@saintandrewsschool.net, gill...@verizon.net, vi...@bialla.com, wire...@hbblaw.com, winea...@yahoo.com, pennochc...@hotmail.com, yes...@roadrunner.com, mic...@zports.co.za, mi...@wsyswim.org, rro...@swimming.ca, cham...@championmindset.com.au, Phi...@swimmingnz.org.nz, openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
There are so many considerations that I'll just provide a series of one liners.

1.  The term is "Open water," which indicates that there will always be differences in the course. Even in a defined rectangular course, water temps and wind direction and force will prevent standardization of the course.

1a. Especially in the 25K, please let's not insist on a lap swim. If we must revert to an escorted swim, lets do it. If a lap swim race is elected, please let make them longer laps, the longer the better. But if shorter laps are required, like  for the race in Hyde Park, so be it. To me one of the advantages of Open Water is that there is no standard course and swimmers have to adjust to the conditions. I have often commented that what I liked about OWS was that the best swimmers may not always win.

2. For World Championships and Olympics events, I think advance notification (Perhaps at the same time to bid to host the event is submitted) of the course and other physical  factors should be sufficient. As an aside I can remember when the TOWSC was discussing the issue of Minimum Water Temperatures, I pointed out that the figure presented by the British representative would mean that  that country would probably be unable  to bid to host any Open Water Championship

3. Jay Thomas' comments on the finish area seem sensible and could be standardized by FINA Rules. But we do not need and elaborate expensive finish area. Just one that gets the job done effectively. To repeat a suggestion that I have made several time... Lets modify a water polo goal.. Wire it properly with cameras and other timing instruments and we are in business. But we should standardize what will be required at the finish.

Enough said for now

Dale Petranech

Johnson, Timothy

Jul 25, 2010, 10:11:12 PM7/25/10
to Dpetr...@aol.com, jkj...@verizon.net, JWMS...@aol.com, head...@10kswim.com, jayft...@comcast.net, gro...@acenet.co.za, Greg....@swimming.org.au, mark....@swimming.org, RCPAss...@placak.com, rwa...@siu.edu, mara...@theathletevillage.com, mark...@usms.org, Mm2...@comcast.net, mbe...@nycswim.org, hbor...@nycswim.org, br...@pacificrimsports.com, Wadl...@osu.edu, coach...@yahoo.com, clab...@yahoo.com, carr...@fuse.net, jfa...@keene.edu, goldst...@sbcglobal.net, gotwa...@yahoo.com, ig...@maratonaaquatica.com.br, jason...@powerhousetiming.com, kate...@candw.ky, kb...@austin.rr.com, laura....@gmail.com, ned.d...@corkopenwater.com, nsms...@aol.com, pma...@global.ky, swims...@me.com, plafo...@swimming.ca, sinko...@jerseymail.co.uk, Sid.C...@saintandrewsschool.net, gill...@verizon.net, vi...@bialla.com, wire...@hbblaw.com, winea...@yahoo.com, pennochc...@hotmail.com, yes...@roadrunner.com, mic...@zports.co.za, mi...@wsyswim.org, rro...@swimming.ca, cham...@championmindset.com.au, Phi...@swimmingnz.org.nz, openwater-r...@googlegroups.com

Everyone,

I just came back from Lac St. Jean in Canada.  I only went to one race because I was bored to tears.  I have some suggestions:

1.       Change all race distances to one lap because if everyone is just pacing until the last lap, who cares how many they did prior to the last one.

2.       In lieu of suggestion #1, use the model from biking time trials and send each swimmer off at set intervals; slowest first and fastest last.

3.       Suggestion #2 will also eliminate injuries and other issues at turns.

4.       Ask Speedo to design a cap that will prominently display the swimmer’s number when the swimmer is in the prone position.  This would possibly involve a semi-rigid structure like a rooster comb.  (oh, you laugh…but the father next to me had no idea where is daughter was in the course, I asked for the number and using the only pair of marine binocular in the entire stands, I could tell him where his daughter was but the bobbing of the head made identification difficult).

5.       In lieu of suggestion #4, install RFID markers in the swimmer caps, have readers at each turn buoy, wireless connect the turn buoys readers to a receiver unit on shore connected to a computer, wirelessly connected to several LARGE display monitors that would show each swimmer progress thru the course easily visible to observers in the stands without binocular.  The video portion of this event broadcast could also be sent over video channels so families can bring their portable computers and connect via a URL.

6.       Manhattan Island Foundation current uses GPS technology to track swimmers progress around Manhattan and post the URL on their website.  This technology makes possible timing of swims from a remote location.  This would eliminate the hand touch at the finish.

7.       With one decent camera, a new computer with video imaging capability and a large screen monitor, it’s very easy and inexpensive (except for the monitor—which could be rented) to broadcast an event locally.

8.       Contact the NFL (or NHL) and get the people that put the magic yellow line on the screen showing the placement of the football to superimpose swimmer names and numbers on a LIVE video shot.  They were doing this in this year’s Tour de France to show lead bikers position in the peloton.

9.       Vendor should sell inflatable seat cushions.  I must have been surrounded by professional bench sitters because they has some nice equipment.

10.   You have to get rid of the gasoline engines and switch over to electric motors or buy new Yamaha 4-stroke engines.  I’m in the stand and I could smell the fumes.

Just some suggestions to help the discussion along.  I’ve previously been involved in swims on the water so when I had to go watch one, geez was it boring.  I’ve never had to think about the spectators viewpoint before.  If the sport is to grow, we’re going to have to.

Levity moment: For some reason at Lac St. Jean, all announcements were made in the French language and they put gravy on their French fries.  I’m also developing a formula that will serve as a guide to the probability of a health inspector visiting a local restaurant showing that it is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the provincial capital.

Prof. Tim Johnson, PE, Cap'n

Dobbs Rm #218

Department of Electronics and Mechanical

Wentworth Institute of Technology

550 Huntington Ave.

Boston, MA 02115

Tel: 617-989-4128

Fax: 617-989-4591

website: http://myweb.wit.edu/johnsont

Morty Berger (mberger@nycswim.org)

Jul 26, 2010, 7:27:45 AM7/26/10
to Johnson, Timothy, Dpetr...@aol.com, jkj...@verizon.net, JWMS...@aol.com, head...@10kswim.com, jayft...@comcast.net, gro...@acenet.co.za, Greg....@swimming.org.au, mark....@swimming.org, RCPAss...@placak.com, rwa...@siu.edu, mara...@theathletevillage.com, mark...@usms.org, Mm2...@comcast.net, Hannah Borgeson, br...@pacificrimsports.com, Wadl...@osu.edu, coach...@yahoo.com, clab...@yahoo.com, carr...@fuse.net, jfa...@keene.edu, goldst...@sbcglobal.net, gotwa...@yahoo.com, ig...@maratonaaquatica.com.br, jason...@powerhousetiming.com, kate...@candw.ky, kb...@austin.rr.com, laura....@gmail.com, Ned Denison, nsms...@aol.com, pma...@global.ky, swims...@me.com, plafo...@swimming.ca, sinko...@jerseymail.co.uk, Sid.C...@saintandrewsschool.net, gill...@verizon.net, vi...@bialla.com, wire...@hbblaw.com, winea...@yahoo.com, pennochc...@hotmail.com, yes...@roadrunner.com, mic...@zports.co.za, mi...@wsyswim.org, rro...@swimming.ca, cham...@championmindset.com.au, Phi...@swimmingnz.org.nz, openwater-r...@googlegroups.com

Since I was called out in Tim’s email ---

GPS technology is great for improving the spectator experience – especially for those who cannot get to the event. However, it must be noted that GPS cannot be used for scoring purposes as the positioning is not exact and environmental conditions (buildings, cloud cover etc) will impact and limit performance.

Additionally, GPS devices, in their current forms, cannot be attached to the athlete during the competition. Even if they could attach to the athlete, they are not, and never will be, for scoring purposes, as accurate as the RFID and camera combo solutions out currently.

One day – my hope is that there will be devices that are lightweight, FLEXIBLE, small, have long battery lives, can easily attached to each of a participant’s wrists (for touch pads) and goggle strap on the back of the head so information can be sent, that is enabled for RFID (no battery required), GPS (battery required) and SMS/Cell phone (battery required – needed to GPS transport positions and RFID trips). The event directors will also have to create multiple water-based RFID gates to trip the RFID – which alone, their implementation will make the recent discussion regarding race marks like child’s play.

GPS alone will never remove the need for hand touches at the finish and as the technology makes its way into open water swimming, I would counsel race directors to turn off the data going to the public 3 or 4 minutes prior to the end of the events – as the information that the GPS dedicated devices provide will give the spectators inaccurate readings of who won the races.

-m

Btw, we go by NYC Swim and not the Manhattan Island Foundation anymore.

Morty Berger

Founder, NYC Swim

42 West 24th Street, Second Floor

New York, New York 10010

Phone: 212 873-0272

Fax: 212 784-6850

NYCheartSwim

Steven Munatones

Jul 26, 2010, 11:31:53 AM7/26/10
to Morty Berger, Johnson, Timothy, Dpetr...@aol.com, jkj...@verizon.net, JWMS...@aol.com, jayft...@comcast.net, gro...@acenet.co.za, Greg....@swimming.org.au, mark....@swimming.org, RCPAss...@placak.com, rwa...@siu.edu, mara...@theathletevillage.com, mark...@usms.org, Mm2...@comcast.net, Hannah Borgeson, br...@pacificrimsports.com, Wadl...@osu.edu, coach...@yahoo.com, clab...@yahoo.com, carr...@fuse.net, goldst...@sbcglobal.net, gotwa...@yahoo.com, ig...@maratonaaquatica.com.br, jason...@powerhousetiming.com, kate...@candw.ky, kb...@austin.rr.com, laura....@gmail.com, Ned Denison, nsms...@aol.com, pma...@global.ky, swims...@me.com, plafo...@swimming.ca, sinko...@jerseymail.co.uk, Sid.C...@saintandrewsschool.net, gill...@verizon.net, vi...@bialla.com, wire...@hbblaw.com, winea...@yahoo.com, pennochc...@hotmail.com, yes...@roadrunner.com, mic...@zports.co.za, mi...@wsyswim.org, rro...@swimming.ca, Phi...@swimmingnz.org.nz, openwater-r...@googlegroups.com, R. Russell Meyer, Shelley Taylor-Smith, Fabian, John (Jack), Penny Dean

Morty,

I understand that the 2012 London Olympics 10K marathon swim course may attack the problem of locating/distinguishing athletes in an open water course from a different use of technology.  The course in the Serpentine will be ringed by floating buoys with transmitters that will triangulate each swimmer’s position via GPS and transponders on the athletes’ wrists.  As each swimmer passes the buoy, their position and time will be noted and posted in near real-time online for the global audience.

I know we will learn a lot by what Sam Greetham and his British colleagues are developing for the Olympic 10K course in 2012.  I believe they will roll-out  this innovative tracking during the test event in 2011.

Tim,

I understand your lack of interest in a loop course.  On the other hand, among elite athletes – just like in the Tour de France or track events ranging between 800m – 5000m, there is great importance assigned to positioning within a pack.  This strategic positioning may not necessarily appeal to American sports fans, but the subtleties of positioning are not lost on the athletes and coaches at the fastest echelon of the sport.  So while some may observe a pack of swimming “just drafting off one another ”, others see athletes moving into various positions due to the strengths, weaknesses, tendencies and primary breathing side of their competitors.  Some may see athletes “comfortably pacing around an easy-to-navigate course” while others see athletes doing short bursts of speed to gain advantages around turn buoys and feeding stations.  A study of the split times – and the differences between male and female packs – are interesting and illustrative to those who study such minutiae of the sport.

Also, lest people in the open water swimming world think that the marathon swimmers who compete in simple rectangular courses have lower navigational IQ’s than experienced ocean swimmers who take into account water temperatures, tides, currents, swells and surface chop in the open water, it has been my observation that these elite swimmers swim extraordinarily straight and remain quite streamlined even in turbulent conditions.  It has been my observation that these elite swimmers generally sight every 15-20 strokes and nearly always swim along the optimal tangents in no matter salt/fresh/rough/smooth/cold/water-water course they are navigating.

When I observe the best open water swimmers across generations (e.g., Greta Andersen in the 1950s, John Kinsella in the 1970s, Paul Asmuth in the 1980s, Shelley Taylor-Smith in the 1990s), they swim remarkably similarly to the best athletes of today.  That is, when I see 2010 world 5K champion Eva Fabian swim, I recognize Penny Dean breaking the English Channel record in 1978.  When I see Thomas Lurz win another world championship, it reminds me of John Kinsella in the 1970s dominating the pro circuit.

In a cursory view of the approved swimsuits for FINA, it appears that Speedo does not make/sell any open water-specific swimsuits.  It is my guess Speedo is not motivated to design or produce any open water-specific products.

Steven Munatones

image001.gif

Shannon Gillespy

Jul 26, 2010, 2:12:36 PM7/26/10
to Johnson, Timothy, <Dpetranech@aol.com>, <jkjkjk@verizon.net>, <JWMSwimMD@aol.com>, <headcoach@10Kswim.com>, <jayfthomas@comcast.net>, <grotto@acenet.co.za>, <Greg.Towle@swimming.org.au>, <mark.perry@swimming.org>, <RCPAssociates@placak.com>, <rwalker@siu.edu>, <marandell@theathletevillage.com>, <mark.gill@usms.org>, <Mm2886@comcast.net>, <mberger@nycswim.org>, <hborgeson@nycswim.org>, <brent@pacificrimsports.com>, <Wadley.1@osu.edu>, <coachgerry@yahoo.com>, <clabianco@yahoo.com>, <carrigan@fuse.net>, <jfabian@keene.edu>, <goldsteinmel@sbcglobal.net>, <gotwaveslb@yahoo.com>, <igor@maratonaaquatica.com.br>, <jason.moody@powerhousetiming.com>, <katealex@candw.ky>, <kbell@austin.rr.com>, <laura.colette@gmail.com>, <ned.denison@corkopenwater.com>, <nsmswims@aol.com>, <pmackay@global.ky>, <swimsmooth@me.com>, <plafontaine@swimming.ca>, <sinkorswim@jerseymail.co.uk>, <Sid.Cassidy@saintandrewsschool.net>, <vitob@bialla.com>, <wireland@hbblaw.com>, <wineartist@yahoo.com>, <pennochchallenge@hotmail.com>, <yesdoc@roadrunner.com>, <michael@zports.co.za>, <mike@wsyswim.org>, <rrosano@swimming.ca>, <champion@championmindset.com.au>, <Philip@swimmingnz.org.nz>, <openwater-racedirectors@googlegroups.com>
Ok just checking but rrreeeaaalllyy who are you??

Sent from my iPhone

Laura Colette

Jul 26, 2010, 4:14:55 PM7/26/10
to Johnson, Timothy, Dpetr...@aol.com, jkj...@verizon.net, JWMS...@aol.com, head...@10kswim.com, jayft...@comcast.net, gro...@acenet.co.za, Greg....@swimming.org.au, mark....@swimming.org, RCPAss...@placak.com, rwa...@siu.edu, mara...@theathletevillage.com, mark...@usms.org, Mm2...@comcast.net, mbe...@nycswim.org, hbor...@nycswim.org, br...@pacificrimsports.com, Wadl...@osu.edu, coach...@yahoo.com, clab...@yahoo.com, carr...@fuse.net, jfa...@keene.edu, goldst...@sbcglobal.net, gotwa...@yahoo.com, ig...@maratonaaquatica.com.br, jason...@powerhousetiming.com, kate...@candw.ky, kb...@austin.rr.com, ned.d...@corkopenwater.com, nsms...@aol.com, pma...@global.ky, swims...@me.com, plafo...@swimming.ca, sinko...@jerseymail.co.uk, Sid.C...@saintandrewsschool.net, gill...@verizon.net, vi...@bialla.com, wire...@hbblaw.com, winea...@yahoo.com, pennochc...@hotmail.com, yes...@roadrunner.com, mic...@zports.co.za, mi...@wsyswim.org, rro...@swimming.ca, cham...@championmindset.com.au, Phi...@swimmingnz.org.nz, openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
Back to what Jim said about organizing course buoys, many teams/local area swim organizations already own their buoys and I don't see a lot of them paying money to get a 'standardized buoy' in this economy.  Maybe if the governing organizations want to buy them for specific events, i.e. elite or pro races, then rent them out it makes more sense.

What I would love is a rule that says if the buoys are say red and orange, none of the caps given to waves of swimmers can be that color.  I have found myself sighting on an 'orange buoy', only to find out that it really is a person from a wave in front of me... that is disheartening...

Also, Timothy the concept of a 'time trial' approach is kind of contrary to 'open water swim races.'  There is a reason that they have been likened to the Nascar of the swimming world, part of it is the the strategy, the line and the contest between everyone in the group.  If you want to do a solo marathon swim, that is done more like a time trial...

Someone mentioned having buoys at the half way point, many race course maps have a distance marked from start to buoy #1, to buoy #2, etc... That appears to work much better and more people do look at that map prior to swimming and at the pre-race meeting.  I'm also not into just square courses, there is more fun in the variety and also due to conditions some courses have to be adjusted on race day due to winds, etc.  I have seen a number of squarish courses become out and backs because it was safer on the day.  The cool thing about open water racing is the variety and the fact that even the same course in different years changes.

If we are looking at standardizing 'pre-race' meetings, I would also like to see much of the 'If you don't feel up to it, don't get in. If you get into trouble, raise a hand...' safety talk standardized also just so the big cautions are always addressed and I know I'm talking more about the smaller races, not the elite races.  That is where the danger is most prevalent.

I agree with Morty, the GPS made it at Manhattan great for those of us watching but I'm not sure it is accurate enough for general use.  I also agree that the final touch plates and lines (on ground exit) judging could be made more accurate and that should be worked on.  At Master's Worlds 2004 and 2006, there just judges deciding the finish.  A photo finish would help a lot, I'm concerned about the wrist bands because I wouldn't want to be thinking about 'am I going to finish with the correct hand' in that final stretch, but two wrist bands (same frequency and on each wrist would help that issue) and should be thought about.

I'm still making my way through this thread, but as a swimmer, I am more inclined to follow Ron's caution about not totally sanitizing the sport.  That is what we love about it and most of us are not elite swimmers....

More later,
Laura Colette

Johnson, Timothy

Ignacio Martinez Sela

Jul 28, 2010, 1:06:58 AM7/28/10
to openwater-r...@googlegroups.com
My opinion on this matter is close to that of Jonh and Dale. Without any doubt, all the considerations made by Jay are important and interesting, but I insist on the idea that, knowing many races, it is very difficult to establish universal standards for everything related to Open Water competitions

Two extreme example: imagine a career in the mid-Atlantic and over the canals of Venice.Really necessary infrastructure or buoys would be comparable?
The first aspect that should be standardized, in general, at least for the elite racing is the calendar.
I think, without no aim to create any controversy, which suppress the World Championships open water specific for integration in the global swimming with other specialties it is a correct decision. Based on a unified calendar, perhaps the standardization that is discussed would be required to this elite calendar and only recommended for other less formal competitions. Having no financial sources it is easier for non-professional careers.

In Navia races we have practiced up to 15 kms. circuit, about 5 turns of 3 kms. each. In addition to more boring for the swimmers, in the midst of the enormous effort they can lose track of their remaining laps to go. Instead, it must be said that a short circuit is more accessible and attractive to the viewer out of the water.

I love reading all your opinions.

Regards