owcc doesn't understand unix directory separators?

1 view

Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson

Apr 14, 2018, 4:56:44 AM4/14/18
Hi all,

I've been trying to use owcc to port a complex application, specifically
OpenSSL, to OS/2; yes I know OpenSSL is already ported with the EMX runtime.

One of the problems I'm dealing with is adjusting the makefiles and it
seems easiest to use owcc rather than wcc386 for the compilation steps.
Yet, owcc doesn't seem to understand / as a directory separator.

An example command line, from the makefile is

owcc -o tmp/cryptlib.o -c ./crypto/cryptlib.c

where I've removed all the "cruft." Is it possible to make owcc
understand / as a directory separator under OS/2?

Assuming I need to build my own owcc for this, what are my first steps?

--
Johann | email: invalid -> com | www.myrkraverk.com/blog/
I'm not from the Internet, I just work there. | twitter: @myrkraverk

Dave Yeo

Apr 14, 2018, 1:23:08 PM4/14/18
On 04/14/18 01:56 AM, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to use owcc to port a complex application, specifically
> OpenSSL, to OS/2; yes I know OpenSSL is already ported with the EMX
> runtime.
>
> One of the problems I'm dealing with is adjusting the makefiles and it
> seems easiest to use owcc rather than wcc386 for the compilation steps.
> Yet, owcc doesn't seem to understand / as a directory separator.
>
> An example command line, from the makefile is
>
> owcc -o tmp/cryptlib.o -c ./crypto/cryptlib.c
>
> where I've removed all the "cruft." Is it possible to make owcc
> understand / as a directory separator under OS/2?
>
> Assuming I need to build my own owcc for this, what are my first steps?

I ran into the same problems, kind of depressing as OS/2 mostly accepts
/ as a directory separator and as far as I know posix requires using /
It's quite possible to use configure to build a lot of projects with
owcc excepting building DLLs simply by setting up the right environment
such as
CC=owcc.exe
LD=owcc.exe
AR=emxomfar.exe
RANLIB=echo
Dave

Hans-Bernhard Bröker

Apr 14, 2018, 2:08:58 PM4/14/18
to Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson
Am 14.04.2018 um 10:56 schrieb Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson:

> One of the problems I'm dealing with is adjusting the makefiles and it
> seems easiest to use owcc rather than wcc386 for the compilation steps.
> Yet, owcc doesn't seem to understand / as a directory separator.

owcc still has to respect some of the host operating system's
conventions. In the Microsoft world, that means / is still an option
character, and paths are given as with '\'.

> where I've removed all the "cruft."  Is it possible to make owcc
> understand / as a directory separator under OS/2?

Everything's "possible". It's all just software, after all.

> Assuming I need to build my own owcc for this, what are my first steps?

I'd start by getting the sources, then taking a real hard look at
bld\cc\wcl\c\owcc.c.

Paul S. Person

Apr 15, 2018, 1:07:39 PM4/15/18
On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 16:56:41 +0800, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson
<joh...@myrkraverk.invalid> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've been trying to use owcc to port a complex application, specifically
>OpenSSL, to OS/2; yes I know OpenSSL is already ported with the EMX runtime.
>
>One of the problems I'm dealing with is adjusting the makefiles and it
>seems easiest to use owcc rather than wcc386 for the compilation steps.
>Yet, owcc doesn't seem to understand / as a directory separator.
>
>An example command line, from the makefile is
>
> owcc -o tmp/cryptlib.o -c ./crypto/cryptlib.c
>
>where I've removed all the "cruft." Is it possible to make owcc
>understand / as a directory separator under OS/2?
>
>Assuming I need to build my own owcc for this, what are my first steps?

I thought this had been fixed, but perhaps that was only for Linux.

Are you certain there aren't compiler/linker options that affect this?
--
"Nature must be explained in
her own terms through

Frank Beythien

Apr 15, 2018, 1:28:45 PM4/15/18
Am 15.04.2018 um 19:07 schrieb Paul S. Person:
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 16:56:41 +0800, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson
> <joh...@myrkraverk.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been trying to use owcc to port a complex application, specifically
>> OpenSSL, to OS/2; yes I know OpenSSL is already ported with the EMX runtime.
>>
>> One of the problems I'm dealing with is adjusting the makefiles and it
>> seems easiest to use owcc rather than wcc386 for the compilation steps.
>> Yet, owcc doesn't seem to understand / as a directory separator.
>>
>> An example command line, from the makefile is
>>
>> owcc -o tmp/cryptlib.o -c ./crypto/cryptlib.c
>>
>> where I've removed all the "cruft." Is it possible to make owcc
>> understand / as a directory separator under OS/2?
>>
>> Assuming I need to build my own owcc for this, what are my first steps?
>
> I thought this had been fixed, but perhaps that was only for Linux.

No, owcc for OS/2 and probably winxx does not work with forward slashes.

> Are you certain there aren't compiler/linker options that affect this?

That wouldn't help, as owcc tries to resolve the names.
I'm looking into it.

CU
Frank

Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson

Apr 16, 2018, 8:35:56 AM4/16/18
Thank you. Using owcc turned out to be a red herring; I found a way to
change the forward slashes into backslashes.

My success, so far, is covered here:

http://www.myrkraverk.com/blog/2018/04/building-openssl-with-openwatcom-on-arcaos-the-initial-hurdles/

Frank Beythien

Apr 16, 2018, 9:12:27 AM4/16/18
Am 16.04.2018 um 14:35 schrieb Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson:
> Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:
>> Am 14.04.2018 um 10:56 schrieb Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson:
>>
>>> Assuming I need to build my own owcc for this, what are my first steps?
>>
>> I'd start by getting the sources, then taking a real hard look at
>> bld\cc\wcl\c\owcc.c.
>
> Thank you. Using owcc turned out to be a red herring; I found a way to
> change the forward slashes into backslashes.
>
> My success, so far, is covered here:
>
> http://www.myrkraverk.com/blog/2018/04/building-openssl-with-openwatcom-on-arcaos-the-initial-hurdles/

The changes for owcc forwardslashes to backslashes and removing the ./
(current directory) construct are submitted. My next builder server run
will have the changes tonight:

https://efbe.musca.uberspace.de

CU/2
Frank