What is the difference between the various interrupt functions?

Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson

Oct 10, 2019, 11:54:02 AM10/10/19
Dear o.u.c_cpp,

OpenWatcom has several different interrupt routines, namely

int386
int386x
int86
int86x
intdos
intdosx
intr
intrf

and others. The C Library Reference doesn't include any hint on when I
should choose one function over another.

So far I've just used intr() because it's the first one I came across.
Is it any better to use int386() or int386x() in protected mode
applications?

If context matters, then for now I'm mostly interested in the int 33
mouse functions.

[Copied but not cross posted to the c.o.m.programmer newsgroup, because
I'm using different NNTP servers.]

--
Johann | email: invalid -> com | www.myrkraverk.com/blog/
I'm not from the Internet, I just work there. | twitter: @myrkraverk

Steven Levine

Oct 12, 2019, 2:15:09 PM10/12/19
On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 15:53:57 UTC, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson
<joh...@myrkraverk.invalid> wrote:

Hi Johann,

> OpenWatcom has several different interrupt routines, namely
> int386
> int386x
> int86
> int86x
> intdos
> intdosx
> intr
> intrf
>
> and others. The C Library Reference doesn't include any hint on when I
> should choose one function over another.

You need to choose the one that matches the bitness of the interrupt
function you are calling. For 16-bit code, use the intdos*()
function. For 32-bit code, use the int386*() functions.

intr() defines the parameters so that it can be used for either 16 or
32-bit routines.

I'm not familiar with intrf(). Perhaps it's something Jiri invented
or it is Fortran specific. I can't tell from what I can see.

> If context matters, then for now I'm mostly interested in the int 33
> mouse functions.

My memory says these are all 16-bit functions.

Steven

Steven Levine <ste...@earthlink.bogus.net>
DIY/ArcaOS/Warp etc. www.scoug.com www.arcanoae.com www.warpcave.com