Wiki internal links are broken

Jiri Malak

May 27, 2019, 5:21:47 AM5/27/19

I found out that all wiki internal links are broken.
It is probably cased by changing WEB server instance name to
wiki.openwatcom.org but wiki links rely on www.openwatcom.org
It is necessary relink all wiki internal links to point to proper WEB
server instance name.

Jiri

Marty Stanquist

May 28, 2019, 1:09:55 PM5/28/19
"Jiri Malak" wrote in message news:qcg6kr$sv4$1...@www.openwatcom.org...
I'm able to navigate through the Wiki normally using IE, Edge, Chrome,
Firefox and Opera on Windows 10. These are the browsers and OS that I test
the website on. Would you be able to provide an example, also noting the
browser and OS you're having the trouble with?

Marty

Paul S Person

May 28, 2019, 1:37:26 PM5/28/19
I took a look and it is indeed so.

But I don't have time to correct them all (ie, taking the time would
seriously detract from finishing wgml). And the Wiki is in test
status.

Also, I have been accumulating notes since the disaster in a local
file, which I originally intended to integrate into the Wiki, but
which is also far too large. .

I don't suppose it would be possible to do something like a "search
and replace" to correct this? These references are text in edit mode,
after all.

If you are trying to understand why something in the wgml code behaves
the way it does, ask and I will try to explain it. In most cases,
especially the very odd ones, the answer will be "that is what wgml
4.0 does".

On Mon, 27 May 2019 11:21:43 +0200, Jiri Malak <malak...@gmail.com>
wrote:
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Paul S Person

May 29, 2019, 1:25:08 PM5/29/19
1. Go to http://wiki.openwatcom.org/index.php/Wgml
Note appearance of "wiki" in the URL. This is not an internal link.

2. Find the entry "3.2 Notes on Terms" and to there. Note that the URL
http://wiki.openwatcom.org/index.php/Wgml#Notes_on_Terms
also has "wiki" in it. This is also not an internal link.

3. At the bottom of the section, note the text "member files". Note
the HTTP error 404 you get when you click on it. The URL is
cindex.php/Binary_Device_Files#Device_Library_Member_Files
Note the use of "www" in it. This /is/ an internal link.

Further checking suggests that internal links to full pages also use
"wiki" rather than "www" and so work. Only those to sections within
pages (those with "#" after the page name) have this problem.

There are a lot of these lying about, I believe. It is possible that I
set the internal links up badly; it has been so long that I really
don't remember. Searching for them manually would take up a lot of
time better devoted (IMHO) to wgml itself. The wiki's "search" box is
ineffective: the search is far to inelligent to actually find all
instances of, say "[http://wiki.openwatcom.org/, but has no trouble at
all finding many partial (and so irrelevant) matches. Typical.

Paul

Marty Stanquist

May 30, 2019, 12:05:03 PM5/30/19
"Paul S Person" wrote in message
Thanks,

I found one also when working with the license renewal:

http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/Open_Watcom_Public_License (fails)

http://wiki.openwatcom.org/index.php/Open_Watcom_Public_License (works)

The web server has URL redirects that support the Wiki. Obviously, there's a
case that fails and I need to review this.

Marty