Please join us! Fri 10/23 11am-12noon "Open Education: Student Success and Faculty Autonomy"

Anita Walz

Oct 13, 2020, 1:37:04 PM10/13/20
to OpenVA

SCHEV's Open Virginia Advisory Committee presents
Webinar II: Open Education: Student Success and Faculty Autonomy
Friday, October 23 11am-12noon Eastern

Sponsored by SCHEV's OVAC

ESL Composition II Handbook
Christopher Soholt and Yu Bai, Northern Virginia Community College
In our talk, we will showcase the ESL Composition II Handbook that we have been developing for ESL 41 at the NOVA Loudoun Campus. We are going to pilot the Handbook in the Fall semester; on October 23, we will be able to present both the instructor and the students' feedback to the Handbook and provide insights into the development of OER. We hope that our work will encourage our fellow faculty to embrace, adapt and create OER to reduce the cost for students and to improve the quality of education by making it more personalized and adaptive.

Using Open Science Framework (OSF) and GitHub to Promote Student Training and Research Transparency
Anne M. Brown, Virginia Tech
Open access practices can be a cornerstone of undergraduate research training to encourage best practices with data and research reproducibility. Our research lab utilizes platforms such as GitHub and the Open Science Framework (OSF) consistently and with a structure to train and promote research outcomes and products. In using these tools and introducing them to students early, we are promoting a culture of research training and reproducibility in our students, while also documenting and providing all workflows and tutorials that our students utilize in an open way. This approach provides a digital footprint of student work, strengthening their portfolio and recognition in the field, and making our research and training more transparent. This talk will discuss the creation and organization of a research lab centered OSF and GitHub page and how it is used by students and researchers.

Privacy and Surveillance in Digital Courseware
Judith Thomas, University of Virginia
Much digital courseware, including “inclusive access” products, pose a threat to the future of open education.  Purporting to address the textbook affordability crisis, publishers have devised automatic billing models for products that gather a lot of student data, which is then put to various uses, including product development and learning analytics.  Students must agree to privacy terms in order to access the materials, and have no say in how their data is gathered, analyzed, and used. In this talk we'll look at a few privacy notices from major vendors and discuss the ethical implications of this type of data capture.

Anita R. Walz
Associate Professor
Assistant Director for Open Education and Scholarly Communication Librarian
Library Liaison to Economics and Legal Studies
arw...@vt.edu | T: 540-231-2204 | Twitter: @arwalz
Open Educational Resources Guide http://guides.lib.vt.edu/oer
Access to University Library Resources in 2020: https://lib.vt.edu/find-borrow/library-resources-covid19.html

Virginia Tech
University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061
http://www.lib.vt.edu

Anita Walz

Oct 23, 2020, 10:29:52 AM10/23/20
to OpenVT, Library List, Anne Brown
Dear Colleagues,

One of today's speakers is Virginia Tech's Dr. Anne M. Brown (University Libraries and Dept of Biochemistry)

Please join us -- or if you cannot -- feel free to register to receive a link to the video.

_ _ _ _ _

Event series webpage (includes video links for access to past events): https://schev.edu/index/agency-info/additionalactivities/open-virginia-advisory-committee's-virtual-event-series