GetParm() - Name and Group list/manual?

Austin Stark

Oct 13, 2021, 9:59:27 PM10/13/21
to OpenVSP
Hello all,

I am automating some aircraft designs via Matlab and the OpenVSP API. When defining geometries and their parameters, I need to specify the "name" and "group" of different metrics such as the "Mass_Area" in the "Mass_Props" section. Is there a manual or list of all the different names and groups for different geometries? I have searched around and the documentation is seemingly limited in this capacity.

Any assistance or a point in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

Austin

Austin Stark

Oct 14, 2021, 12:05:53 AM10/14/21
to OpenVSP
OpenVSP makes finding most param names and groups easy to find by clicking on the labeled tab. I am curious specifically about enabling the thin shell geometry parameter through the API.

Rob McDonald

Oct 14, 2021, 1:24:17 AM10/14/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Somewhat like clicking on the buttons to see the name, group, and description, you can also drag-n-drop from the button to some other parts of OpenVSP.

One if these is the 'Design Variables' tool -- even if you aren't using it to set up a design problem, it can be a great way to explore variables.  If you drag-n-drop a variable onto the DV tool, it will 'add' that variable to the list of design variables.  Once it is in the list, you can click on that variable to populate the Name, Group, Container pull-down at the top of that GUI.

Even though the Thin Shell parm does not work with drag-n-drop, a good technique is to grab a 'nearby' Parm -- say the Density value.  Once you've done that, you can easily look at other Parms in the same Group.

Group: Mass_Props
Parms:
Density
Mass_Area
Mass_Prior
Shell_Flag

The Fit Model GUI has another way to explore variables (maybe I should add it to the Design Vars GUI) -- The 'Var Tree' gives a Tree view of all Parms listed by Container and Group.  If you don't know what you're looking for, that may be a good way to browse.

Rob