On Automation Using OpenVSP Python API and VSPAEROSweep

AYUSH SHARMA

Nov 21, 2022, 3:48:03 PM11/21/22
to OpenVSP
I have been trying to automate fuselage design using OpenVSP and a genetic algorithm optimizer. I have noticed that the previously available option of VSPAEROSinglepoint is deprecated now(version 3.31.1) and the currently available option of VSPAEROSweep uses openmp to launch the thread which has a considerable workload. Besides, it also outputs its results to the console, which increases it's runtime considerably for single point analysis. Is there any way to circumvent this issue ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Rob McDonald

Nov 21, 2022, 6:51:46 PM11/21/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com
OpenVSP does not use OpenMP to launch VSPAERO.  OpenVSP does fork a process to run VSPAERO.  It then monitors that process as it executes.  This is the same for single point and sweep analysis.

VSPAERO does use OpenMP to parallelize the computation -- it has always done this.

As long as you are running only one alpha, beta, mach point at a time, there should be no difference between the single and sweep mode of running.

There are commands in Python to redirect STDOUT so you don't have to see it.  Search the archive of this group to find those instructions.

Rob