How to define control surfaces?

catli...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2022, 2:17:14 PM7/25/22
to OpenVSP

I am a novice at OpenVSP and I am having trouble finding any information for setting up control surfaces. I have checked the OpenVSP tutorial videos on YouTube, the website, and even the AIAA document but I could not find how to set up control surface sizes and shapes. I would appreciate some guidance either where to find some documentation or a video tutorial.

Michael Catlin

yixi zhang

Jul 26, 2022, 9:01:44 AM7/26/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com
hello Michael,

i am not very sure i got your question,  please find if this solution can answer your question.
(WINGGeom-Sub-Type Control_Surf), you can modify the length and the angle of the control surface.

image.png

Best regards
Yixi

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 2:17 AM catli...@gmail.com <catli...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am a novice at OpenVSP and I am having trouble finding any information for setting up control surfaces. I have checked the OpenVSP tutorial videos on YouTube, the website, and even the AIAA document but I could not find how to set up control surface sizes and shapes. I would appreciate some guidance either where to find some documentation or a video tutorial.

Michael Catlin

catli...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2022, 10:21:09 AM7/26/22
to OpenVSP
Yixi,

I followed your lead and created a standard wing in OpenVSP 3.28.0 and when I changed the Type to Control Surf and clicking on Add nothing happens.  I expected the menu to open as in your example.  I have attached a picture with my open menu and the image of your open menu from your email to illustrate the issue.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Michael Catlin
Screenshot from 2022-07-26 10-14-39.png

Rob McDonald

Jul 26, 2022, 8:15:13 PM7/26/22
to OpenVSP
3.28.0 had a bug where control surfaces did not appear in the Wing GUI to be created.  This bug has been fixed in 3.29.0

Rob

catli...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2022, 11:49:51 AM7/27/22
to OpenVSP
Thanks for the help.  I upgraded from 3.28 to 3.29 and that solved the problem.