Moving VSPGeom origin along UW

Juan

Nov 26, 2022, 5:56:30 PM11/26/22
to OpenVSP
Hi everyone,

Two questions about UW coordinates and their use when attaching geometries to one another:

  1. Is there a way to move a vspgeom's origin along its UW coordinates? For example, a Pod geom has its origin right at the nose of the pod, but is it possible to move that origin along its UW coordinates?
  2. Is it possible to attach two vspgeoms using the UW coordinates of the parent and child relative to one another? (u_1, w_1 and u_2, w_2)

I'm trying to attach a pod to a pylon on a wing taking advantage of UW coordinates for all but when I try attaching the pod to the pylon, in UW, I'm forced to adding a relative distance between the pylon and the pod (pod being a child of the pylon). If I could move the pod's origin to UW (0.5, 0) I could then attach it to the pylon at UW (1,0.5) so that the pod is attached to the pylon at 50% of its length. What's the best way to do this? I tried using a blank geometry, but the blank ends up being attached to the pod and I can't figure out how to use that blank as an attachment point to the pylon. Another option I tried was with Parameter Links but I'm wondering if there's an easier way. (I'm attaching an example geometry here for reference)

Thank you,
Juan
wing_pylon_pod.vsp3

Rob McDonald

Nov 27, 2022, 2:09:01 AM11/27/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com
At this time, you can not change the location of a part's origin.  I've thought about it, but haven't convinced myself that the user confusion is worth the added functionality.

I would suggest you use parameter linking if you really need this -- just link the relative offset to be equal to half of the component's length.

Rob