Side force stability sign convention clarification

Alan Duong

Apr 13, 2020, 9:09:30 AM4/13/20
to OpenVSP
Hello,

I'm running a stability analysis to calculate the stability derivatives and have run into something that is unexpected.

For reference, my aircraft has a symmetric vertical tail that is set to 0 degree deflection as the base.

When I run the stability calculation, my CS_beta value is positive. This is indicative of a positive side force. However, it is my understanding that positive sideslip is comes from the right to left (if you look at the aircraft top-down, positive y going out to the right wing).

My question is, why am I seeing a positive CS_beta value, I would expect to see negative CS_beta values.

Is there a sign convention that I am not aware of or how vsp handles the calculations?

Best,

Alan

woeile...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2021, 11:17:13 PM1/3/21
to OpenVSP
Exactly the same problem I am running into. I don't have the answer, but I am leaving a comment here to keep myself notified just in case if someone has answer.

aland...@gmail.com 在 2020年4月13日 星期一下午9:09:30 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道: