Run time errors

Jonathan Howes

Feb 24, 2023, 1:07:40 PM2/24/23
to OpenVSP
Hi,

I am new to OpenVSP. I'm getting an error when attempting to run an imported mesh. A fried has successfully run the same mesh on a different machine. OpenVSP works OK when building geometry from within the app but the imported .stl file gives the following error messages;

ERROR 7: Could not open History file: Unnamed_VSPGeom.history
        File: D:\a\OpenVSP\OpenVSP\src\geom_core\VSPAEROMgr.cpp         Line:2242
ERROR 7: Could not open Polar file: Unnamed_VSPGeom.polar
        File: D:\a\OpenVSP\OpenVSP\src\geom_core\VSPAEROMgr.cpp         Line:2422
ERROR 7: Could not open Load file: Unnamed_VSPGeom.lod
        File: D:\a\OpenVSP\OpenVSP\src\geom_core\VSPAEROMgr.cpp         Line:2665

Error: Aerothermal database (*.adb) file not found. Execute VSPAERO before running the CpSlicer

OpenVSP is installed in a sub-directory on my c: drive. My d: drive is purely a hard drive backup and should not be referenced by any installed program. I'm using Windows 11.

Help please?

Jon

Rob McDonald

Feb 24, 2023, 1:15:15 PM2/24/23
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Those are messages that OpenVSP can't find or open the VSPAERO output files.  So OpenVSP complains.

Unfortunately, it doesn't tell us anything about why VSPAERO complained -- that may appear in the console window when you run VSPAERO.

In general, OpenVSP and associated tools are set up to work on geometry created in OpenVSP.  Sometimes external geometry will work, but it can be a challenge.

Rob

Jonathan Howes

Feb 27, 2023, 9:49:49 AM2/27/23
to OpenVSP
Those error messages were from the console window.

I've also just noticed that simply opening OpenVSP gives these errors, again, in the console window:

'ccx' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
'cgx' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Which suggests to me that there is a script error somewhere. I looked through all the scripts and nothing lines up however.

Note that this was without loading or importing anything, The model that I was trying to run has run on a friend's computer using Ubuntu (Linux) so this seems to be a Windows compatibility issue.

Rob McDonald

Feb 27, 2023, 2:27:06 PM2/27/23
to OpenVSP
I know the errors are from the console window and that they pop up at startup.

They are still because OpenVSP is checking for CalculiX solver and visualization programs and can not find them.

The message is silent on Linux because Linux is better behaved when you search the operating system for a program.  I can probably silence it on Windows too, but this was only recently added and I haven't had time to track it down.

It has nothing to do with scripting.  It has nothing to do with compatibility.

This can be safely ignored unless you want to use CalculiX.  If you do -- then you should install it and put it in your path where OpenVSP can find it.

Rob

Jonathan Howes

Mar 13, 2023, 12:59:00 PM3/13/23
to OpenVSP
I've had another try using an older version of OpenVSP (3.30.0) in case there was a version specific issue. The command window is still showing the same messages:

ERROR 7: Could not open History file: Unnamed_VSPGeom.history
        File: D:\a\OpenVSP\OpenVSP\src\geom_core\VSPAEROMgr.cpp         Line:2242
ERROR 7: Could not open Polar file: Unnamed_VSPGeom.polar
        File: D:\a\OpenVSP\OpenVSP\src\geom_core\VSPAEROMgr.cpp         Line:2422
ERROR 7: Could not open Load file: Unnamed_VSPGeom.lod
        File: D:\a\OpenVSP\OpenVSP\src\geom_core\VSPAEROMgr.cpp         Line:2665

Error: Aerothermal database (*.adb) file not found. Execute VSPAERO before running the CpSlicer

As it seems to be attempting to open files from my D: drive this is clearly not correct as it's directory is located on my C: drive. The D: drive is purely a backup on my machine and should not be accessed by any installed programme.

As previously noted, my machine is running Windows 11.

The in-app console window displays:

C:\Users\jonat\OneDrive\Desktop\OpenVSP-3.31.1-win64\vspaero.exe -omp 4 Unnamed_VSPGeom
VSPAERO v.6.4.5 --- Compiled on: Nov 11 2022 at 00:55:06 PST

Initializing OPENMP for 4 threads

NumberOfThreads_: 4

Mach: 0.000000

AoA: 0.000000

ReCref_: 10000000.000000

Sref            = 13.500000

Cref            = 1.370000

Bref            = 11.500000

X_cg            = 1.170000

Y_cg            = 0.000000

Z_cg            = 0.000000

Mach            = 0.000000

AoA             = 0.000000, 5.000000, 10.000000

Beta            = 0.000000

Vinf            = 100.000000

Vref            = 100.000000

Rho             = 0.002377

ReCref          = 10000000.000000

ClMax           = -1.000000

Clo2D           = 0.000000

MaxTurningAngle = -1.000000

Symmetry        = NO

FarDist         = -1.000000

NumWakeNodes    = 64

WakeIters       = 3

NumberOfControlGroups = 0

NumberOfQuadTrees: 1

QuadTree(1):          2:    0.00000

NumNodes: 11159

MaxNumberOfGridLevels_: 24

NumTris: 22314

VSPGEOM defined NumKuttaNodes: 0

Found 1 VSPGEOM Surfaces

DumChar: # VSPGEOM Tag Key File

DumChar: Unnamed_VSPGeom.vspgeom

DumChar: 0

NumberOfVSPSurfaces: 0

DumChar:

DumChar: # tag#,geom#,surf#,gname,gid,ssname1,ssname2,...,ssid1,ssid2,...

NumberOfKuttaNodes after trimming: 41

NumberOfKuttaNodes: 41

NumberOfKuttaEdges: 38

Working on VortexSheet: 1

Found a starting wake sheet node...

VortexSheet: 1 finished... and 33 out of 41 kutta nodes are now allocated

Working on VortexSheet: 2

Found a starting wake sheet node...

VortexSheet: 2 finished... and 37 out of 41 kutta nodes are now allocated

Working on VortexSheet: 3

Found a starting wake sheet node...

VortexSheet: 3 finished... and 41 out of 41 kutta nodes are now allocated

Done

No results are produced. Is this fixable or a Windows 11 intractability?

Thanks for looking,

Jon

Rob McDonald

Mar 13, 2023, 1:05:51 PM3/13/23
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Those messages simply mean that VSPAERO crashed and OpenVSP is not able to open the output files *.history, *.polar, and *.lod.

The error message is referencing where in the source code the line to read those files resides.  The fact that it is on a D: drive means that the file was located on a D:drive when it was compiled.  Either on the GitHub server (for an official binary) or on a user's computer when they compiled it themselves.

OpenVSP is not looking for anything on the D: drive when this error prints.

I am not sure why your VSPAERO case is crashing.  Start with something simple and work up from there.

Rob

Brandon Litherland

Mar 13, 2023, 2:20:02 PM3/13/23
to OpenVSP
Disregard the error messages.  As Rob stated, these occur when VSPAERO can't run and fails to find the output files.  You can find similar examples of these cases on the forum by searching for the error message.

Your original post states that you are trying to run an imported mesh which someone else was able to run on their machine.  Do you mean that they were able to analyze the mesh in OpenVSP/VSPAERO on another computer or in another program entirely?  Rob mentions in his first response that the OpenVSP analyses and tools are generally intended to work with OpenVSP geometry.  They aren't geometry agnostic.  Most tools aren't.  While you _can_ import meshes into OpenVSP and perform some analyses, it is indeed challenging even with a quality mesh.  What exactly are you trying to accomplish?  Why use an imported mesh instead of building the model in VSP?  Is the geometry something that an inviscid, potential code would be able to analyze?