Cannot analyze with fuselage attached

Jensen G

Nov 19, 2022, 2:53:39 PM11/19/22
to OpenVSP
Hello,

I'm building a model in openvsp for SAE aero design (college senior project). I'm attaching my model below.

I cannot, for the life of me, get an analysis running on this. I would like to get lift/drag distributions and control surface loads specifically. I have better luck removing the fuselage and that will run in vspaero. I keep getting "note.. mesh may not be closed". I think this may be issue, but im not sure how to resolve it. Any help would be appreciated.

deltawingft.vsp3

Jensen G

Nov 19, 2022, 4:02:13 PM11/19/22
to OpenVSP
From searching , I see that rounded rectangle cross sections may be the issue. However I am not using them in this model.

Rob McDonald

Nov 19, 2022, 4:42:15 PM11/19/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com
You are using manual edit cross sections to create rectangles.  This introduces two problems.

1) They still have the problem that the sides collapse flat when running in VLM mode.

2) Unless you adjust the U_i values around your curve, the loft lines will not connect the corners together.  This can lead to some very strange feature lines that your model exhibits.  This will also be reflected in the mesh quality -- which will be very odd when smashed to VLM.

Control surface deflection currently only works in VLM mode.  So, you'll want to resolve all the above problems.  You will need more spanwise resolution for your model.

If you really want the fuselage included in your VLM, then I would change the cross sections to ellipses with the same width and height.

If it were me, I would just drop the fuselage and use the wing and tail combination for your purposes.  I would also drop the small cockpit blister on top of the fuselage.

For other purposes, you may still want the fuselage in the model -- I would switch the cross sections to rounded rectangles with zero radius corners.  Keep the 'Key Corner' button 'on' and it will connect the corners together in a nice way.

Rob

Jensen G

Nov 19, 2022, 4:53:51 PM11/19/22
to OpenVSP