Adjoint Method

lucas sanches

Jul 24, 2024, 8:32:45 AM (3 days ago) Jul 24
to OpenVSP
  Hello, I am working with gradient-based aerodynamic shape optimization, and I would like to know if the adjoint method has been implemented in OpenVSP and, if so, whether it is available for the Python API.

Thank you.
Lucas.

lucas sanches

Jul 24, 2024, 8:35:31 AM (3 days ago) Jul 24
to OpenVSP
  I have seen that it was being developed, is it already done?

Rob McDonald

Jul 24, 2024, 12:38:45 PM (3 days ago) Jul 24
to OpenVSP
VSPAERO has an adjoint capability.  It has not been integrated into the OpenVSP GUI or the API.  to use it, you must run VSPAERO from the command line.

This capability is very much experimental.  In fact, it has all been ripped out and re-done.  The updated version will be released at the end of the year, or early next year.

Rob