OpenVSP 3.52.1. Strange values of roll , pitch and yaw moments.

95 views
Skip to first unread message

Mike Novikov

unread,
Sep 21, 2026, 9:17:14 AM (7 days ago) Sep 21
to OpenVSP
Please check out this simple plane case that I made to demonstrate the strange behavior of the plane's moments.
The pictures show the results of runs with two different tail deflections (10 and -10 degrees).
I expect that with β = 0 (the geometry is symmetrical), I will get the same magnitudes for all moments, but the roll and yaw will have opposite signs.
As you can see, even the pitching moment differs by 18% in magnitude.
Could someone explain where I am wrong? 
Test.vsp3
Test-R-10.jpg
Test-R+10.jpg

Mike Novikov

unread,
Sep 22, 2026, 3:55:34 AM (6 days ago) Sep 22
to OpenVSP
For version 3.49.0, the difference in moments is much smaller!

понедельник, 21 сентября 2026 г. в 17:17:14 UTC+4, Mike Novikov:

Rob McDonald

unread,
Sep 23, 2026, 11:58:21 PM (4 days ago) Sep 23
to OpenVSP
I've pushed up a 3.52.2 with a fix that might also be this -- please give it a try.

Rob

Mike Novikov

unread,
7:53 AM (4 hours ago) 7:53 AM
to OpenVSP
I checked version 3.53.0. It looks like the difference is within 10% for the test case (I updated the panel distribution a bit to make it more feasible: Test2.vsp3).
For CMytot, the difference is still 10%; I believe that's a big value.
In a different (more complex) project, I got a difference of up to 24% in Cmxtot and 19% in Cmytot.

Should I try 3.52.2?


четверг, 24 сентября 2026 г. в 07:58:21 UTC+4, Rob McDonald:
3.53.0-V2.jpg
Test2.vsp3
3.53.0-V1.jpg
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages