Control Surfaces by Python API

Alexandre Aniol

Apr 11, 2024, 8:54:06 AMApr 11
to OpenVSP
Hello, I'd like to add a control surface to my model, but the dimensions are wrong, as it spans from UStart = 0.4 to UEnd 0.6. I guess i have to turn on a flag for Eta, but i don''t know how. Thank you for the help.

wing_id = vsp.AddGeom("WING")

cs_id = vsp.AddSubSurf(wing_id, vsp.SS_CONTROL)

vsp.SetParmVal(wing_id, "EtaStart", "SS_Control_1",  0.1)
vsp.SetParmVal(wing_id, "EtaEnd", "SS_Control_1", 0.4)
vsp.SetParmVal(wing_id, "Length_C_Start", "SS_Control_1", 0.2)

vsp.AutoGroupVSPAEROControlSurfaces()
vsp.Update

vsp.WriteFile("CS_wing.vsp3")
test_cs.py

Rob McDonald

Apr 12, 2024, 11:50:09 PMApr 12
to OpenVSP
You're going to need the "EtaFlag" to be set to 1.

Rob

Alexandre Aniol

Apr 13, 2024, 6:38:41 AMApr 13
to OpenVSP
Thank you! Is there a ways to see all options in a specific group?

Rob McDonald

Apr 13, 2024, 11:19:32 AMApr 13
to OpenVSP
I often use the 'Design Variables' GUI for this.

1) Open Design Variables GUI.
2) Drag-n-drop 'nearby' variable from the label button to the Design Variables GUI.
       It should appear as an available design var.
3) Click on the variable in the Design Variable list
4) Examine the Parm Chooser above -- Container, Group, Parm

Rob