Adjoint formulation in vspaero?

jordi nosaurio

May 4, 2022, 8:03:18 AM5/4/22
to OpenVSP
Hello All,
Does anyone tried the adjoint formulation in vspaero to run optimization problems?.
I have seen this talk:
about running an optimization problem for a wing, and I think is very very cool!.
I think coupling the fast running capability of vspaero with an adjoint method could be a terrific tool!
Unfortunately, I cannot figure out myself how to set up the process, and I could not find much info out there (considering that the talk is pretty recent)
Thank you
jordi

Rob McDonald

May 4, 2022, 11:38:49 AM5/4/22
to OpenVSP
The adjoint version of VSPAERO is not really ready for public use.

Some of the code is released - but the adjoint version is not compiled in the release version.

Since that release, a ton of changes have happened to that code, but it is still very much in active development.

Rob

jordi nosaurio

May 4, 2022, 12:04:19 PM5/4/22
to OpenVSP
Thank you Rob,
Great development effort!. If you guys need a  "guinea pig" to test or collaborate, let me know, although I am not really into professional code development, just on the user side.
cheers

jordi nosaurio

Aug 1, 2022, 3:49:38 PM8/1/22
to OpenVSP
Seems that you get into consideration our suggestion in:
OpenVSP 3.29.0 new release:
"There are now adjoint and complex step derivative versions of the VSPAERO solver."
Time to sit tight and test
Thank you!