The role of Clmax, Max turning angle, and Far field Dist

Cheol-Kyun Choi

Aug 7, 2018, 8:52:38 PM8/7/18
to OpenVSP
Good morning Everyone?

In the advanced option of VSPAero, "other " section, there are those 3 things we can change.
I can guess that Clmax limit the calculation
But what is the other option's role?

Thank you

deenri...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2022, 4:55:32 PM11/12/22
to OpenVSP
*bump*

Would be useful to know what these parameters do in more detail.

Rob McDonald

Nov 13, 2022, 12:47:01 AM11/13/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com
There are two stall models available.  One applies a limit to the 2D clmax -- user specified.  The force summation will be 'clipped' when that lift is attained.

The other uses a Cp limiting process, where the magnitude of the limit is determined by a number of factors.

As mentioned in the other thread, Cp is a post-procesing operation, so these limits are applied at the time the forces and moments are summed, they don't change the underlying solution.

I believe the max turning angle parameter is similar to the 2D clmax.  I have not had occasion to use it.

The far field distance adjusts a parameter for how far downstream the wake is modeled.  I believe it is a ratio to the model length.  For most conventional aircraft, the overall aircraft length is long compared to the chord of the wing, so the default setting is fine.  I have seen flying wing models where the wakes were undesirably short, so adjusting this parameter can be useful.

The Ground effect distance turns on the ground effect model and places the ground at the specified distance below the model coordinate system.

Rob